Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
"According to CIRP’s analysis, the 5c accounted for 27 percent of iPhone sales during the time period surveyed — just slightly more than the 23 percent captured by the 4S during the same period last year. "

http://allthingsd.com/20131014/iphone-5s-outselling-iphone-5c-two-to-one/

You still don't get it? This stuff is useless. It doesn't really show the actual numbers unless you've got access to Apple's numbers.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You still don't get it? This stuff is useless. It doesn't really show the actual numbers unless you've got access to Apple's numbers.

I do get it. Website collect data about which iPhone models access certain sites. They can extract a lot of data from which iPhone model numbers that access those sites.

Apple has never broken down sales numbers from different iPhones being sold.

But carriers have. Verizon said in Q2 they sold 50% iPhone 4/4s vs iPhone 5. That's a tell tale sign which phones are being sold.

If the 5C isn't selling any better than a one year old 4S, apple's marketing has failed.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
If the 5C isn't selling any better than a one year old 4S, apple's marketing has failed.

Why fail? Both are one year old $99 phones. The difference being the 5c is much cheaper to assemble than a 5 now, or a 4s last year. In the end they sold the same amount of a 1 year old $99 midrange phone, but at a reduced cost.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Why fail? Both are one year old $99 phones. The difference being the 5c is much cheaper to assemble than a 5 now, or a 4s last year. In the end they sold the same amount of a 1 year old $99 midrange phone, but at a reduced cost.

This.

What makes this phone a failure again?

Some people will never ever get it...

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Yes. At iphone 5c is assembled at a reduced cost. But more expensive ad campaign. It ain't cheap running ads on prime time TV per 30 second slots for the iPhone 5C.

The 4S had zero ad time after iPhone 5 release last year.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Yes. At iphone 5c is assembled at a reduced cost. But more expensive ad campaign. It ain't cheap running ads on prime time TV per 30 second slots for the iPhone 5C.

The 4S had zero ad time after iPhone 5 release last year.

This is true... I just don't think it's failed just because of that though. I think it's too early to tell

Last edited:

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
One of the main reasons for its existence is supply. Not having a phone that uses the same body as the 5S means the supply of materials can be focused strictly on the construction and sale of the 5S, which is needed given the high demand and low supply.

If right now they were shipping both the 5 and 5S, there would be a lot less 5Ss out and about.

Apple isn't stupid. They anticipated high demand and among other reasons, went with a plastic enclosure to minimize the shortage.
well said

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Apple is only genius if their plan works. That is, the 5c sells. Indications suggest this not the case though.

Initial estimates in the US indicate that the 5c is selling very well. To the tune of being either the number 2 or 3 handset at the Big4 carriers. How do you figure that the 5c isn't selling?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Initial estimates in the US indicate that the 5c is selling very well. To the tune of being either the number 2 or 3 handset at the Big4 carriers. How do you figure that the 5c isn't selling?

You should read my post more carefully. If you think there are no indications it isn't selling well, you must be living under a rock. And, if you are, this article summarizes them pretty well:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/tech/mobile/iphone-5c-flop/

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You should read my post more carefully. If you think there are no indications it isn't selling well, you must be living under a rock. And, if you are, this article summarizes them pretty well:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/tech/mobile/iphone-5c-flop/
ok, so Apple sells 9 million iPhone5s/5c in the first weekend. Let's say it's a 3:1 mix between the 5s and 5c. That's still 2.3 million. I don't have the data, but it's a pretty good bet that the 5c is probably the 2nd or 3rd best selling phone in the world since 9/22. Tell me again how that's a flop. Bonus points if you can convince me without resorting to supply chain rumors.

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
ok, so Apple sells 9 million iPhone5s/5c in the first weekend. Let's say it's a 3:1 mix between the 5s and 5c. That's still 2.3 million. I don't have the data, but it's a pretty good bet that the 5c is probably the 2nd or 3rd best selling phone in the world since 9/22. Tell me again how that's a flop. Bonus points if you can convince me without resorting to supply chain rumors.

Again, you are troubled with reading comprehension. Indications, be it they accurate or not, state that the 5c is not selling well. Dispute that.

OK, I'll connect the dots for you. Indication = a sign or piece of information that indicates something. We are experiencing information, be it relevant to the actual sales of the 5c or not, pertaining to the 5c that we have never seen with the launch of a new iPhone. Cuts in production, from multiple independent sources, during its very first month, despite an all out media blitz of TV commercials at every commercial break, front page on apple.com, and all the displays at the Apple Store.

Usage information is showing actual 5c use is being buried by 5S use. Now, the 5S appears to have been way under produced, while the 5c is ubiquitously available. What we are going to see, when 5S supply finally meets demand, which doesn't appear to be any time soon, 5c use compared to 5S use is going to be a very tiny fraction. And this is already being seen in non-US use, where the 5c was supposed to excel.

Last edited:

balzz

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Only a fool would believe Apple is in this to "make a great product and great experiences". They are in it for the money.

Whoa there...a public company that exists to make money? That's just crazy talk.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple is only genius if their plan works. That is, the 5c sells. Indications suggest this not the case though.

Apple doesn't have to sell a single 5c - what counts is total sales.

Customer goes to the store, looks at the 5c, it looks quite nice, but then they see the 5s which for just $100 more is so much nicer. Now the 5s looks like a bargain and they buy. No 5c sale, but Apple is just as happy, even slightly happier.

Now if there was no 5c, there would be nothing the 5s can be compared to. That makes it harder to sell. Plus there are people coming into the store for the 5c (and leaving with a 5s), who wouldn't have bought _any_ iPhone.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Again, you are troubled with reading comprehension. Indications, be it they accurate or not, state that the 5c is not selling well. Dispute that.

