Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Congrats!

Don't forget to set up Time Machine and get your system and data backed up!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I ordered mine yesterday, and expected delivery is July 28th! It said standard shipping was within 5 days, but it said July 23rd instead of the July 14th that it should have been! I didn't pay the $15 though for 2-3 day shipping instead of the *within 5 day shipping* that it should have been. , this was the most expensive computer I had ever bought so I didn't want to spend more money even though $15 was minuscule compared to the $1350 I payed haha.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Congrats!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Yeah. Within the next 2 weeks Im going to get the 500gb internal hard drive from western digital and then Im going to get the western digital 500gb passport.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I ordered mine yesterday, and expected delivery is July 28th! It said standard shipping was within 5 days, but it said July 23rd instead of the July 14th that it should have been! I didn't pay the $15 though for 2-3 day shipping instead of the *within 5 day shipping* that it should have been. , this was the most expensive computer I had ever bought so I didn't want to spend more money even though $15 was minuscule compared to the $1350 I payed haha.

I didnt get the 2-3 shipping just the free standard shipping. I was going to get that but I decided to get the 16gb touch so I didnt have any money left. Ordering this was a nice ending to the day. I just got off a unexpected 6-hour shift at Mcdonalds and have to go back in at 11am.:D

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I didnt get the 2-3 shipping just the free standard shipping. I was going to get that but I decided to get the 16gb touch so I didnt have any money left. Ordering this was a nice ending to the day. I just got off a unexpected 6-hour shift at Mcdonalds and have to go back in at 11am.:D

Maybe you live closer to Shanghai than I do, I live in the Carolinas, and I'll check again but I still couldn't believe that it told me July 28th. The good news is that college doesn't start till August, and if I got it now, all I'd really do is web browsing like I do on my current computer, it would just waste the battery efficiency that I'll need when college starts. Yea when I get it I'll back up the data on my Western Digital Passport and put all my photos, music, videos on it, and then download web browsers, skype, and experiment with iLife, and I'll probably put Windows RC on it until I can use the Windows 7 disc (comes October 22) I just ordered.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
I guess I should make this my first post...

I ordered my daughter a 15" Macbook Pro for college, we've been PC users from the beginning. The night it arrived (July 3rd), after she went to bed, my 17" HP laptop's motherboard went to the great chip graveyard in the sky. So I ordered a 17" Macbook Pro.

Nice machine. I miss my forward delete key. I miss my right click. I miss my time wasting games, Spider and Free Cell and Tetris. I like the way the Mac runs Lightroom 2, though; slick as all heck. And this son of a gun is fast, and quiet. And eye candy! I should have ponied up the extra $50 for the 7200 rpm drive, but I would have lost the $200 Macmall rebate. I figure when the 1T 7200s come out I'll do a drive swap.

It's like we grew up on different planets. Things make sense, but not in the way I learned them to make sense. The same, but different.

Oh, and this is the first place I ever registered where my user name was already taken! There has been a Mac Mosca doppelganger!

Thanks for reading.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
^ FYI you can get the right click and forward delete by holding down control or fn.

An update, I just sent back my second MBP. Their sending me a 3rd one, hopefully this one will arrive by next Tuesday/Wednesday, and not have any problems. The new MBP's are great machines, when they don't have bad parts in them.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I ordered my daughter a 15" Macbook Pro for college, we've been PC users from the beginning. The night it arrived (July 3rd), after she went to bed, my 17" HP laptop's motherboard went to the great chip graveyard in the sky. So I ordered a 17" Macbook Pro.

Nice machine. I miss my forward delete key. I miss my right click. I miss my time wasting games, Spider and Free Cell and Tetris. I like the way the Mac runs Lightroom 2, though; slick as all heck. And this son of a gun is fast, and quiet. And eye candy! I should have ponied up the extra $50 for the 7200 rpm drive, but I would have lost the $200 Macmall rebate. I figure when the 1T 7200s come out I'll do a drive swap.

It's like we grew up on different planets. Things make sense, but not in the way I learned them to make sense. The same, but different.

