Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
These two past months were very expensive.

* I bought a ref. MacBook Pro 15" retina and I am planning to buy the high end 15". I wish I can go to the Apple store since it is 1 min drive and pick it from there. Unfortunately, I want the Arabic language keyboard. I'll have to order & wait for it.

I also bought iPhone 6 Gold 128GB, iPad Air 2 Gold 64GB, iPad mini 2 Silver 16GB and iPad mini space grey 16GB.

caparsons

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
I ordered a refurb i5 2.6GHz CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GBSSD 13" MacBook Pro (late 2013).

When I ran the system profiler when it arrived Wednesday, found that I ended up with a 13" MBP with a i7 2.8 GHz CPU, with the same RAM and SSD. Needless to say I'm pretty happy to see that I got a bit of a spec bump!

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
Just bought a 13 inch retina macbook pro for college. Was heading towards the Air but that screen just looked terrible compared to the retina.

Yosemite looks absolutely gorgeous on it. Only gripe is that I am nowhere near 9 hours of battery life?

I am at 66% and have 3 hours remaining. Screen is at 50%. Well I will still give it a few cycles for the battery to get to full potential.

But is this normal?

Here is my screen at 50% brightness. Keep in mind I have 349 cycles on the battery.

ZKlvHCi.png

Just got my Macbook Pro in the mail today while I was at work, came home and been "setting it up" since. I updated to Yosemite and its working out pretty well, I did not like the fact that I cannot use two fingers for "right click" but now I use the bottom right corner instead.

wyrOxgI.png

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Officially joining the Retina club. Man this thing is a BEAST! Unfortunately I was forced into the upgrade because my logic board failed :(

Coming from a late 2008 MacbookPro 2.5Ghz C2D 15" ----> Mid-2014 MacbookPro 2.2Ghz i7 15" ........I keep checking and making sure I got the right machine because man this thing is SO light.

Can't wait to start watching HD videos.....I wanna experience the Retina lol. I haven't noticed a difference on my desktop

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Updated today to a 15 in rMBP from an early 2011 15 in cMBP. All I can say is...wow! So much faster, lighter, and quieter than my old machine. And of course the retina display is absolutely beautiful. Just like on the iPhone, I could never go back to a regular display now.

Goncas

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
I'm buying the base 15' MacBook only for the end of the year. How can I wait?
It will be my first Mac.

xxscaxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Just purchased the base MBP Retina 15" this morning. Coming tomorrow.

Was satisfied with the 16gig memory (not like i could upgrade anyways lol) and the 256 hard drive space. Never really store a lot of crap on my computers so it will suffice. Debated back and forth about upgrading to the 2.5/2.8 with the bigger hard drive and automatic graphic switching but knew it wouldn't be something i'd need.

Using this for freelance design work, mostly photoshop/indesign/dreamweaver/sublime and some other coding. Will install the adobe suite on there and some other minor goodies.

Hopefully the 15" will be ok, I use a 27" iMac at work so the small screen scares me :). I have a crappy asus 13" screen that was a nightmare working on so this will be a severe upgrade. Last laptop i owned from Apple was in college when I bought the top of the line Powerbook G4 LOL

nade1958

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
I'm considering purchasing a new laptop. I have always used a PC but because of the I devices in my home I am looking at macs. I would like an opinion on what would be a good option for me. It would mostly be used by my daughter for college. I am interested in a used one as I really can't afford a new one. Something around $700. Thanks for any input you give.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
My refurb Late 2013 rMBP arrived today! Came with Mavericks, installed Yosemite. Restored Time Machine and... bricked. Always boots in safe mode, no startup disk found. Apple support suggested taking it in but I'm going to return it instead since the prices dropped $40 today on these units. Otherwise the MBP was in impeccable condition. I guess I'll have to wait another week.

jerirat

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
I'm going to pick up my rMBP refurb. Thanks to MacRumors I was able to save around ~$500. This is replacing my 2008 15" MBP that even with upgrading memory and switching to a SSD has finally reached the end of it's useful life.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I'm trying to figure out if buying the refurb is worth it.

The july 2014 model is $2,499 new, and $2,099 refirb; however, with the veteran discount, I can get the new one for $2,299, so I'm saving $200 with a refirb.

While $200 is still a savings, and will just about pay for the AppleCare, I'm just wondering if saving $200 is worth the savings over a new one; after all, the refirb is used to some degree.

