Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
Okay, so I need to do some graphic work, and I don't wanna buy Photoshop, and I hear the GIMP is a great alternative. So I download 2.2.1 off Version Tracker, but I have no clue how to use it. Not in a I don't know what to do way, but I have no clue how to even install it and start it up. It downloads, unzips and leaves this folder full of stuff. Help. Please. :confused:

EDIT: Okay. So I found a later version 2.2.6, and I did a grad and drop install. I try to use it, but it says I don't have X11 installed. I do not have X11 installed. I tried to install it, but it said it cannot install it on my machine, because I have newer software on it, which I do not as far as X11 goes. I read one other thread, with a person having this problem. That thread was no help really, I'm hoping you guys can be.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Guitarius said:
Okay, so I need to do some graphic work, and I don't wanna buy Photoshop, and I hear the GIMP is a great alternative. So I download 2.2.1 off Version Tracker, but I have no clue how to use it. Not in a I don't know what to do way, but I have no clue how to even install it and start it up. It downloads, unzips and leaves this folder full of stuff. Help. Please. :confused:

EDIT: Okay. So I found a later version 2.2.6, and I did a grad and drop install. I try to use it, but it says I don't have X11 installed. I do not have X11 installed. I tried to install it, but it said it cannot install it on my machine, because I have newer software on it, which I do not as far as X11 goes. I read one other thread, with a person having this problem. That thread was no help really, I'm hoping you guys can be.
You need to install X11 off of the Tiger CD. Go into the Disc and click on the "Installed Bundled Applications" or something like that. Find the X11.pkg and install. Should work...

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
ham_man said:
You need to install X11 off of the Tiger CD. Go into the Disc and click on the "Installed Bundled Applications" or something like that. Find the X11.pkg and install. Should work...
Okay, I did that, but I don't think it installed right. I can't find it on my computer, and GIMP still isn't working.

EDIT: Okay. It's working now. I have no clue why. But it's working. Thanks a bunch.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Guitarius said:

Get Gimp.app from www.gimp.org/macintosh/ or from Apple.com . Should work like a charm.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
If you find GIMP interface hard to use, then download GIMPSHOP - the interface as been modified to look like Photoshop.

Download it from here

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
If you still can't get X11 on your system, download it here.

However there a couple of questions that I have about GIMP and GIMPshop.

Is GIMPshop a plug-in to GIMP, or an entirely new programme??
If it is an entirely new programme can someone explain how to install it, as the insturctions given in the .dmg are not very clear.

Thanks for the help

::20ROGERSC::

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
20rogersc said:
If you still can't get X11 on your system, download it here.

However there a couple of questions that I have about GIMP and GIMPshop.

Is GIMPshop a plug-in to GIMP, or an entirely new programme??
If it is an entirely new programme can someone explain how to install it, as the insturctions given in the .dmg are not very clear.

Thanks for the help

It's not a plugin-in. It's a modification of The GIMP, so in some way it's a new program.

As for installation... I remember just dragging it to my Applications folder :confused:

Edit: Either that or it was a standard install package. My memory is a but fuzzy.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Thanks Dubbz.

I will try dragging it in again, but for some reason last time it would open with X11. I will have a play and see what happens, I was just suprised as GIMP was an install package I seem to remember.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.