Oh, and this is the first place I ever registered where my user name was already taken! There has been a Mac Mosca doppelganger!

Thanks for reading.

right click can be turned on through the settings, you can tap to click with one finger, two finger tap ( together at the same time ) will RIGHT click and you can have the right lower part of the trakpad right click too, there are so many options, go to the Applw in the top left corner System Preferences > Hardware > trackpad

You have a nice machine! :D have fun with it!

P99

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
I love my first apple!

i just got my MBP 2.66 2 days ago. Im getting used to it. What an amazing device! :eek:

EnigMoiD

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
I got my 13" 2.53 uMBP with 4 gigs of RAM at the end of June, but it still feels like new. It's so thin, especially where the case is recessed for the keyboard.

I love the backlit keyboard, and the battery life is really fantastic.

Games also look and run great, even without bootcamp. Half-Life 2, Portal, Spore, Call of Duty 4, etc... all smooth.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Maybe you live closer to Shanghai than I do, I live in the Carolinas, and I'll check again but I still couldn't believe that it told me July 28th. The good news is that college doesn't start till August, and if I got it now, all I'd really do is web browsing like I do on my current computer, it would just waste the battery efficiency that I'll need when college starts. Yea when I get it I'll back up the data on my Western Digital Passport and put all my photos, music, videos on it, and then download web browsers, skype, and experiment with iLife, and I'll probably put Windows RC on it until I can use the Windows 7 disc (comes October 22) I just ordered.

I live in NJ. I just checked and the status changed from "Order Proccessing" to "Prepared for Shipment" I bought Vista Business off another member for $30 so Ill use that. Quck question does anyone know if I could buy the upgrade disk for Windows 7 and it will work since I have vista?

ordo1980

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
YES!!!!!! I just ordered my first mac. I've been using windows since 3.1!! But I've wanted a mac for a couple of years now. I was looking for a good, reliable laptop for the next 3 years while I'm in law school.

I think and hope I've found that in my recent order from 10 minutes ago. I ordered the 2.26 mbp.

I'm just a bit nervous in learning all over again. I've gone from expert on windows to novice on mac. But I'm really excited anyways. Plus I got a 16gb nano to replace my 80gb classic. The classic was always too big for me. I only have like 6gb of music. And I never use it for video anyways. Just music. So rocking out going around campus with a nano will be nicer given the smaller size and everything.

In the past month or so that I've been frequenting the board u guys have been so helpful!!! Thanx so much everyone!!!

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Thanks, both rick3000 and Andrew K. I'll find most of my stuff through searches; that was really nice to get those quick offers of aid!

Neo-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Quick Reply for you guys.

Was assigned a non-working tracking number and a carrier name of UK DISTRIBUTION CENTER yesterday evening, but then it resolved to UPS and a proper carrier number. UPS says it's in Tamworth and has been In Transit all last night and today. Looks like it's definitely coming Monday.

Will reply to other posts later.

Maxpilot

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Midwest
It's great to see so many new Mac users switching from Windows. I am a convert as of the last 6 months. I am a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer and have written many Windows apps. I am blown away by the Mac OS and can't believe I had not used it before. I have installed VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro and Windows XP Pro and am able to run my C++ compiler in Windows XP better than I could on my old HP PC. Now I can start learning Mac programming and do both Mac and Windows programming on the same machine. Wonderful!

My MacBook Pro is the fastest computer I have ever used and it is only the 2.26 ghz model. I installed the 320, 7200 Seagate drive and it is so quite and fast. I can't put my MacBook Pro down! :)

airwalke

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
Finally got mine! Refurbished too -- and I can attest to the fantastic quality of Apple refurbs. This battery only has 6 cycles on it, and the casing is flawless. Just like new. Except $1000 cheaper. :)

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Just checked my email and Apple sent me my tracking numbers!!:D I cant wait!! Estimated delivery is Wensday.

Neo-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
BIG MULTI QUOTE POST! LOTS OF QUESTIONS AND UPDATES
One note, changing battery is simple as removing cover. Yopu don't need a tech guy to swap it.