Snip
Look. Here's a fact for you. The 5c is, at worst, the third best selling phone in the US. Probably true worldwide as well.

How can that be a flop on anyone's world?

Is it selling up to the expectations of Wall Street and/or the tech media? Hmm, maybe, maybe not. What's more important is whether it's selling up to apples expectation.

As for those "indications" you seem to talk about, they're worthless. Usage stats from two firms that have clients named Samsung, Microsoft, and Google don't impress me. Also, supply chain rumors are even more worthless since no one knows how whether the 50/35/20% cuts in production were planned or not.

Hey, you may be right and the 5c is a colossal failure. I'll trust in Apples track record on this one. The great thing is that apple will let us know exactly how well the 5s/5c are selling in 10 days.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Mad? No. Annoyed yes. Mad just to be mad? No.

But annoyed because Apple is essentially calling the 5c a new phone. It's not. But anytime you tell the Apple fanbase that something is "new", the Apple fanbase automatically equates "new" with "better." And the 5c is NOT better than my iPhone 5.

You can cut it any way you want it, but when Apple introduces a phone at a keynote they are saying it's "new."

And, by the way, I'm not "stuck" on my iPhone 5. I choose to be here. The 5s has nothing for me and going to the 5c is either a crossgrade or a downgrade (I choose the later).

As to what Apple can and can't have, well, whatever. But if I know I am going to be paying a "premium" price for an Apple product I am going to spend my money to get the best of the lot. Why pay premium if you didn't buy the top model?

Ex: My friend way back in 1996 bought his very first car. He was so happy to have a Ford Mustang as the first. But when you looked at it, he rolled off the showroom floor in a base model V6 with plastic hubcaps, manual windows and a cd controller that kept falling off the dash (that the Ford dealer somehow couldn't keep where it belonged).

My point is, if I am going to be paying through the nose for something, I am NOT paying expensive money for less than the top of the line when it's my money to spend.

That's just me. Apple sells to those that are willing to buy less. Hence the 5c.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 5C in fact IS a better phone than your 5, whether you're willing to accept that or not. Better LTE support and front facing camera than the 5.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 5C in fact IS a better phone than your 5, whether you're willing to accept that or not. Better LTE support and front facing camera than the 5.
I can accept that it has certain improved (better) components, including the ones you cite.

I deny and will continue to deny that a plastic case is better than metal. But that's just my opinion (again) and only means something to me. I will say that if I do want the 5c experience all I have to do is go buy a plastic case.

NuggetSauce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
The 5c seems unnecessary. If people want an iPhone thats $100 less than the flagship model, buying the previous gen model was perfectly fine, and was a good way for Apple to avoid having too much surplus. It also prevented fragmentation of their user base, which is very beneficial to using apps. And the aluminum enclosure was a signature Apple characteristic. Making plastic iPhones makes it less distinguishable from the competition.

When people look back on Apples missteps and triumphs, I think the 5c will be considered a misstep.

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond
The only 'genius' here is how Apple can repackage old tech and make even higher profits off suckers Apple fanboys.

Apple has the remarkable ability to get otherwise intelligent people to suck up to the Cupertino company and go along with anything Apple does. They'll even attack those who dare express themselves as though they have a mind of their own. It's a lock step march to enrich Apple, then brag about Apples wealth as though it's their own. Now that is the magic only Apple could create. The Jobs effect in full swing. I must say it's quite impressive.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple has the remarkable ability to get otherwise intelligent people to suck up to the Cupertino company and go along with anything Apple does. They'll even attack those who dare express themselves as though they have a mind of their own. It's a lock step march to enrich Apple, then brag about Apples wealth as though it's their own. Now that is the magic only Apple could create. The Jobs effect in full swing. I must say it's quite impressive.
I've said it elsewhere, but I will repeat it here…

It will be interesting to note just how great the 5c and 5s are next year when the 6 comes out. My iPhone 5 now all of a sudden makes me a socially discontinued pariah because I'm using old tech. But just how many of those trumpeting the greatness of these currently new phones will be doing so next year?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013

It will be interesting to note just how great the 5c and 5s are next year when the 6 comes out. My iPhone 5 now all of a sudden makes me a socially discontinued pariah because I'm using old tech. But just how many of those trumpeting the greatness of these currently new phones will be doing so next year?

I have to agree... The 5s is just incremental. The 6 should be a leap

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond

I agree.

Apple has programmed vast numbers of their followers to actually believe they need the latest. I stayed with my iPhone 5 not because I really like it, but nothing about the 5S is of benefit to me.

After buying a new iPhone each year, it no longer appeals when the new phone is nearly identical. Maybe iPhone 6 will be fresh and new.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have to agree... The 5s is just incremental. The 6 should be a leap
It's been said here too a few times that the 5s is more of a upgrade for those on the 4s. I can see that and I believe it.

I waited a full year to avoid buying the 4s because I do NOT like that phone. I'm glad it landed me on the full version number upgrade patch (the TIC to the TOC as it were). The "s" phones are marginal upgrades and by the time my contract is up it's a full version number.

Everyone is talking up and buying the 5c and 5s this year. I'll be in the market for the 6 next year. Even so, I'm not programmed to need the latest (it's nice, but I had an old WinMo phone for three years with a GUI I really liked and worked hard to customize). Had I had the money I would still not have gotten either phone this year. They have nothing to offer me really and my iPhone 5 is still functional. And, I really, really like the design and feel.

Maybe that's because I was a Windows person first before I ever came over to Apple. It's only been ten years for me. That and I'm not a big Koolaid drinker I guess. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.