Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I was at a Radio Shack last week looking for a Firewire drive, but all they had in stock was a Maxtor USB. However the employee explained to me that the drive was simply compatible with USB. The near-exact conversation was:

dude: *points to specs on back of box* This says it's compatible with USB, which means that's not the only thing you can use it with. You can also use Firewire with it too.

me: *looks at box and sees "Compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1"* Uhh, it would say on here if it was compatible with Firewire.

dude: OK, but you could just use Firewire with the USB, right? *has a look on his face as if I didn't know what I was talking about*

me: No I can't. USB and Firewire have different plugs. If I try to put a Firewire cable in a USB port, it's not gonna fit; It would be like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Definitely one of the most ridiculous things I've heard from an employee within the past week.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I had a guy who reported to me that was put on a performance improvement plan. We outlined what he would need to do to get back on track in his job and met weekly to discuss his progress. Things weren't going well, to say the least. His reponse during these weekly meetings: "That's your opinion." :rolleyes:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Burger King:

Id like a #1, medium, with a Sierra Mist, with fries.

:: order up ::

hey can I have some BBQ sauce (me like to dip me fries in it)?

that will be $0.13.

are you serious?

(with his back now turned, this is the manager) ....yup.

Im tempted to go back and ask again, hopefully they will hand me the sauce first, then I will open my hand and drop all 13 pennies onto the greasy crap covered floor behind the counter.

MONEY FOR CONDIMENTS!?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Amazingly it costs them money to get them so some places charge for them.

this is fast food, they use tons and tons of condiments. if they are asking me for thirteen cents, I can only guess it costs them a fraction of a cent.

this is greed, truly. how can McDonalds or anyone ask for money for condiments. I dont care if it comes in packaging, this is fast food, its a money pit filled to the brim with huge profits. I think they can eat (pun intended) the fraction of a cent it costs for a whole case of BBQ sauce.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
that is, it is used to calibrate the test by getting response to a stressful question to which the true answer is known

No, they had a series of questions, all of which are "No" answers. Toward the end, they throw in a "Yes" answer to see if your just rattling off or if your really paying attention. I answered correctly and the guy laughed and told me I was the only one that day (out of about 14 people) that didn't answer No.

Maybe I'm dense but what did he get fired for? For knowing folks who did drugs?

Well, he became a known risk. US Customs does undercover operations related to drugs, and having a position where you could have knowledge of those operations in the course of your employment means you could be bought off by someone.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Me trying to buy a pack of smokes in a local Exxon one night. All spelling and grammatical errors are intentional to convey effect:

Clerk: You dint give me 'nuff money.
Me: Yes I did.
Clerk: You gae me a bunch of quarters.
Me: No, those are dollars.
*At this point, the clerk proceeds to scrutinize each of the four dollar coins I had given her*
Clerk: Dees dollars?
Me: Yes.
Clerk: When they start makin' dollars as coins?
Me: 1794.

Well, you are in 'Bama.:D

How could anyone not know about coins as dollars? Sheesh. Even in PoDunk IL, they know about it!

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
this is fast food, they use tons and tons of condiments. if they are asking me for thirteen cents, I can only guess it costs them a fraction of a cent.

this is greed, truly. how can McDonalds or anyone ask for money for condiments. I dont care if it comes in packaging, this is fast food, its a money pit filled to the brim with huge profits. I think they can eat (pun intended) the fraction of a cent it costs for a whole case of BBQ sauce.

Contrary to popular belief not everything McDonalds does is loaded to the brim with profits. Some of their items are - pop, for example, probably costs them a dime between the cup and drink itself but they make 10x-20x that on every drink order - but not everything is like that.

Anyway, they could be trying to disuade people from ordering extras since it does save money, or they may have had problems in the past with folks stealing by grabbing handfuls of condiments - or they could just have a greedy store manager.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Contrary to popular belief not everything McDonalds does is loaded to the brim with profits. Some of their items are - pop, for example, probably costs them a dime between the cup and drink itself but they make 10x-20x that on every drink order - but not everything is like that.

Anyway, they could be trying to disuade people from ordering extras since it does save money, or they may have had problems in the past with folks stealing by grabbing handfuls of condiments - or they could just have a greedy store manager.

when you make 10x on a soda, and most people do get a drink, then they can stand to lose the fraction of a fraction of a cent on condiments.

These are behind the counter, i cant recall a time when they put sauces just up for grabs.

on a new note, just came back from the same BK, now its eleven cents, WOOOO! 15% off!

