Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenaz Filan

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
Is there a particular reseller that people favor? I've purchased a 1,1 several years ago from MacOfAllTrades, no complaints, but I see that OWC resells used MacPros, in addition to Operator Headgap and so on. Any favorites out there in terms of machine condition upon arrival? Clean, fully tested, refurbished if necessary, etc.

I just picked up a 12-core 5,1 (flashed from 4,1) from iPowerResale and was entirely satisfied with the transaction. The price was right ($1100 for a 3.06 machine that was sold as "B stock" but which had little cosmetic damage that I could see) and the packaging excellent. And once I slipped an SSD in she is an absolute beast with speed and power to spare. He may even have a few of these machines left at that price and if he does I would encourage you to grab one.

Mileham

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
Cascadia
I just picked up a 12-core 5,1 (flashed from 4,1) from iPowerResale and was entirely satisfied with the transaction. The price was right ($1100 for a 3.06 machine that was sold as "B stock" but which had little cosmetic damage that I could see) and the packaging excellent. And once I slipped an SSD in she is an absolute beast with speed and power to spare. He may even have a few of these machines left at that price and if he does I would encourage you to grab one.

Thanks, I am not familiar with that reseller. I will check it out!

TheMuffnMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2016
They have an eBay store and a website. The model I purchased is still available on eBay: for $300 more you can get the 3.46 ghz model and have bragging rights to the Fastest Mac Pro Available.

Man, I had no idea they were selling for that much. I'd consider selling mine.

I've got the X5650 hex-core processors upgraded but also added a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, the Apple AirPort 802.11n, and a second Super Drive.

StlCards80

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2017
St Louis, MO
I just ordered new from B&H yesterday, and for whatever reason I'm paranoid that I'm going to get a refurb. Has anyone ordered from B&H? It comes tomorrow.

jakdaniel1975

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
macpro%20copi.jpg

Last edited:

gonnok

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Hello all,

So I've just bought a 5.1 off from eBay. Replaced the CPU's for X5690s, got 32GB RAM, pci adaptered SM951.
Now I am a bit worried about my thermal greasing skills. Right now the idle CPU Tdiode temperatures are 33C(A) and 40C(B). Is that normal? I'd guess B is the rear one, so it runs a bit hotter.
Second issue is the GPU. I've also ordered a hybrid 980Ti, as seems the air cooled cards can get kinda hot in there. Problem is, I finally got a Corsair Hydro and turns out that the fan should be connected to an external power socket (PC/PCI based). Is there any solution for that? I was thinking about ditching it, and use the built in GPU bay fan with fan control.

garyglitta

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015
Cape Town, South Africa
I recently bought a single-proc 2009 4,1 with a X5677 single proc, 5770 and 16Gb 1066 in it. Upgraded to W3690 processor and 32Gb 1333, a Sonnet Tempo with samsung 850 on it, new airport card from an iMac and a R9 280x 3Gb that I flashed myself - on a Dell P2715Q...

Just bought it a MSI RX 480 8GB gpu and a Dell UP3216Q. Can't wait to get the new bits in there. This is my workstation but I do some gaming on it too - mainly Starcraft and Civ 6 as I prefer the PS4 for gaming.

Replaces my old 1,1 that I'd maxed out, this is a major upgrade. I just wish we could use slightly faster processors :-/

Reactions: raymanster

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Order a MP Classic early 2009. Can't wait to use it for video editing. I love my PMG5 but its getting old and some things aren't working right. Can't wait to get though I'll be hoping it arrives better than the PMG5 does..keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: Synchro3

Benny_G

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Might aswell add my bargain of the century mac.

Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. Dual 3.2GHz CPU, came with 2GB RAM.

Was listed as not booting/no chime. Got it, and it boots perfectly fine!

Price: £80.

I had some spare 667mhz RAM laying around and a 500GB SSD. It now has 16GB RAM.

Sierra installed using patch, all working fine!

