The Mac that Lego built...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, May 19, 2003.

1. macrumors G3

I think this is just plain cool....

For you hardcore link junkies.... click here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3034177.stm

For the rest of you... full article below....!!

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha! That's great - and if you don't like the case or get tired of it you can always change it yourself :D

I just wish Lego would accept Macs in their robotic software - right now its all pc....

D

3. macrumors 6502

Haha, thats' great.

Edit: Uh, thats' strange. (Sorry Duke, I didn't read your post before replying.)

4. thread starter macrumors G3

I know what you mean about the Lego robotics.... they're so cool as well....

I used to work with a guy that was doing an MA in Hypermedia at Westminster, and they were involved in the development of the Lego smart blocks.... So for a year they got to play with interactive Lego.....!! MA in Lego.... heh-heh!!

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The Lego Robots are amazing - we actually used one set at work as a prototype/temporary feed system for one of our products. They're easily programmable and very robust. I have a Lego Cam that has motion sensing in the software. We've used it to do all sorts of fun things.

Only problem is that we have to hook it up to a damn PC.....

D

6. thread starter macrumors G3

That sounds pretty impressive... I'm not all clued up on everything they can do...

We need to start pestering Lego for a Mac version.... ;)

7. macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

macintosh mindstorm

I did see someone was doing a beta version for the mac somewhere last year, but apart from that, there is apparently a Mac edu version (at least that's claimed here --> http://fredm.www.media.mit.edu/people/fredm/mindstorms/

8. macrumors 6502a

9. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That's pretty cool! I wonder how much it will go for.

10. thread starter macrumors G3

It's currently at £295 or $480... :p :p :p

11. macrumors 6502

What are you talking about? I go to Wootton High School, and we participate in a cometition called botball. We just got first in the region and we have extrimely functional bots that are going to get us first place in nationals. We use RCXs, which are the yellow Lego CPUs that cost a little over $100, and Handboards, built by MIT, that are basically RCXs with 5 motor ports, 6 servo ports, and like a billion sensor ports. We use a lab full of 10 year old PCs for the programming of the bots (the lab was supposed to be removed last year, but since they didn't remove it, the robotics team took control of the lab.) Anyway, I have software on my iBook that I am using right now that can be used for the programming of both the RCXs and the Handyboards with NQC (not quite C). Macs can interface with Lego CPUs! I do it all the time.

12. thread starter macrumors G3

It finally sold for £365 or about $598 :p :p :p

Not bad business... ;)