Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
There has been a lot of nay sayers telling us that the new iMac design is horrible, not cute, ugly, etc. But, I would like to think that it is what it is supposed to be, and it is exactly what I want. It is a simplistic computer that will hardly look like it is there (insert comments about Jay Leno Chin). I built a computer desk a few months ago with the idea of having the iMac2 on it, but now the iMac 3 that I ordered will look even better. I wanted a flat space that would just hold my computer and maybe some speakers in the back corners. Now with the new design I can put it at the back of my 36" deep desk and have a nice clean work area around it. The computer will almost blend into the background. Which I think is perfect. I will have the keyboard in a drawer that looks like a normal drawer and I can realistically imagine someone walking into my home office and saying "where is the computer". I think this is what the advancement of technology really is. The technology blends into our everyday life and does not stick out like a sore thumb! Just my uneducated, un-interior decorater thoughts.

Here is a picture of the desk maybe. The left drawer opening is for the keyboard and has a fold down drawer face to make it look like a normal drawer, the right has the same type of face and holds my external hard drive.

My Desk

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
ebook said:
Here is a picture of the desk maybe. The left drawer opening is for the keyboard and has a fold down drawer face to make it look like a normal drawer, the right has the same type of face and holds my external hard drive.

My Desk

This comment applies to both yay and nay sayers:

Don't speculate until you see it. It might look great or crappy in pictures, but in real life you may love it or hate it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
vraxtus said:
This comment applies to both yay and nay sayers:

Don't speculate until you see it. It might look great or crappy in pictures, but in real life you may love it or hate it.

Exactly - and the difference between the 17" and 20" is significant. I've seen 17" wide screen displays, and they look too small. We'll see how things go for Apple with this.

That being said, I think my wife will be getting a new 20" for Xmas, but we're going to go look at one first :D

D

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I actually like the new iMac. I wish the powercord came off the bottom, so that it could be hung on a wall like a picture frame. that would be spiff.

Mike

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Brother Michael said:
I actually like the new iMac. I wish the powercord came off the bottom, so that it could be hung on a wall like a picture frame. that would be spiff.

Mike

It can... it's VESA compliant so it's wall mountable...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
vraxtus said:
It can... it's VESA compliant so it's wall mountable...

Yeah, and part of VESA is the location of the power cord... to be VESA compliant (for arm and wall mounts) they *had* to put the cord where it is. Remember, even if the cord wasn't on the back, you couldn't just screw it to the wall... the "out" vent is on the back, so it needs the clearance that a VESA mount provides.

Personally i love the design (much better than the G4 iMac), and i'm glad they didn't put any cords on the sides... it would look tacky. As soon as I can see one in person, i may have to get one :)

Only thing I'm worried about is the width of the stand... it looks like it could tip over left/right, especially if you had a lot of cables plugged in.

paul

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
power suppy cord removed

So what does this mean exactly?
I ordered mine with bluetooth because I knew it couldn't be added later but I really don't know what it is.
Can I order a wireless mouse and keyboard and hang my computer on the wall with no cords hanging down like a picture frame light?

That means my extra dining table could be a 2nd office area so I would just remove the keyboard when I am not using it?

Brenda

I am also considering returning my unopened HP all in one printer 2175. Can I order the 1350 from the apple store and get the $99 off do you think?
The offer ends Sept. 29th. I don't know if they will bill me before then.
It has to be on the same reciept as the computer.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
brobson said:
I ordered mine with bluetooth because I knew it couldn't be added later but I really don't know what it is.
Can I order a wireless mouse and keyboard and hang my computer on the wall with no cords hanging down like a picture frame light?

Bluetooth is a standard for wireless peripheral devices, like the Apple mouse and keyboard. It allows you to connect to other devices, like cell phones, for data transfers also.

That means my extra dining table could be a 2nd office area so I would just remove the keyboard when I am not using it?

Yep!

I am also considering returning my unopened HP all in one printer 2175. Can I order the 1350 from the apple store and get the $99 off do you think?
The offer ends Sept. 29th. I don't know if they will bill me before then.
It has to be on the same reciept as the computer.

I think that should work fine.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Furthermore...

It has the features that 95% of its purchasers probably want.

I've read lots of comment on other sites & newspapers about it not having TV card, and this and that...

Honestly, do the target audience for this machine want all that?
I don't think so.

It's just a computer for home-users. Nothing more.

Anybody wanting to edit HD video or do loads of 3D work should look elsewhere...

It may be a little light on RAM but that's easily fixed...

Also, there will probably be revisions within a year so we'll just see...

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
brobson said:

Your title was "power supply cord removed" so I don't know if you're asking if you could remove the power cord... Just in case, obviously you can't, but you could put a power outlet behind the Mac so that the cord was never seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.