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK

Nice deal, there are some good bargains out there. I recently won an auction for a 2006 1,1 and a 30" Cinema Display for £155, both were in good condition and work fine. I've upgraded the 1,1 to 32 GB RAM, two x5355 quad core processors and is now running El Cap.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Actually this is less product than last week but check the prices for used (refurbished) machines. Charge big or go home. I was hoping to pick up a 2013 until 2 years from now when the next pro may show up but I don't think the 2013 version will hold it's value going forward now that a modular MP is coming out. The numbers don't make sense

Last edited:

NewtonAurelius

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Orlando, Florida
I need some buying advice. I am considering getting a 2010 cMP (3.33 6-core and 32 GB memory), which seem to be running between $900 to $1,500 through used resellers.

Right now I have a 2014 15" MacBook Pro with the Nvidia 750M graphics card. I do intend to keep this laptop as it has been great, but it sits in clamshell mode 98% of the time. I have one Dell P2715Q (27" 4K) monitor, and I would like to get another, but I doubt my MacBook Pro could run two at the same time. I have a 3-fan laptop cooler running under my MacBook Pro just to try to keep the heat down with what I have now.

I have to wear many hats, so at any moment I can be in Xcode, Final Cut Pro, Logic, Blender, WebStorm, MAMP, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, and VMware Fusion testing on different OSs.

I am happy to see that Apple finally lowered the price of the nMP, but I am still concerned about the longevity of this machine. I suspect the resale value will be next to zero by this time next year. I wasn't really considering a cMP until the recent Nvidia driver release, but being able to put a GTX 1070 or 1080 into a 2010 cMP 6-core seems like it would be a nice fit for me until Apple releases the 7,1 MP in 2019.

My main concern with the 2010 cMP is that I keep reading in these forums that macOS 10.13 won't be supported on the 2010-2012 cMPs. I don't know where they are getting that information, but I need to be able to have the most current version of Xcode until the 7,1 MP comes out. I also have a 2009 iMac that runs macOS 10.12 just fine, so I don't understand why a 2010 cMP would not be able to run macOS 10.13 when it comes out.

Speaking of iMac, I do not want another iMac. Yes, the 5K iMac is a nice machine that works for a lot of people, but I have had three iMacs in the last 15 years and I always had excess heat and graphics card issues with them.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

leggyj

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2017
I just noticed my status has been changed from "processing" to "preparing for shipment".

It would nice to have it this week..

Hi there in my experience it will take a couple days.

Watch out though, I am currently in a dispute with them as it broke in 2.5 weeks and they would not replace. Disgraceful service. I am currently pleading them to be reasonable but it's falling on deaf ears. Be careful!

Dear Tim, Mr Rogers

For the first time in my life I am super disappointed with Apple. I have loved Apple forever. Honestly.

My reference is this email address and complaint 100172345829 .

I purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro online from you for my business at £1,300 at huge investment but I thought it was a good one for my future.

After 18 days it started to malfunction and could not be repaired and I have taken it to your team and they are hoping to have it back to me by the 27th April. However this could be longer. That's OVER TWO WEEKS.

What I simply cannot understand is why I need to do this and why my machine is not instantly replaced. I have essentially been told by your team that "it is what it is" and I cannot escalate in any way. Really? Is this what you expect of a £1,300 pound investment??

I am now faced with no other option than to complain to you and appeal for some form of reason here. I do not have a business machine that I can use at clients and will have to look at other ways of conducting my business. The machine I am on is a 10 year old Microsoft machine which struggles to do anything.

Please can you help?

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010

I've got one that I'm typing on now. Maxed out with 8 Cores and Dual SAS Drives in Apple RAID 1. It's been restarting the past two days out of nowhere. Not sure I want to install Sierra on it as it will surely slow it down…not to mention I have to use the patch.

