Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plinden

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
link

image002_430x320.jpg

No editorializing from me, except to say, even when PC case makers copy Apple, it still looks like crap.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I just don't understand these people.

If you are going to copy Apple's clean design aesthetic - why put huge neon blue borders around things?

Painting something white does not make good design.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I can't believe that obvious... stealing that goes on nowadays. Everything is just a direct copy of someone elses thing, just with enough of a difference to avoid a lawsuit. Can't wait to see how much Windows Vista has grown into an OS X replica. Of course, who's going to know except mac users?

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
for a case, it actually looks pretty good. what's fugly is the powermac g5 case: aluminum box with holes in the front, woop-de-freakin'-doo.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
jhu said:
for a case, it actually looks pretty good. what's fugly is the powermac g5 case: aluminum box with holes in the front, woop-de-freakin'-doo.

the perforation ont the PowerMac G5s cases are actually there for a reason. they are functional at least.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
plinden, your avatar is of one of my favorite tv shows. unfortunately, we don't get it here in the states, so I just had to go buy the dvd's. ah, dougal....

plinden

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
It may be better than most PC cases out there, but that's not saying much. I think it's still an ugly box, made uglier by the attempt to look like an iPod.

runplaysleeprun, yes "Father Ted" is one of my favourite shows - pity we won't see any more of them (Father Ted himself, Dermot Morgan, died back in 1998)

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Hmmm

Well folks, it may surprise you to read that I like this design.

I find it flattering.

Anybody remember all of the distinct designs of the 1930's and especially the 1940's? C'mon, you know what I'm talking about - you take ony look at a Blender, or Vaccum cleaner, and seeing the polished metal skin formed into swoopy, streamed lines and you immediately recognize it as something from the era.

Well, that was all started by the Burlington Zephyr train . It inspired industrial design for years afterward.

I'm ok with the iPod doing that - as long as the products they inspire are not handheld media devices or phones.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
max_altitude said:
It's bloody ugly and looks cheap.
I don't really think it's that ugly, i kinda like it (not that i'd want that crap to house my computer but i've seen worse) but even liking the design, it does look rather cheap.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
its actually not too horrible. the G5 rip-offs were and are worse in my opinion.

here's the 'glow' view

cs832_01.jpg

kahos

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2005
Mike Teezie said:
I just don't understand these people.

If you are going to copy Apple's clean design aesthetic - why put huge neon blue borders around things?

Painting something white does not make good design.

My guess is that they made an iPod/creative zen crossover

B00067TTZY.01._PE19_.Creative-Zen-Micro-5-GB-MP3-Player-Black._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
it looks pretty cool but that coolness factor would wear off on me really fast. I currently looking for a new case for my PC. I learned the hardway that the flashy cases grow old very quickly and I want a more basic looking case and less lights.

the 2 things that kill this case for me is the light, and the lack of a side window.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Timepass said:
it looks pretty cool but that coolness factor would wear off on me really fast. I currently looking for a new case for my PC. I learned the hardway that the flashy cases grow old very quickly and I want a more basic looking case and less lights.

the 2 things that kill this case for me is the light, and the lack of a side window.

indeed. i have a computer that i use, not look at, especially when it's just sitting under the desk.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
jhu said:

I dont think you realize how much thought was put into the G5 casing. Go watch the keynote of when they introduced it...

plinden

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
grapes911 said:
Not to sound rude, but you are about half a year late. This was posted a while ago. But for the record, I still like it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/136711/
Hmm, although the case are almost identical, they appear to be different case makers. The one I posted is from Logisys and that one is from Scythe. The Scythe one doesn't seem to have the blue lighting, and the Logisys one doesn't have the circular grille.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
jhu said:
indeed. i have a computer that i use, not look at, especially when it's just sitting under the desk.

to me it a balance. I like the case to look good but I but the flashy looking ones grow old really quickly.

I like them to look good, not like everyone elses and not flashy. Liag li cases are a good example (also they are the ones that make what you all call the G5 knock off, but if you have ever seen this cases up close they are quite a bit diffent from the G5. It a basic profesion looking case that is really good. It a top of the line brand and they are among the best out there.

But that being said for me what I want in a comptuer case is one that looks good but not really flashy. It would have a side window. I like being able to see inside the case and it does help me idea problems plus I just like inside of eletronics.

whee900

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
still looks bad...

Why would you wan't to make a PC look like an iPod? It has no actual function at all.

If they're going to copy the iPod's design, they should actually do it in a music/video player, not on a PC. Who would use big buttons on the CPU anyway? In most cases, you just put the tower on the ground below your desk. How practical are the buttons if you're going to do that? The only easy way you could press the buttons is by kicking them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.