Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
I think this is just plain cool....

For you hardcore link junkies.... click here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3034177.stm

For the rest of you... full article below....!!

It has to be one of the quirkiest computers on the block.

Daniele Procida could not bear to see a dead Mac thrown away - so he reconstructed it using Lego bricks pinched from his sons.

Rather than bin the Powerbook laptop, he refurbished it using hundreds of colourful pieces, set on mottled artificial green grass.

But now the Cardiff Apple consultant is selling his unique creation on auction site eBay, where the cool computer is proving a big hit.

Plastic

Mac addict Daniele chanced upon the bizarre notion when a Powerbook 5300 laptop was brought to his Apple Juice consultancy.

I can't bear to see Macs thrown away - this seemed appropriate

With a broken video connector, it was virtually irreparable.

"Rather than bin it, which seemed to me to be an almost criminal waste, I took it home to see what could be done," said the former philosophy lecturer.

"My children's Lego provided the answer."

He removed the machine's electronic innards from its laptop case and sealed it in a base unit made entirely from the children's plastic toy, borrowed from twins Anselmo and Tommaso, both six.

The result was as colourful and quirky a computer conversion as anyone is likely to find, complete with Apple's much-loved smiley face and Lego flowers.

Thesis

"It took a long time to come up with a design that met both aesthetic and technical requirements," Daniele added.

"Once I finally had it built, my girlfriend used it to write her doctoral thesis on feminist metaphysics."

Many computer enthusiasts design their own base units, but a complete re-build from a different material is a rarity, underlining typical Mac eccentricity.

The build took a month - time devoted every evening after work - and proved a perfect gift for Daniele's partner Carol.

It is a fully working 100MHz, 32Mb multi-coloured bundle of bricks running MacOS 8.1.

Bricks

Mr Procida, whose Apple Juice firm is based at Cardiff's Chapter arts centre, said: "It took quite a lot of bricks, but the Lego is actually the most expensive part.

The children's lego bricks were put to good use

"It is brilliant and really strong - it has great engineering properties. You could stand on it.

"Lego has great computer-like qualities - it is a binary toy; everything is either connected to something or it's not. And it's quite light, it only weighs about 750g."

Daniele criticised the "environmental waste" of dumped computer equipment, but his own creation comes complete with plastic Lego flowers and a collection of surrounding yellow characters.

Auction

Now, however, the machine is going up for sale on eBay, where it has so far attracted a high bid of £87.92.

"The time has come to part with it. I have too many Macintoshes," said Daniele.

"I'll be sorry to see it go. I hope it will go to a good home where it will continue to be used and enjoyed.

"Macs were always more than just black pieces of plastic - they always had a charm."

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ha! That's great - and if you don't like the case or get tired of it you can always change it yourself :D

I just wish Lego would accept Macs in their robotic software - right now its all pc....

D

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
Haha, thats' great.

Edit: Uh, thats' strange. (Sorry Duke, I didn't read your post before replying.)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ha! That's great - and if you don't like the case or get tired of it you can always change it yourself :D

I just wish Lego would accept Macs in their robotic software - right now its all pc....

D

I know what you mean about the Lego robotics.... they're so cool as well....

I used to work with a guy that was doing an MA in Hypermedia at Westminster, and they were involved in the development of the Lego smart blocks.... So for a year they got to play with interactive Lego.....!! MA in Lego.... heh-heh!!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The Lego Robots are amazing - we actually used one set at work as a prototype/temporary feed system for one of our products. They're easily programmable and very robust. I have a Lego Cam that has motion sensing in the software. We've used it to do all sorts of fun things.

Only problem is that we have to hook it up to a damn PC.....

D

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
The Lego Robots are amazing - we actually used one set at work as a prototype/temporary feed system for one of our products. They're easily programmable and very robust. I have a Lego Cam that has motion sensing in the software. We've used it to do all sorts of fun things.

Only problem is that we have to hook it up to a damn PC.....

D

That sounds pretty impressive... I'm not all clued up on everything they can do...

We need to start pestering Lego for a Mac version.... ;)

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
macintosh mindstorm

D

I did see someone was doing a beta version for the mac somewhere last year, but apart from that, there is apparently a Mac edu version (at least that's claimed here --> http://fredm.www.media.mit.edu/people/fredm/mindstorms/

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland

D
What are you talking about? I go to Wootton High School, and we participate in a cometition called botball. We just got first in the region and we have extrimely functional bots that are going to get us first place in nationals. We use RCXs, which are the yellow Lego CPUs that cost a little over $100, and Handboards, built by MIT, that are basically RCXs with 5 motor ports, 6 servo ports, and like a billion sensor ports. We use a lab full of 10 year old PCs for the programming of the bots (the lab was supposed to be removed last year, but since they didn't remove it, the robotics team took control of the lab.) Anyway, I have software on my iBook that I am using right now that can be used for the programming of both the RCXs and the Handyboards with NQC (not quite C). Macs can interface with Lego CPUs! I do it all the time.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
It finally sold for £365 or about $598 :p :p :p

Not bad business... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.