Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Well our stuck lil buddy, on mars of all places to get stuck, is out roving around and doing its thing again.
Why to go team!
Link
The Opportunity Mars rover is on the move again, but it took nearly five weeks of frustrating work for controllers back on Earth to make it happen.

And now, great care is being taken not to have a repeat performance of the six-wheeled robot getting bogged down in martian sand dunes within its zone of exploration at Meridiani Planum. Before a new traverse gets underway, Mars teams are piecing together as top priority a strategy to avoid similar dunes in the future.

"When we hit the dune, we were doing what we call a 'blind drive'", said Steve Squyres of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York and the principal investigator for the science instruments aboard both Opportunity and Spirit rovers.

reminds me of the old thread where I guy went home in blinding snow, down hill very fast, through intersections.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I noticed this the other day - its quite amazing that the things are still running. It doesn't quite make up for all the earlier mission failures, but it certainly helps a bit.

Hopefully the next mission to the South Pole will run as smoothly.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.