I only hate to have the combo in/out audio connector. I'had to buy griffin imic.

Andrea
Good to hear about the battery changing, I guess it's just like the ones for the 2008 models except it's inside.
Also, do you have any iPhone headphones? I want to know if the microphone on the iPhone headset will work with the MacBook Pro along with the headphones itself.

Here is the US it will say that until it's delivered to you. Usually means it's on the truck, so you probably won't be able to go to the depot for it. So, unless something comes up, sometime today during their operating hours you should get your MBP delivered. Good Luck and Enjoy!
Thanks for the comments, although I think it might mean something different in the UK, I'll do a full post on how the shipping went when it arrives as I have been tracking it constantly!

If its a CTO order then most likely that means its off the K&N flight and in holland. Within a couple of days one of the shipping reference numbers will work with the final delivery company, which is likely to be TNT for the UK, as far as i understand it!
Nope, it was UPS :D Which is good because if nobody is there, it's a 5 minute walk from where I live.

Congrats, hopefully you can get plenty of sleep in the next few days and not just stay up thinking of your new MBP arriving... :eek:
Haha, I hope so too as I can't wait!

Congrats!
Will Time Machine work with any drive? And I plan on getting/building a Firewire backup drive as all my drives are USB.

^ FYI you can get the right click and forward delete by holding down control or fn.

An update, I just sent back my second MBP. Their sending me a 3rd one, hopefully this one will arrive by next Tuesday/Wednesday, and not have any problems. The new MBP's are great machines, when they don't have bad parts in them.
3rd one?!?? What happened to the other one? Talk about unlucky :( thanks for the touchpad info.

I got my 13" 2.53 uMBP with 4 gigs of RAM at the end of June, but it still feels like new. It's so thin, especially where the case is recessed for the keyboard.

I love the backlit keyboard, and the battery life is really fantastic.

Games also look and run great, even without bootcamp. Half-Life 2, Portal, Spore, Call of Duty 4, etc... all smooth.
What's the FPS like? I'm going to play quite a few games on my Mac since I finally have a laptop which has a decent specced graphics card which can play some of my favourites. :D

I live in NJ. I just checked and the status changed from "Order Proccessing" to "Prepared for Shipment" I bought Vista Business off another member for $30 so Ill use that. Quck question does anyone know if I could buy the upgrade disk for Windows 7 and it will work since I have vista?
Yes it should do. Just wait for Microsoft to give more info on upgrading from XP/Vista.

It's great to see so many new Mac users switching from Windows. I am a convert as of the last 6 months. I am a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer and have written many Windows apps. I am blown away by the Mac OS and can't believe I had not used it before. I have installed VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro and Windows XP Pro and am able to run my C++ compiler in Windows XP better than I could on my old HP PC. Now I can start learning Mac programming and do both Mac and Windows programming on the same machine. Wonderful!

My MacBook Pro is the fastest computer I have ever used and it is only the 2.26 ghz model. I installed the 320, 7200 Seagate drive and it is so quite and fast. I can't put my MacBook Pro down! :)
Yeah, I noticed that a LOT of new people are switching to Macs, including myself which is a good thing and a bad thing. I'll explain why if needs be.

Did you try Paralelles? BootCamp? Before you tried VMWare Fusion? As I'm looking to install XP/7 on a VM as well for using Windows from time to time (Games and software that doesn't work on Mac, mainly). And I think the same, heck I can't put my laptop down at all! Now with me getting a 13" MacBook Pro, it's going to be much smaller so I'll be able to take it with me in bed and lie on my cushion while tapping away :D

Now, a FULL update on my status:
So my Dad ordered me a 13.3" MacBook Pro on the 30th June. It has the following: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB Hard Disk (5400RPM), nVidia 9400M Graphics Card. I also get a free iPod Touch and a free printer with it, which I plan on selling.

