The GIMP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Guitarius, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Okay, so I need to do some graphic work, and I don't wanna buy Photoshop, and I hear the GIMP is a great alternative. So I download 2.2.1 off Version Tracker, but I have no clue how to use it. Not in a I don't know what to do way, but I have no clue how to even install it and start it up. It downloads, unzips and leaves this folder full of stuff. Help. Please. :confused:

EDIT: Okay. So I found a later version 2.2.6, and I did a grad and drop install. I try to use it, but it says I don't have X11 installed. I do not have X11 installed. I tried to install it, but it said it cannot install it on my machine, because I have newer software on it, which I do not as far as X11 goes. I read one other thread, with a person having this problem. That thread was no help really, I'm hoping you guys can be.

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You need to install X11 off of the Tiger CD. Go into the Disc and click on the "Installed Bundled Applications" or something like that. Find the X11.pkg and install. Should work...

3. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Okay, I did that, but I don't think it installed right. I can't find it on my computer, and GIMP still isn't working.

EDIT: Okay. It's working now. I have no clue why. But it's working. Thanks a bunch.

4. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Get Gimp.app from www.gimp.org/macintosh/ or from Apple.com . Should work like a charm.

5. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

If you find GIMP interface hard to use, then download GIMPSHOP - the interface as been modified to look like Photoshop.

Download it from here

6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

If you still can't get X11 on your system, download it here.

However there a couple of questions that I have about GIMP and GIMPshop.

Is GIMPshop a plug-in to GIMP, or an entirely new programme??
    If it is an entirely new programme can someone explain how to install it, as the insturctions given in the .dmg are not very clear.

Thanks for the help

::20ROGERSC::

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

It's not a plugin-in. It's a modification of The GIMP, so in some way it's a new program.

As for installation... I remember just dragging it to my Applications folder :confused:

Edit: Either that or it was a standard install package. My memory is a but fuzzy.

8. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Thanks Dubbz.

I will try dragging it in again, but for some reason last time it would open with X11. I will have a play and see what happens, I was just suprised as GIMP was an install package I seem to remember.

::20ROGERSC::