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I'm hiring new staff for next year for the service that i'm running

Me: for the record, could you tell us was position you are applying for?
Him: umm, i'm not really sure. Could you tell me what your service does? i'm not really sure what i'm being interviewed for.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
I was at a Radio Shack last week looking for a Firewire drive, but all they had in stock was a Maxtor USB. However the employee explained to me that the drive was simply compatible with USB. The near-exact conversation was:

dude: *points to specs on back of box* This says it's compatible with USB, which means that's not the only thing you can use it with. You can also use Firewire with it too.

me: *looks at box and sees "Compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1"* Uhh, it would say on here if it was compatible with Firewire.

dude: OK, but you could just use Firewire with the USB, right? *has a look on his face as if I didn't know what I was talking about*

me: No I can't. USB and Firewire have different plugs. If I try to put a Firewire cable in a USB port, it's not gonna fit; It would be like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Definitely one of the most ridiculous things I've heard from an employee within the past week.

One of my coworkers (an engineer) swears he has gone into Radio Shacks and asked for "Flux Capacitors". He says that he usually gets the official company blank stare, but on one occasion, he had the employee actually trying to look up Flux Capacitors in the parts listings.

My own experience: A few years back, I asked a Radio Shack employee for a logic board battery for my Mac. His immediate response: "we don't stock anything for Macs!" So, I asked for a battery, stock number 23-026. He was glad to point them out. After paying, I calmly explained that this was a logic board battery for Macs. I wish I'd had a camera with me to record the totally plank-faced expression.

I don't think anyone will miss Radio Shack when they finally vanish.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Me: for the record, could you tell us was position you are applying for?
Him: umm, i'm not really sure. Could you tell me what your service does? i'm not really sure what i'm being interviewed for.

:D

I do have to say, though, that in my last major jobhunting phase, I got some cold calls from HR people at engineering firms, that would start with, "Tell me why you think you're right for this job." And I would have to remind them that they called me, that I appreciate it and am very willing to learn about them and understand how we might work together, but that they called me cold and I do not yet know anything about the job in question. ;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Years ago (in the 1970's) I worked at a McDonald's. This one older employee was from Glasgow Scotland and had an accent that at the very least made people here in California take notice. The poor guy was not the brightest and he'd tell everyone that Glasgow was the only place he knew where they spoke English without an accent. At first I figured it was an old joke. But then I found he was serious. He actually believed it and would "correct" people when they "misspoke". You could not argue with him the concept that there is no "correct" accent was not something he was going to agree with.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
A few days ago, I had an experience with Charter customer service/technical support.

Tech support call Wednesday night:
Me: Cable internet's down, blah blah blah
Them: Reboot everything
Me: Doesn't work. This problem is affecting our neighbors too. This happens all the time, the internet goes out for a few hours and comes back up on its own. It's unacceptable.
Them: I'll send a technician to your house so we can get this taken care of
Me: It's not anything wrong with my house or my equipment. Our neighbors are having problems too, it's something in the entire neighborhood.
Them: OK, I'll note that in the call and the technician will come out and check the node in the neighborhood and fix it.
Me: Please note that this problem is intermittent. I don't want them to come out here tomorrow, see that it's working, and leave. It will go out again. It might stay up for an hour, it might stay up for a month. But this happens more often than it should.
Them: I noted that, and they will check the node, blah blah blah. Appointment is sometime tomorrow between 1 and 5.

OK, well, the next morning, I get a call from someone at Charter:
Them: We just wanted to confirm your appointment for today between 1 and 5, is your cable internet working right now?
Me: Right now it is, but it goes up and down, and something is not right.
Them: Would you still like a technician to come out? (no, you can ignore the problem, dumbass)
Me: Yes.

About 30 minutes later, I get an automated recording from Charter, stating that the technician will arrive between 1:30 and 2:45. Yay, they narrowed it down for me.

The calls continue..
Me: They said the technician would be here by 2:45, it's 3:00 and he's not here.
Them: I'm showing that the appointment was until 5
Me: Yes, it was, and then I got a call stating that they would be here by 2:45
Them: Well, it says here 5, you'll have to wait until then
Me: Then if it's still until 5, then why did I get a call saying that it was 2:45?
Them: Our system says 5
At this point, I just hung up. I don't care what the original appointment was for, I was called back and told 2:45. Anything after that is late.

So, at 4:45, just a mere 2 hours late, the technician shows up at my door
Them: Where's the modem at?
(I take him to the room where it's installed at)
Me: Right here, but the problem is affecting the entire neighborhood, it surely can't be something in our house that's causing outages at several homes. The guy on the phone said it was the node outside.
Them: Well, we would need a different technician to work on the node (then WTF did the first guy send a non-node tech out for?)
Them: Is this (router) connected to this (cable modem)?
Me: Yes
Them: Is there a computer I could use
Me: Yep, this one (my PowerBook. I hate letting others use my stuff, but I suppose I didn't have a choice)
Them: Is this connected to the internet (he was confused by the lack of an ethernet cable between my laptop and router)
Me: Yes, it's wireless
Them: (pauses for a minute, clearly dumbfounded by our simple home network setup) Oh, OK.
He then goes downstairs and messes with the wiring
Them: I found your problem, a splitter was hooked up wrong
Me: So our splitter (which, by the way, even if the splitter was wrong, which I doubt, charter must've screwed up since they're the only ones who mess with it) was causing the outages for both our house and our neighbors house?
Them: No, it couldn't do that. They must have a bad splitter too
Me: So everytime our cable internet goes out, and we check with our neighbors and theirs happens to be out, it's just a coincidence that both of our splitters failed at exactly the same time?
Them: Um, I guess
Me: What about the node that the guy on the phone mentioned?
Them: He doesn't know what he was talking about. If it keeps happening, we'll have to send out a node technician (isn't that who I asked for in the first place)
Me: OK, I'll call back if I have problems. Bye.