My items shipped on Monday morning (6th July) and then got the "Track this Shipment" link which showed an estimated arrival date of July 15th! I was annoyed. Anyhow, time went on and on Thursday early evening, it said "In Transit - Shipment on Schedule - 10 July". Now that made me think it would come on 10th July but nope, it meant it would ship that day and it did. On Friday evening, I got my Carrier Tracking Name and Number, but it wasn't working and the Carrier name was "UK DISTRIBUTION CENTER", later on, it resolved to UPS with a working tracking number. I checked it and it just told me how much it weighed etc, not where it was. Later on in the night it told me it was in Tamworth and In Transit, they also removed the estimated date arrival :( Anyhow, it is still in transit right now and the same status as yesterday.

If you follow my Twitter account, you'll get up to the minute updates on where it is...by me!
So can't wait! Lastly, I want to say congratulations to all those who have a MacBook :D I've also read all the pages of this thread, learnt so much, thanks guys.

MacMur

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
California
Well I finally made up my mind to get the new 13" 2.53 mac. Went to the Apple store last night and what to my wondering surprise, no more 2.53s. I guess I didn't avoid the rush and instead placed myself right at the beginning of the school stampede. Now I need to decide if I order one from the on-line Apple store or wait until the brick and mortar store gets them in. I would, a lot rather, get one where I can ask whatever, less than intelligent, questions to a real live person.

Wish me luck.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
3rd one?!?? What happened to the other one? Talk about unlucky thanks for the touchpad info.

I ordered a 15" MBP 3.06GHz 500GB @ 7200RPM
#1 - Bad RAM
#2 - Bad Hard Drive, click and beep issue and lots of freezing
#3 - Awaiting shipment; hopefully it will arrive free of dents, scratches, cracks, bad RAM, bad HD, and without clicks and beeps.

I am keeping my fingers crossed because this is getting very ridiculous. Although, since I am in no major rush I don't have a problem waiting to get one that's free of problems. Especially when they make up for it by sending me free stuff. These are great computers and I really enjoy uning the new MBP's, but they need to work on their quality control and the parts they are actually putting into these computers.

WeedKiller87

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
East Brunswick, NJ
I got my 2.26GHz 13" MacBook Pro and 8GB iPod Touch from my local Apple Store today! I couldn't be happier. I was scared to make the switch, but it was well worth it. I got the 9CBD screen and it is beautiful! I was able to download and install FireFox within two minutes. I also picked up iWork and I plan on installing it tomorrow. That's about it for now. Thanks to everyone on MacRumors for all the good advice!

:apple: FTW!

Neo-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I ordered a 15" MBP 3.06GHz 500GB @ 7200RPM
#1 - Bad RAM
#2 - Bad Hard Drive, click and beep issue and lots of freezing
#3 - Awaiting shipment; hopefully it will arrive free of dents, scratches, cracks, bad RAM, bad HD, and without clicks and beeps.

I am keeping my fingers crossed because this is getting very ridiculous. Although, since I am in no major rush I don't have a problem waiting to get one that's free of problems. Especially when they make up for it by sending me free stuff. These are great computers and I really enjoy uning the new MBP's, but they need to work on their quality control and the parts they are actually putting into these computers.
That's dead unlucky :( I hope mine comes fine.

I got my 2.26GHz 13" MacBook Pro and 8GB iPod Touch from my local Apple Store today! I couldn't be happier. I was scared to make the switch, but it was well worth it. I got the 9CBD screen and it is beautiful! I was able to download and install FireFox within two minutes. I also picked up iWork and I plan on installing it tomorrow. That's about it for now. Thanks to everyone on MacRumors for all the good advice!

:apple: FTW!
Congrats! :D

UPS status has not changed at all since Friday, and Apple's Order Status website shows this: "Apple's Online and phone Order Status services are temporarily unavailable due to a scheduled upgrade to our systems." *facepalm*

UPDATE (12 July - 19:07): UPS still hasn't updated the tracking and it still says it's in Transit. Also, Apple's Order Status came back online quite a while ago :)

Patdt13

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
I just got my new 2.26 13 inch MacBook Pro:D. This thing is so much faster than my iMac G4:apple: I Love it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.