Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flex77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
I remember when I made the jump from the iPhone 6s to the iPhone X and just couldn’t get used to that brick in my pocket.

The X feels uncomfortable to hold in one hand for longer periods of time because it starts biting into your pinky, but at least it has rounded corners.

Now I wanna upgrade but the 14 and 15 are even heavier than the iPhone X and they have square edges that are so annoying in the pocket.

I wanna stay on iOS but I kind of envy my Android friends that don’t have to carry around a glass and metal brick just for its shiny look (which is typically hidden in a case).

Wouldn’t it be time for an iPhone Air that doesn’t focus on big camera lenses and battery life as much, but is more optimized for portability?

Or will a new full screen iPhone SE fill that gap at some point? Somehow I doubt they will make it thinner, slicker and lighter.

Reactions: bluespark

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Too big. Too heavy. Flat sides instead of rounded sides. Use phone as a substitute for a computer, media device and gaming console.

Frequent complaints here, meaning Apple should get with the program and make what I want and not what they are actually selling.

Well, I am not you. My 11 Pro Max is not too heavy and it's not a brick in my pocket. I wear Dickies carpenter pants and shorts. I have big pockets, multiple pockets. And a belt!

My 11PM does not feel uncomfortable in my hand, unless I am holding it for long periods. Now, why would I be holding my phone for long periods if I sit in front of multiple computers for 16+ hours a day? And the reason for it being uncomfortable (assuming that happens)? Well, my 11PM has rounded sides! I want a flat sided phone. Since the 6+ I've had rounded sides. That was 2015. Nine years of rounded side iPhones! I'm done!

So, no. It's not time for an 'iPhone Air', for me at least. Actually, if Apple could make the iPhone a size somewhere between the Max and the iPad (with corresponding weight) I'd be happier!

If Apple offers you what you want at some point, great for you. I'll stick with what I like because right now that is what Apple is offering.

Reactions: Flex77 and JPack

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Now I wanna upgrade but the 14 and 15 are even heavier than the iPhone X and they have square edges that are so annoying in the pocket.

Both iPhone 14 and 15 weigh less than iPhone X. Get a case if you don't like the flat edges.

I wanna stay on iOS but I kind of envy my Android friends that don’t have to carry around a glass and metal brick just for its shiny look (which is typically hidden in a case).

Are you serious? Or maybe unfamiliar with current products. OnePlus 12 weighs 220g. Google Pixel 8 is 187g. iPhone 15 is 171g.

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I guess u are talking about the pro line. Cos the normal 15 is lighter than X and the “air” product u are looking for. Or get a 13mini

Reactions: Flex77

Flex77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
You're right, my coworker actually has the 14 Pro, so that's the one I tried and apparently it's heavier despite being the same form factor. So the regular 14 and 15 are roundabout the same weight as my iPhone X. That's good news, but I still want something lighter now. Those square edges combined with a case make these devices so damn bulky, I just find it really annoying.

The 13 Mini might be my best bet then I guess. The 2022 SE still has these top & bottom bezels that don't make any sense in our day and age, but I'll take a closer look at the Mini.

That's the thing with Apple, the software is great, but they only make a hardware that fits your needs every couple years. There's just so much more variety to choose from on Android and sometimes I get really tired of waiting for Apple to come up with something that doesn't suck. It took them 7 years to make a proper laptop again after the 2015 MBPs, and it looks like they will take even longer to make another iPhone that I really like.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I get really tired of waiting for Apple to come up with something that doesn't suck.
Since 2015 I have waited patiently for Apple to make an iPhone that has a camera flush to the housing - just like the iPhone 5.

Still waiting…

Reactions: Flex77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.