I guess when you have a monopoly on high speed internet in the area, good customer service isn't necessary.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
At a wendy's drive though once the total was like 9 something and the lady taking the money could not under stand why I gave her a 10 and then some ones that I had and some change. I tried to explain to her the reason I gave the extra ones is I want a 5 back or something like that. she said you do not need to do that. I pushed for that is how I wanted to pay.

She finally gave and took it. I ended up getting back more money than I originally paid. I did not realize that until after I had pick up my food and driven off heading home and my brother looking at the change told me about it. At that point I was already 1/2 home and was like well free meal and a little money.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
At a wendy's drive though once the total was like 9 something and the lady taking the money could not under stand why I gave her a 10 and then some ones that I had and some change. I tried to explain to her the reason I gave the extra ones is I want a 5 back or something like that. she said you do not need to do that. I pushed for that is how I wanted to pay.

She finally gave and took it. I ended up getting back more money than I originally paid. I did not realize that until after I had pick up my food and driven off heading home and my brother looking at the change told me about it. At that point I was already 1/2 home and was like well free meal and a little money.

You kinda wonder how people even screw that up. The register calculates change. I used to work at Target and people gave me odd amounts of cash all the time. Even if I didn't know what their intentions were at first, I would count the cash they gave me, enter that into the register, and it would tell me how much change to give them. Usually, once it said the change was something like $5.x or $10.x what they wanted became very, very clear.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You kinda wonder how people even screw that up. The register calculates change. I used to work at Target and people gave me odd amounts of cash all the time. Even if I didn't know what their intentions were at first, I would count the cash they gave me, enter that into the register, and it would tell me how much change to give them. Usually, once it said the change was something like $5.x or $10.x what they wanted became very, very clear.

Yeah and what makes it even stranger is her arguing with me. When I was a cashier I honestly did not mind people giving me the extra 1's or change because it made my job easier because I had to give back fewer bills. Honestly I have not met a cashier who would did not like it when I did that. Minus when they where out of 5's and I need up getting back my ones any how.

Plus when I was a cashier I did not really not pay much attention to the persons total. I just would count the cash and hit enter and give back what the computer told me to do. I figure why care and spend the time figuring it out. Easier just to enter what ever the amount was put into my hand.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Burger King:

Id like a #1, medium, with a Sierra Mist, with fries.

:: order up ::

hey can I have some BBQ sauce (me like to dip me fries in it)?

that will be $0.13.

are you serious?

(with his back now turned, this is the manager) ....yup.

Im tempted to go back and ask again, hopefully they will hand me the sauce first, then I will open my hand and drop all 13 pennies onto the greasy crap covered floor behind the counter.

MONEY FOR CONDIMENTS!?
Well, go to McDonald's - they only charge $.11. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've never been able to understand it. I spend $4 for a meal and they can't give me a free packet of Ranch (or any other sauce)? It's ridiculous.

...But just wait until you travel to Germany and you get free bread at a restaurant but are charged $1.50 for 4 pads of butter. :confused: :rolleyes:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
...But just wait until you travel to Germany and you get free bread at a restaurant but are charged $1.50 for 4 pads of butter. :confused: :rolleyes:

you mean the EU in its entirety. no refills, no water, no ketchup, no butter, no salt without paying extra.

People across the pond just cant understand the sheer awesomeness of free refills at restaurants AND buffets. Go find a non-chinese buffet in Europe...not an easy task.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
you mean the EU in its entirety. no refills, no water, no ketchup, no butter, no salt without paying extra.

People across the pond just cant understand the sheer awesomeness of free refills at restaurants AND buffets. Go find a non-chinese buffet in Europe...not an easy task.

Well, that must be the reason why not everyone looks like a stranded whale here in Europe.;)

... <snip> he asked for a hot fudge Sundae and some seltzer water. When my dad got it, he found that the employee had poured the seltzer water into the hot fudge Sundae.

Perhaps they were thinking "Hmm... Root Beer float... seltzer float... well, okay..."

Well, that must be the reason why not everyone looks like a stranded whale here in Europe.;)

or maybe krill are a lot less expensive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.