The most stupid global warming argument ever...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kingsly, May 26, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I just got this FactCheck.org e-mail... Wow. Thats all I can say.

So, car exhaust is life giving? And if we outlaw Co2 everyone will die? Will I go to jail for exhaling?
    Here is what the scientists behind the study say:
    CEI, which gets just over 9 per cent ($270,000) of its budget from Exxon Mobil Corporation, said it was only trying to make sure the public hears "both sides of the story."

caio

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

They must have made Michael Crichton's novel State of Fear required reading for staff.

3. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

No. You'll already be in jail because of something you said to someone over your telephone.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

Perhaps we should all move to Mars then. After all, Mars' atmoshpere is composed of over 95% carbon dioxide. Imagine how much better life would be.

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

George Bush "W" says there is no such thing as Global Warming, That should be good enough for everyone.:)

7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

yay for carb... *cough* ...bon... *horrible gargling sounds*... di...*slumps to the ground, dead*

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We should ban dihydrogen monoxide instead...that's the real danger.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

quote please

10. Queso macrumors G4

Wow. If I ever run for office, I want these guy's spin doctors.

That's if we haven't all drowned from the rising sea levels :rolleyes:

11. CompUser Guest

Oh yea, that stuff can kill ;)

---

Well, technically we could not survive with out C02. It is a key factor in respiration and with out it we would freeze to death at night.

Does anyone ever consider: "Global Dimming"

12. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Many people have drowned...so yeah...you are right :D

13. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I think he said that it wasn't clear whether carbon dioxide could increase the temperature above the natural noise level. Hence, no need of signing the Kyoto protocol. :(
    *Mental note: Buy a boat*

14. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Actually, I am kind of looking forward to global warming. The resulting climate changes and subsequent ice age will clean up all the junk floating in the atmosphere.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

16. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

...and we will be gone. I am not sure if find that particulary encouraging. I still think we all would be better off if Bush just would signed the Kyoto protocol.

The fat lady is warming up...

17. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I'm no GWB fan, but let's not attribute stuff to him that he didn't say...

Here's what he said about it during the debates in 2000:

Q: What about global warming?
    BUSH: It’s an issue that we need to take very seriously. I don’t think we know the solution to global warming yet and I don’t think we’ve got all the facts before we make decisions.
    GORE: But I disagree that we don’t know the cause of global warming. I think that we do. It’s pollution, carbon dioxide and other chemicals that are even more potent. Look, the world’s temperatures going up, weather patterns are changing, storms are getting more violent and unpredictable. And what are we going to tell our children?
    BUSH: Yeah, I agree. Some of the scientists, I believe, haven’t they been changing their opinion a little bit on global warming? There’s a lot of differing opinions and before we react I think it’s best to have the full accounting, full understanding of what’s taking place.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Spin & double talk,patronizing sprinkled with nothing.

19. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

... like it would've made a difference? As far as I can tell, its already too late to stop global warming. If there was a kyoto protocol in the 60's, then yeah. But now, the effects are irreversible.

By the way, homo sapiens survived the other ice ages with just some animal skins and spears. What makes you think we cant with satellites, sno-cats and flamin' hot MacBook Pro's.

20. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

GWB's defence is the same the tobaco industry has been used for years. It is statistically impossible to determine whether cigarettes causes lung cancer, since there are more or less infinite number of possible variables. Same arguments has been raised regarding global warming. There are no statistical proofs that carbon dioxide causes enough global warming leading to a significant change in climate beyond the natural fluctuations.
    It is impossible to prove anything statistically, when you have infinite number of uncontrolable variables. The perfect loophole.

21. Queso macrumors G4

I just feel sorry for the polar bears. They are truly beautiful creatures, and they're going to die out if the icecap retreats :(

22. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

You are right on thing. Even if we were to stop using fossile fuels today, we would still see an increase in the global warming for several decades. However, the battle isnt lost, but we seriously need to do something now. We need legislations preventing this madness now. Or rather, America as a nation needs to do that. Don't forget that you guys stand for 25% of CO2 in the world. :(

23. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

The scarrier danger is the destruction of the rain forests. By 2050 they are predicted to be ALL gone.

Quite sad actually, when most species of animals and plants are concentrated in this area, many of which have not even been discovered yet, as well as plants with potential medicinal-value being destroyed before we even get the chance to test them.

24. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

...tell me about it. I seriously see red when I see a housewife driving around in a truck that looks like it could tow the space shuttle.

25. Queso macrumors G4

I actually believe tropical deforestation is what's causing our climate change more than the CO2 emissions. Before we started wiping them out en masse, those forests regulated the environment for millions of years. If we'd left them intact, they might have kept the balance level however much carbon we pumped out.

Too late to find out now though.