Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Starting a thread to centralise all our USB-C and Thunderbolt findings. This thread is a Wiki. When adding a new item, please put in bracket the make and model of the accessory you are confirming, that way if it does not work for other people, we can narrow down it to being a specific model.

On the Thunderbolt side of things, it seems that only certain Thunderbolt 4 devices may work, but this needs more investivation.

Note: any accessory requiring more than 4.5 watts of power will not work on the iPhone. An external source of power (such as a powered hub) will be required.

Apple Support Articles on USB-C iPhones​

About the USB-C to Lightning Adapter
Charge and connect with the USB-C connector on your iPhone 15

USB-C and Thunderbolt Accessory Types Confirmed to be Supported​

iPhone 15 Pro/Max​

USB-C​

• Ethernet Adapters (Belkin confimed)
  • Security Keys (Yubikey NFC USB-C & OnlyKey [Current Models] confirmed)
  • Displays through DisplayPort USB-C Alt Mode, including the integrated USB hubs (DELL U2720Q confirmed)
  • USB Drives
  • External SSDs (SAMSUNG T7 SSD confirmed)
  • Generic USC-C Smart Card readers for use with DoD CACs, PIVs, etc. Appropriate middleware Root certificates still required (confirmed using SCR-3500 on token restricted websites).
  • Keyboards (Apple Magic Keyboard Confirmed)
  • Canon EOS R for photo transfer to Mac
  • USB-C Hubs (NOVOO hub confirmed)
  • DACs (Shure SHA900-US confirmed with charging mode disabled)

Thunderbolt​

iPhone 15 /Plus​

USB-C​

• Ethernet Adapters (Belkin confimed)
  • Displays through DisplayPort USB-C Alt Mode (presumably), Anker USB-C to HDMI adapter and HP Elite USB-C Dock G3 confirmed)
  • USB-C docks (HP Elite USB-C Dock G3 and HP USB-C Dock G5 confirmed)
  • USB Drives (and card readers)
  • External SSDs
  • Keyboards (generic USB-A keyboard confirmed with adapter)
  • USB-C Hubs (NOVOO hub confirmed)

Thunderbolt​

USB-C Accessory Types Confirmed to be Unsupported​

iPhone 15 Pro/Max​

USB-C​

• Webcams (Logitech Brio confirmed)
  • Trackpads (weirdly recognised as a trackpad menu appears in settings, but not usable)
  • OnlyKey [Legacy Models] (purchased prior to Nov 2018)

Thunderbolt​

iPhone 15 /Plus​

USB-C​

• Anything requiring USB 3.0 and above

Thunderbolt​

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and macOS Sonoma​

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213775

Last edited:

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I saw iJustine stick a usb stick and apparently prores video saves directly in it? Is that so? You don’t have to make any changes whatsoever?

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I'd love to find a super compact USB-C 3.2 drive like this PNY 128GB Elite-X Fit, but in USB-C. Something I could plug in for ProRes recording without it sticking out 3". Has anyone found one?

Attachments

• IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 95

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
My Anker Ethernet adapter also works.

Studio Display works well, too (charging, sound, 4k video, respects orientation of iPhone, etc.) I just tested it with Junkworld (new release on Apple Arcade) and it looks good.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I'd love to find a super compact USB-C 3.2 drive like this PNY 128GB Elite-X Fit, but in USB-C. Something I could plug in for ProRes recording without it sticking out 3". Has anyone found one?
Absolutely need to make sure whatever you’re looking at can support the needed write speeds, as they usually only list read speeds.

Needs to be up to 220MB/s if you’re doing 4K/60 per:

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
I dont think one exists, not sure why.. i’ve been searching for one for a year or two now.

Been using SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Luxe, definitely smaller than 3” but not the best.

I think a SSD would provide the best performance for ProRes recording though and in that case, the best current option is a OWC Envoy Pro Mini.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
That wont do anything to preserve the battery. Use a 20W usb c charger and call it a day.
I have always heard that 5W charging is less taxing on the battery than 20W because it produces less heat. Can you share a link to where you’re getting the information that this isn’t the case?

