Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I'm in the process of setting up my new stock 17" as well. I still have the old one (Gen1 2.16 17") right next to it and it's a night and day difference. I've been resisting getting rid of the old one. The all silver look is something I prefer.

Compared to the new one though my machine looks like a vintage. Nice, but time to let go.

The unibody seems so much more solid. The looks are modern and streamlined. It feels lighter than the original and is definitely thinner. I'm going to miss my classic but I think I can get used to this powerful unibody very very quickly.

More later. My apologies NovemberWhiskey for piling on to your thread. Figured it's a similar topic.

I'm not one to post unboxing pics etc but if anyone is interested in a visual or descriptive comparison of the May 2006 vs June 2009 17" MBP's, let me know what I can do for you ...

eV

PS. Ah, what the heck, here's one pic. I can't resist

attachment.php

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Were you able to snag anything out of the mistakes? I feel like we deserve something - this is very inconvenient for me.

Actually Apple was very good about accommodating me for my troubles. First the shipping was misquoted and I waited a whole day at home and found out nothing was coming so they comped me with a copy of iWork 09. Then when it arrived the dent on the Macbook Pro was really disappointing. I called them to set up an exchange and they were very nice about it. I asked them if they would take care of me since I have to wait again for the replacement to ship. They hooked me up with The Sims 3 Collectors Edition from the online store. I asked for it, they were going to offer me a free case of my choice but I wanted a game especially since it was made for OS X.
I'm good now but Apple needs to do something about this China made crap. Customers shouldn't have to be worried about what condition the computer is going to arrive in.

EngramAgility

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
Vermont
got one of the first unibody mbp... now my sister is going off to art school, she is taking mine and i get to buy a new one!!!
staying with the 15in but going to MAX it out. can't wait till august

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Actually Apple was very good about accommodating me for my troubles. First the shipping was misquoted and I waited a whole day at home and found out nothing was coming so they comped me with a copy of iWork 09. Then when it arrived the dent on the Macbook Pro was really disappointing. I called them to set up an exchange and they were very nice about it. I asked them if they would take care of me since I have to wait again for the replacement to ship. They hooked me up with The Sims 3 Collectors Edition from the online store. I asked for it, they were going to offer me a free case of my choice but I wanted a game especially since it was made for OS X.
I'm good now but Apple needs to do something about this China made crap. Customers shouldn't have to be worried about what condition the computer is going to arrive in.

How exactly did you go about asking for compensation when the shipping was delayed? I'm pretttty sure that the estimated delivery time they gave me is going to turn out inaccurate, and was wondering if I could squeeze a little extra from them.

Ordered the machine on Sunday, shipped on Tuesday from California with standard shipping. Expected date: Tomorrow. Destination: Toronto. Today: Canada Day. That means it'd take 2 business days to get from California to Toronto using STANDARD shipping.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
How exactly did you go about asking for compensation when the shipping was delayed? I'm pretttty sure that the estimated delivery time they gave me is going to turn out inaccurate, and was wondering if I could squeeze a little extra from them.

Ordered the machine on Sunday, shipped on Tuesday from California with standard shipping. Expected date: Tomorrow. Destination: Toronto. Today: Canada Day. That means it'd take 2 business days to get from California to Toronto using STANDARD shipping.

Well, when the computer didn't show up I called Apple and told them that I took off of work which I did to wait and nobody came. That's when they first offered to give me a free case for my iPod Touch that was shipping also. I told them I already had a case but I was going to buy iWork 09 but I was too frustrated to buy anything cause I had to set aside another day to wait for the shipment. That's when the offered me iWork free of charge.
Apple is good about accommodating customers if they order online but not so in the retail store since you don't have to wait for shipping and if something's defective you can just return it at the store rather than sending it back and waiting again for a replacement.

matin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
13'' Macbook Pro

Yesterday Bought My 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 With 4 Gb Ram And 320 Hd.
Feeling So Proud.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
So my replacement MBP just shipped and I have to say I am getting a bit ticked off at Apple. They told me that they would add expedite (2-3 day) shipping free of charge, but FedEx says I won't get it until next Tuesday. That's nearly a week, 2-3 days is Friday-Saturday, at the latest Monday.

Has anyone else who got the faster shipping gotten the computer early despite a later estimated delivery date from FedEx? I think I am going to have to call and complain a little and see if they'll try and make it up to me.

JimDut

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Stafford, Staffs, UK
New Order

Hi all,

Placed my order for a MacBook Pro 17" with 7200rpm HDD and iWork pre-installed.

Also ordered a wireless mouse, ilap and the care pack.

Placed my order for Snow Leopard and called Adobe, who are very kindly transfering my CS4 Web Premium licence to MAC :D

Really looking forward to entering the MAC world.

Jim

akamichaelmusic

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
CD-Rom Drive Noisy when "waking up"

I just received my MBP 15" 2.66 9400M, and right out of the box, the CD-Rom drive was a little noisy upon startup, and when it "wakes up". It sounds like it's goes through a series of three "shuffles" and finally stops. It's quiet as a mouse other than that. It's this normal?? My previous Powerbook G4 1.5 makes a little noise when it's waking up but, this sound is much different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FYI- I put a brand new audio CD in the drive, and it accepted it just fine and itunes opened right up. I'm not sure if i'm just being paranoid :)

Maxpilot

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Midwest
I just received my MBP 15" 2.66 9400M, and right out of the box, the CD-Rom drive was a little noisy upon startup, and when it "wakes up". It sounds like it's goes through a series of three "shuffles" and finally stops. It's quiet as a mouse other than that. It's this normal?? My previous Powerbook G4 1.5 makes a little noise when it's waking up but, this sound is much different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FYI- I put a brand new audio CD in the drive, and it accepted it just fine and itunes opened right up. I'm not sure if i'm just being paranoid :)

It is normal. I now have 3 MacBooks... 1 late 08 MacBook Pro, 1 late 08 MacBook and now 1 mid 09 13" MacBook Pro that I just received yesterday. All make the same startup sounds and are very quite otherwise.