So I'm thinking of picking up a maxed out 5,1:

2x Intel Xeon Westmere 6-Core 3.46Ghz Processors - 12 Cores and 24 Threads
128GB Ram (8x 16GB DDR3 ECC Memory)
1TB SSD hard drive
4TB standard rotational hard drive
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB Video Card - 2x DVI Output 1x Display Port and 1x HDMI

Price is $4,000.

Thoughts?

pattielipp

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
I just purchased a 2009 4,1. The base model with a quad core 2.66ghz and GT120 gpu and 8GB of ram
So far i performed the 5,1 update, upgraded the CPU to a single x5690, the GPU to an R9 270x, 16GB of ram, and a 120GB SSD + 2TB media drive. So far i'm about $450 in, and couldn't be any happier right now.

All of this compliments my rather overkill enterprise grade home network of an HPDL360 2 x X5570 & 32GB)server running ESXi housing my domain controller, along with DNS/DHCP; my SAN, which includes a 25 drive disc array(HP MSA70), and a few other various VM's. My router being a Cisco 2845, and an unmanaged 48 port unmanaged switch.

Last edited:

Benny_G

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
I've got one that I'm typing on now. Maxed out with 8 Cores and Dual SAS Drives in Apple RAID 1. It's been restarting the past two days out of nowhere. Not sure I want to install Sierra on it as it will surely slow it down…not to mention I have to use the patch.

So I'm thinking of picking up a maxed out 5,1:

2x Intel Xeon Westmere 6-Core 3.46Ghz Processors - 12 Cores and 24 Threads
128GB Ram (8x 16GB DDR3 ECC Memory)
1TB SSD hard drive
4TB standard rotational hard drive
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB Video Card - 2x DVI Output 1x Display Port and 1x HDMI

Price is $4,000.

Thoughts?

Depends if you want to splash that kind of cash really? Mines now rocking a GTX 980 and iMac wireless card to support unlocking via Apple Watch and air drop. It runs perfectly for what I need day to day. Also plays GTA 5 perfectly fine with settings maxed out!

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I need some buying advice. I am considering getting a 2010 cMP (3.33 6-core and 32 GB memory), which seem to be running between $900 to $1,500 through used resellers.

Right now I have a 2014 15" MacBook Pro with the Nvidia 750M graphics card. I do intend to keep this laptop as it has been great, but it sits in clamshell mode 98% of the time. I have one Dell P2715Q (27" 4K) monitor, and I would like to get another, but I doubt my MacBook Pro could run two at the same time. I have a 3-fan laptop cooler running under my MacBook Pro just to try to keep the heat down with what I have now.

I have to wear many hats, so at any moment I can be in Xcode, Final Cut Pro, Logic, Blender, WebStorm, MAMP, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, and VMware Fusion testing on different OSs.

I am happy to see that Apple finally lowered the price of the nMP, but I am still concerned about the longevity of this machine. I suspect the resale value will be next to zero by this time next year. I wasn't really considering a cMP until the recent Nvidia driver release, but being able to put a GTX 1070 or 1080 into a 2010 cMP 6-core seems like it would be a nice fit for me until Apple releases the 7,1 MP in 2019.

My main concern with the 2010 cMP is that I keep reading in these forums that macOS 10.13 won't be supported on the 2010-2012 cMPs. I don't know where they are getting that information, but I need to be able to have the most current version of Xcode until the 7,1 MP comes out. I also have a 2009 iMac that runs macOS 10.12 just fine, so I don't understand why a 2010 cMP would not be able to run macOS 10.13 when it comes out.

Speaking of iMac, I do not want another iMac. Yes, the 5K iMac is a nice machine that works for a lot of people, but I have had three iMacs in the last 15 years and I always had excess heat and graphics card issues with them.

I don't know if anyone knows if MacOS 10.13 will officially support the cMP 5,1. But I'm sure there will be a patcher available if it doesn't. I also decided to buy a cMP with the Nvidia driver release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.