Reactions: one more

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
Curious if Beats Studio Pro connected with the usb-c cable allows listening to lossless audio in iTunes as it does with MacBook Pro.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
For recording ProRes 4K 60 fps video to an external drive, I have a 2TB Toshiba (HDTB420XK3AA) that seems to make the write speed requirement.

Not sure about the power draw requirement, but presumably it’s not too high. The drive did not come w a micro B to usbc cable, just a micro B to USB-a.

Has anyone tried USB-C to micro B for an external drive yet?

Also, anyone have a bead on the bitrate for ProRes 4K at 60fps?

I have a 128gb usbc thumb drive, but the iPhone 13’s ProRes was at something like 5.5gb a minute. Presumably, the latest and greatest is over twice that.

That would mean a mere 128gb nets just 10-12 mins of video max.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
That wont do anything to preserve the battery. Use a 20W usb c charger and call it a day.

Yes it will. Lower powered charge generates less heat, so it’s easier on any lithium batteries, e-cars included.

If we keep our gadgets for 1-3 years, it might not matter indeed, yet to make them last longer with their original battery lower powered charging is the way to go.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Hello! I also received a 15 Pro Max. Can I charge with the slow 5W charger specifically with this cable?
https://www.alza.hu/samsung-usb-c-1-5m-white-oob-bulk-d7704529.htm
Is it okay that the cable is not factory Apple? I just want to charge it with the factory Apple 5W charger and directly slowly to save the battery.

Thanks.

You can also try using an adapter, similar to this:

IMG_8281.jpeg

Reactions: Evomasta

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
For recording ProRes 4K 60 fps video to an external drive, I have a 2TB Toshiba (HDTB420XK3AA) that seems to make the write speed requirement.

Not sure about the power draw requirement, but presumably it’s not too high. The drive did not come w a micro B to usbc cable, just a micro B to USB-a.

Has anyone tried USB-C to micro B for an external drive yet?

Also, anyone have a bead on the bitrate for ProRes 4K at 60fps?

I have a 128gb usbc thumb drive, but the iPhone 13’s ProRes was at something like 5.5gb a minute. Presumably, the latest and greatest is over twice that.

That would mean a mere 128gb nets just 10-12 mins of video max.
It's 72mins per TB of SSD according to iOS. The codec itself should be right around 330MB/sec or 20GB/min. Multiply * 8 for the bitrate. Not particularly high by modern SSD standards, but old SSD's and cheap thumb drives won't handle it.

The Crucial X9 I am using gets 800MB/sec read and write in OS X. That's the limit of USB unless you have USB 3.2 2x2, then closer to 2000MB/sec. A lot of thumb drives are in the 300MB/sec read and 20MB/sec write range, so those won't work.

Thinking the external requirement is a thermal issue, judging by how warm my 15 Pro Max + X9 SSD get doing it.

Last edited:

Dan08

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
I can’t get my OnlyKey to work using an Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter. The on-screen keyboard disappears if I have a text field selected, so the device is recognized. But it seems like it doesn’t receive adequate power; because I’m unable to input my password on my OnlyKey in order to unlock it. It used to work fine on my previous iPhone with the Apple Lightening to USB-A (camera) adapter.

I even tried using an Apple USB-C to Lightening adapter > Apple Lightening to USB-A (camera) adapter > OnlyKey but that produces an “Accessory not supported” warning.

Evomasta

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
Ontario, Canada
You can also try using an adapter, similar to this:

View attachment 2277669

That’s the adapter I plan on using for my car’s usb-a plug for CarPlay

Reactions: one more

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I can’t get my OnlyKey to work using an Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter. The on-screen keyboard disappears if I have a text field selected, so the device is recognized. But it seems like it doesn’t receive adequate power; because I’m unable to input my password on my OnlyKey in order to unlock it. It used to work fine on my previous iPhone with the Apple Lightening to USB-A (camera) adapter.

I even tried using an Apple USB-C to Lightening adapter > Apple Lightening to USB-A (camera) adapter > OnlyKey but that produces an “Accessory not supported” warning.
Interesting. Do the FIDO2 features work?
My YubiKey works, but the password isn't inputted on the key itself.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London

Also try with a small adapter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-An...1695468790&sprefix=USB-A+to+USB,aps,71&sr=8-5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.