My new 13" 2.26 MacBook Pro had a small ding/dent on the bottom that I noticed when I installed my 320 7200 rpm Seagate HD and 4gb ram. That's the only problem I have and I think I can knock the small dent out with a block of wood and a hammer from the back side on a hard flat surface. No big deal. Otherwise I am really loving this new MacBook Pro.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
I got mine a few weeks ago after waiting 8 days for delivery!!! (I upgraded the HDD) And I am loving it so far. Hope you guys get yours soon!!

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I've been trying to get a 13" MBP 2.53 but the Apple Stores have been out of stock for almost a week now and there is a 7-10 backorder online.

steperjw

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Just Recieved

I love this One. New 17" PBP 2.83 with the 9600 graphic card. The contrast is outstanding with the basic screen, very sharp and no need to turn brightness up to full, leaving room to turn it up to high when I really need it. My other MBP 17' I bought a 1 1/2 years ago just bugged me. By nighttime my eyes couldn't focus on that small print.
For years I been wanting a good processor 2.8 duo with 1000 front bus speed but most PC or mac's did sell them without special order and on top of that we get the DDR3 Ram and 512 meg dedicated Graphics Card.
I think all this finally for less then $2500.00. I do like PC's but now I think mac will be good for both OS.
But I need help installng Tiger for dual boot, It is rejecting every Type of Tiger I have. Has any one done this install yet please Help!

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
So my replacement is in Alaska, and will be here by Tuesday, (hopefully sooner). But Apple didn't upgrade my replacement to expedite shipping like they said they would, so I called and asked if they would make it up to me. After some waiting they decided to send me some free stuff. Not a bad deal at all.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
My new 13" 2.26 MacBook Pro had a small ding/dent on the bottom that I noticed when I installed my 320 7200 rpm Seagate HD and 4gb ram. That's the only problem I have and I think I can knock the small dent out with a block of wood and a hammer from the back side on a hard flat surface. No big deal. Otherwise I am really loving this new MacBook Pro.

That's unacceptable. Why would you want to keep a flawed machine? If it's got a dent it's considered defective. You should return it for a replacement, you shouldn't have to fix Apple's mistakes by hammering it out. I highly recommend that you exchange it, it's your money you're dealing with.

thetrystero

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
so far, so good. 9CC2 Screen calibration wanted!!

This arrived via DHL on Friday (after the delivery van "broke down" on Thursday") from Tech-Com in Shanghai, China. Delivery to Kuala Lumpur took about 1 week ( I ordered it on Thursday the week before) because I wanted CTO RAM (can't get decent DDR3 Mac RAM in Malaysia).

The computer: Mid-2009 13" 2.26GHz, 4GB (Factory), 160GB
Screen: 9CC2 (as far as my search has shown me. can't find any other forumers with this screen and I'm not quite sure how to determine it's quality since I don't have another MBP to compare with. However, compared to my 2001 iBook Dual USB ,it's brilliant! :D)
SATA: 1.5Mbps, I guess this means that firmware had NOT been upgraded to EFI 1.7 :)
xBench score: 138.1
Runs very hot when using Skype/watching movies (averages about 75 degrees Celsius, but not more than 80)
Contemplating upgrading HDD to WD Blue 500GB but might wait for SSDs to come down in price.

I'm particularly interested in calibration for my screen so if anyone else has a 9CC2 and hardware calibration for it, please post it!

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I love this One. New 17" PBP 2.83 with the 9600 graphic card. The contrast is outstanding with the basic screen, very sharp and no need to turn brightness up to full, leaving room to turn it up to high when I really need it. My other MBP 17' I bought a 1 1/2 years ago just bugged me. By nighttime my eyes couldn't focus on that small print.
For years I been wanting a good processor 2.8 duo with 1000 front bus speed but most PC or mac's did sell them without special order and on top of that we get the DDR3 Ram and 512 meg dedicated Graphics Card.
I think all this finally for less then $2500.00. I do like PC's but now I think mac will be good for both OS.
But I need help installng Tiger for dual boot, It is rejecting every Type of Tiger I have. Has any one done this install yet please Help!

You can never install a version of OS X older than the Mac originally shipped with. All 17" Unibody MacBook Pros shipped with some version of OS X 10.5 Leopard so therefore they can never run OS X 10.4 Tiger.

coryisontour

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
stoked!

I had the black macbook for a while but scored a deal on a new macbook pro through a friend that works at apple. This is such an improvement!

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Replacement just arrived a few days early. Works great no glitches, or anything. I am really pleased with this, and excited for the $100 in free stuff Apple is sending me for my replacement trouble.

weux

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
I put the order in for my 13" MBP this morning. 7-10 business days until it ships! :eek:

Are those estimates usually pretty accurate? The anticipation is going to kill me since this is my first new mac.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007

It's annoying. My MBP 15 has the same issue. It does not make noise when wake up from sleep, only when power up. My old Macbook (2007) is much quieter, but makes noise when wake up from sleep.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Update: Replacement MBP works great and is absolutely beautiful. I've been using it for 6 hours now and I only had one problem but a software update took care of it. It's currently backing up 1.2 million files with TM without any problems.
This is a fantastic machine, I am very happy with my purchase. I'll also add that the MBP are now shipping with 3GB/s SATA instead of 1.5GB/s where you need to do a firmware update.

I hope everyone else is as happy with their new MBP's as I am with mine.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0037 copy.JPG
    IMG_0037 copy.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.