Thank you

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu

The july 2014 model is $2,499 new, and $2,099 refirb; however, with the veteran discount, I can get the new one for $2,299, so I'm saving $200 with a refirb.

While $200 is still a savings, and will just about pay for the AppleCare, I'm just wondering if saving $200 is worth the savings over a new one; after all, the refirb is used to some degree.

Thank you

You still get the new one year warranty while saving the $$....go for it!

If they'd ship to FPO addresses, I'd have all refurb' in our house!

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010

Thank you
I think the refurb + AppleCare is the way to go. You have 14 days to return it if you don't like it, so there really is no risk.

Just my opinion, of course.

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Finally I received my new 13" rMBP after some unknown delay from UPS (their tracking website is way confusing IMHO). Turned it on and I was surprised that it was installed with Mavericks and not Yosemite.

After some internal debate if I should upgrade to Yosemite - I decided against it since I am liking Mavericks so far and looks like Yosemite still have some kinks.

Now, my next question is whether or not to get Apple Care - I read the TOS for Apple care and it does not cover any accidental damage - is that right?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Finally I received my new 13" rMBP after some unknown delay from UPS (their tracking website is way confusing IMHO). Turned it on and I was surprised that it was installed with Mavericks and not Yosemite.

After some internal debate if I should upgrade to Yosemite - I decided against it since I am liking Mavericks so far and looks like Yosemite still have some kinks.

Now, my next question is whether or not to get Apple Care - I read the TOS for Apple care and it does not cover any accidental damage - is that right?

Got my 15" rMBP 2.8GH 16GB RAM 512 SSD yesterday (ordered Tuesday last week)
came with IOS 10.10 Yosemite.
mis my 17" MBP. but this one is 100% perfect, to answer you question about Apple care, you have a year to make up your mind

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Got my 15" rMBP 2.8GH 16GB RAM 512 SSD yesterday (ordered Tuesday last week)
came with IOS 10.10 Yosemite.
mis my 17" MBP. but this one is 100% perfect, to answer you question about Apple care, you have a year to make up your mind

That's odd. I was expecting mine would come with Yosemite ... ordered it last Saturday and received it yesterday 13" rmbp 512 GB 16GB Ram. Does this happen?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
That's odd. I was expecting mine would come with Yosemite ... ordered it last Saturday and received it yesterday 13" rmbp 512 GB 16GB Ram. Does this happen?

Yes that's the way it come, I did the processor uprgeat from 2.5 to 2.8 and I got the Nvidea vedio card
I think that if they bulit the MBP from fresh the will install the Yosemite but if they have old stock you get what ever they have.

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Got a new MBP Retina 13" 512GB/i5 2.8ghz today. Down to £1180 from £1400 - only disappointment was that despite it being built in October it didn't come with Yosemite already on it. Didn't take too long to get that on there though.

supernatural311

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
I finally pulled the trigger to part with my Early 2011 Macbook pro i5. I went with the 2.4/8/256, it was a no brainer pricewise. Looking forward to having the retina screen.

jerirat

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013

Thank you

I've purchased 2 refurbs and highly recommend them. My first was a 2008 MBP (the first unibody) and it worked well through the years with a couple of upgrades but after 6 years it was time to retire it. My latest refurb is a 2014 rMBP 15", 512GB, 16GB ram (I want to run parallels). I expect this laptop to last as long as my last one. Too bad upgrades are limited. That's why I went for a higher end rMBP. Refurb has been wonderful in my experience.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I've purchased 2 refurbs and highly recommend them. My first was a 2008 MBP (the first unibody) and it worked well through the years with a couple of upgrades but after 6 years it was time to retire it. My latest refurb is a 2014 rMBP 15", 512GB, 16GB ram (I want to run parallels). I expect this laptop to last as long as my last one. Too bad upgrades are limited. That's why I went for a higher end rMBP. Refurb has been wonderful in my experience.

I wished Apple could combine the education discount on the refurbished ones. That would be great.
Right now basically you have to pick either. The savings are about the same. With Black Friday coming, I wonder if the education discount can get a extra bump with the BF savings, but I am not counting on it.

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
I wished Apple could combine the education discount on the refurbished ones. That would be great.
Right now basically you have to pick either. The savings are about the same. With Black Friday coming, I wonder if the education discount can get a extra bump with the BF savings, but I am not counting on it.

I share your wish. Yesterday I ordered a refurb. 15" October 2013. This is a second in a month time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.