Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I just got this FactCheck.org e-mail... Wow. Thats all I can say.

CEI Ad: "Energy"

Announcer: There’s something in these pictures you can’t see. It’s essential to life. We breathe it out.Plants breathe it in. It comes from animal life, the oceans, the earth, and the fuels we find in it. It’s called carbon dioxide---CO2. The fuels that produce C02 have freed us from a world of back-breaking labor, lighting up our lives, allowing us to create and move the things we need, the people we love. Now some politicians want to label carbon dioxide a pollutant. Imagine if they succeed. What would our lives be like then? Carbon dioxide.

They call it pollution. We call it life.
So, car exhaust is life giving? And if we outlaw Co2 everyone will die? Will I go to jail for exhaling?
CEI Ad: "Glaciers"

Announcer: You've seen those headlines about Global Warming. The glaciers are melting. We’re doomed! That's what several studies supposedly found.
(The Cover of Science Magazine is shown opening up)
Announcer: But other scientific studies found exactly the opposite: Greenland ’s glaciers are growing, not melting; The Antarctic ice sheet is getting thicker, not thinner. Did you see any big headlines about that? Why are they trying to scare us? Global warming alarmists claim the glaciers are melting because of carbon dioxide from the fuels we use. Let’s force people to cut back, they say.

But we depend on those fuels to grow our food, move our children, light up our lives. And as for carbon dioxide, it isn't smog or smoke. It’s what we breathe out and plants breathe in. Carbon dioxide. They call it pollution. We call it life.

Here is what the scientists behind the study say:
For one thing, the release said, Davis' study only reported growth for the East Antarctic ice sheet, not the entire Antarctic ice sheet. More importantly, it said that growth of the interior ice sheet is just what scientists had predicted would happen as a consequence of global climate warming, bringing about more snowfall in previously arid regions of the continent.

CEI, which gets just over 9 per cent ($270,000) of its budget from Exxon Mobil Corporation, said it was only trying to make sure the public hears "both sides of the story."

caio

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Kingsly said:
And if we outlaw Co2 everyone will die? Will I go to jail for exhaling?

No. You'll already be in jail because of something you said to someone over your telephone.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
They call it pollution. We call it life.

Perhaps we should all move to Mars then. After all, Mars' atmoshpere is composed of over 95% carbon dioxide. Imagine how much better life would be.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We should ban dihydrogen monoxide instead...that's the real danger.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Wow. If I ever run for office, I want these guy's spin doctors.

That's if we haven't all drowned from the rising sea levels :rolleyes:

C

CompUser

WildCowboy said:
We should ban dihydrogen monoxide instead...that's the real danger.

Oh yea, that stuff can kill ;)

---

Well, technically we could not survive with out C02. It is a key factor in respiration and with out it we would freeze to death at night.

Does anyone ever consider: "Global Dimming"

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Dont Hurt Me said:
George Bush "W" says there is no such thing as Global Warming, That should be good enough for everyone.:)
I think he said that it wasn't clear whether carbon dioxide could increase the temperature above the natural noise level. Hence, no need of signing the Kyoto protocol. :(
*Mental note: Buy a boat*

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
Kingsly said:
Actually, I am kind of looking forward to global warming. The resulting climate changes and subsequent ice age will clean up all the junk floating in the atmosphere.
...and we will be gone. I am not sure if find that particulary encouraging. I still think we all would be better off if Bush just would signed the Kyoto protocol.

The fat lady is warming up...

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
Dont Hurt Me said:
George Bush "W" says there is no such thing as Global Warming, That should be good enough for everyone.:)

I'm no GWB fan, but let's not attribute stuff to him that he didn't say...

Here's what he said about it during the debates in 2000:

Q: What about global warming?
BUSH: It’s an issue that we need to take very seriously. I don’t think we know the solution to global warming yet and I don’t think we’ve got all the facts before we make decisions.
GORE: But I disagree that we don’t know the cause of global warming. I think that we do. It’s pollution, carbon dioxide and other chemicals that are even more potent. Look, the world’s temperatures going up, weather patterns are changing, storms are getting more violent and unpredictable. And what are we going to tell our children?
BUSH: Yeah, I agree. Some of the scientists, I believe, haven’t they been changing their opinion a little bit on global warming? There’s a lot of differing opinions and before we react I think it’s best to have the full accounting, full understanding of what’s taking place.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dr.Gargoyle said:
...and we will be gone. I am not sure if find that particulary encouraging. I still think we all would be better off if Bush just would signed the Kyoto protocol.
... like it would've made a difference? As far as I can tell, its already too late to stop global warming. If there was a kyoto protocol in the 60's, then yeah. But now, the effects are irreversible.

By the way, homo sapiens survived the other ice ages with just some animal skins and spears. What makes you think we cant with satellites, sno-cats and flamin' hot MacBook Pro's.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
GWB's defence is the same the tobaco industry has been used for years. It is statistically impossible to determine whether cigarettes causes lung cancer, since there are more or less infinite number of possible variables. Same arguments has been raised regarding global warming. There are no statistical proofs that carbon dioxide causes enough global warming leading to a significant change in climate beyond the natural fluctuations.
It is impossible to prove anything statistically, when you have infinite number of uncontrolable variables. The perfect loophole.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I just feel sorry for the polar bears. They are truly beautiful creatures, and they're going to die out if the icecap retreats :(

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
Kingsly said:
... like it would've made a difference? As far as I can tell, its already too late to stop global warming. If there was a kyoto protocol in the 60's, then yeah. But now, the effects are irreversible.

By the way, homo sapiens survived the other ice ages with just some animal skins and spears. What makes you think we cant with satellites, sno-cats and flamin' hot MacBook Pro's.
You are right on thing. Even if we were to stop using fossile fuels today, we would still see an increase in the global warming for several decades. However, the battle isnt lost, but we seriously need to do something now. We need legislations preventing this madness now. Or rather, America as a nation needs to do that. Don't forget that you guys stand for 25% of CO2 in the world. :(

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
The scarrier danger is the destruction of the rain forests. By 2050 they are predicted to be ALL gone.

Quite sad actually, when most species of animals and plants are concentrated in this area, many of which have not even been discovered yet, as well as plants with potential medicinal-value being destroyed before we even get the chance to test them.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dr.Gargoyle said:
You are right on thing. Even if we were to stop using fossile fuels today, we would still see an increase in the global warming for several decades. However, the battle isnt lost, but we seriously need to do something now. We need legislations preventing this madness now. Or rather, America as a nation needs to do that. Don't forget that you guys stand for 25% of CO2 in the world. :(
...tell me about it. I seriously see red when I see a housewife driving around in a truck that looks like it could tow the space shuttle.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
MacFan782040 said:
The scarrier danger is the destruction of the rain forests. By 2050 they are predicted to be ALL gone.

I actually believe tropical deforestation is what's causing our climate change more than the CO2 emissions. Before we started wiping them out en masse, those forests regulated the environment for millions of years. If we'd left them intact, they might have kept the balance level however much carbon we pumped out.

Too late to find out now though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.