Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I got the official Wireless Charger shipped to me on Friday.

It hasn't been good, it gets rather warm while charging wirelessly. From 20% battery to 40% it had dropped the brightness to 80%, by 60% it had dropped it to 70%, 75% battery it performed an emergency shutdown.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I got the official Wireless Charger shipped to me on Friday.

It hasn't been good, it gets rather warm while charging wirelessly. From 20% battery to 40% it had dropped the brightness to 80%, by 60% it had dropped it to 70%, 75% battery it performed an emergency shutdown.

No not good at all :(

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
So I got my verizon LG G3 today. Other than the hideous Verizon logo on the front, the phone is beautiful.

The display is gorgeous. The preinstalled 2k videos really show off the beauty of the screen. And I've gotta say, I like the rear buttons. And the double-tap to wake/sleep? Wonderful. Apple needs to follow suit.

LG's skin is nice, and I may not even install a third party launcher. Its occasionally a bit laggy, but I like the interface. And LG gives more customizability than any other OEM that I've tried, which is great.

The phone hasn't gotten uncomfortably hot yet, even with downloading all my apps, and has performed quite well for the most part.

I think this phone is a keeper.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
So I got my verizon LG G3 today. Other than the hideous Verizon logo on the front, the phone is beautiful.

The display is gorgeous. The preinstalled 2k videos really show off the beauty of the screen. And I've gotta say, I like the rear buttons. And the double-tap to wake/sleep? Wonderful. Apple needs to follow suit.

LG's skin is nice, and I may not even install a third party launcher. Its occasionally a bit laggy, but I like the interface. And LG gives more customizability than any other OEM that I've tried, which is great.

The phone hasn't gotten uncomfortably hot yet, even with downloading all my apps, and has performed quite well for the most part.

I think this phone is a keeper.

That Verizon logo is very important because if it wasn't there you might forget who's network your on! #

Anyhow no issues with mine getting hot either. I'm really enjoying the LG skin. It's not overdone and does add a lot of nice features. I came from a Motorola Droid MAXX which was almost pure Android and I am actually enjoying this UI a bit more.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
LG are fixing my phone under warranty... It's a Xmas miracle!!

Should get it back in a week, clearly there was a proper manufacturing fault.

Good customer service.

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
LG are fixing my phone under warranty... It's a Xmas miracle!!

Should get it back in a week, clearly there was a proper manufacturing fault.

Good customer service.

That's good to hear, customer service is always important to me.

One of the best things about Apple. Never had an issue with their customer support (unlike Sony.....:mad:)

The more I use this phone, the more I like it. The camera is great. Very fast, not extremely customizable, but it takes very sharp images. Video recording is excellent as well.

I ended up getting annoyed with the minor lag on the stock launcher and installed Nova. Which is performing very well so far. Still in love with the back brushed metal look of the phone (WHY Verizon, WHY did you take that look off the front of the phone?!?!)

The display is gorgeous, I notice the over sharpening but I dont necessarily hate it. The color contrast seems to be just fine, brightness gets high enough for me, even in direct sunlight. The phone has never gotten too warm.

LG did a nice job with this phone.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
That's good to hear, customer service is always important to me.

One of the best things about Apple. Never had an issue with their customer support (unlike Sony.....:mad:)

The more I use this phone, the more I like it. The camera is great. Very fast, not extremely customizable, but it takes very sharp images. Video recording is excellent as well.

I ended up getting annoyed with the minor lag on the stock launcher and installed Nova. Which is performing very well so far. Still in love with the back brushed metal look of the phone (WHY Verizon, WHY did you take that look off the front of the phone?!?!)

The display is gorgeous, I notice the over sharpening but I dont necessarily hate it. The color contrast seems to be just fine, brightness gets high enough for me, even in direct sunlight. The phone has never gotten too warm.

LG did a nice job with this phone.

Great to hear.

I didn't get much time with it before I had to send it in for repairs, so I've missed out on weeks of fun. Should be reunited by Wednesday or so, then I can get into it.

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
Great to hear.

I didn't get much time with it before I had to send it in for repairs, so I've missed out on weeks of fun. Should be reunited by Wednesday or so, then I can get into it.

Sorry about that, I know from experience that sending your new toy in for repair doesn't leave a good impression, from both the phone and the company:(

I got a Spigen slim armor case for this phone and it arrived today. Looks very nice (though not as nice as the G3 back piece), and seems like it would help with protection very well. Also not too bulky.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Sorry about that, I know from experience that sending your new toy in for repair doesn't leave a good impression, from both the phone and the company:(

I got a Spigen slim armor case for this phone and it arrived today. Looks very nice (though not as nice as the G3 back piece), and seems like it would help with protection very well. Also not too bulky.

I have heard first hand that the screen scratches easily.

My Galaxy S4 basically seems bulletproof, I've thrown it around for a year without a screen protector and not a single mark on the screen!

Apparently the G3 requires one though, so let's see...

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
I have heard first hand that the screen scratches easily.

My Galaxy S4 basically seems bulletproof, I've thrown it around for a year without a screen protector and not a single mark on the screen!

Apparently the G3 requires one though, so let's see...

Im getting a tech armor ballistic glass screen protector (well, actually I had one but Im an idiot who tried to reapply it after seeing a piece of dust and ended up screwing everything up. But tech armor is awesome and is sending a replacement).

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Im getting a tech armor ballistic glass screen protector (well, actually I had one but Im an idiot who tried to reapply it after seeing a piece of dust and ended up screwing everything up. But tech armor is awesome and is sending a replacement).

Naive question but does that affect the sensitivity for things like the Knock Code/On etc?

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
Naive question but does that affect the sensitivity for things like the Knock Code/On etc?

In my short time using it before taking it off, not at all. Also, I actually think I prefer the feel of it compared to the regular G3 glass.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My G3 arrived back to me this morning!!

Just setting it all up properly all over again.

Any hints and tips for the best set up, please?

(For reference, been using GEL for months but am willing to experiment).

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Not rooted. Just using GNL for now but I was on Nova and the "faster than light" setting. All animations on .5 setting.

Best smartphone I ever used (until the next one). :)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Not rooted. Just using GNL for now but I was on Nova and the "faster than light" setting. All animations on .5 setting.

Best smartphone I ever used (until the next one). :)

I was using the (sideloaded) GNL on my S4 and loved it.

On the G3, the GNL icons seem ridiculously large and something just feels off.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
I have this phone as my business phone and I love it, but the screen on this device gets scratched very easily.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I have this phone as my business phone and I love it, but the screen on this device gets scratched very easily.

Yes it really does.

I've had to put a screen protector on it.

My old S4 was bulletproof without one, so it's a bit strange that the G3 does scratch easy.

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
Switching from Dalvik to ART in Developer options made home screen swiping much smoother in Nova Launcher. Highly recommend it.

Anyone have any good case recommendations? Currently using the Spigen Slim Armor, and while it looks nice and obviously is protective, its quite bulky. And I miss seeing the G3's Brushed metal back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.