Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Res3387

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2021
I have a MacBook Air M2 (15”) that makes this cracking/pop sound every time the display turns on. It’s not due to the lid and the pressure that forms because the pop also happens when you turn off and turn on the display while keeping the lid open the entire time. It’s especially loud after a longer break (like after the night). I think it’s coming from the display itself; I’m also pretty sure the higher the brightness, the more noticeable. It happens every time the screen physically turns on, even if the MacBook was turned off and it only turned on to the Apple logo (indicating it’s not a macOS issue). It’s not a big deal, but I was wondering if you guys have this as well?

To reproduce: be in a quiet room, click on the Apple menu and select “Sleep.” Wake up the computer and as the display turns on, listen if it makes a pop sound.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
If you are within the return window, exchange it. If you still have active AppleCare warranty, have it serviced. What you are describing is a hardware issue, or worse, an electrical issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.