Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
Here ladies and gents, are a bunh of hi-res shots of the new R8 along with the full explanation.

Pics at

http://www.porscheguys.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1245

All R8 info at http://www.porscheguys.com/files/r8.txt

I was sketchy at first but I think I like it now. I read the full press release and it sounds like a winner. Obviously Audi knows how to make high performance cars from their absolute domination of LeMans. I think it'll do well because Audi has a lot of customers and I bet a lot of people that have SL500's, 6-Series and 911's. I'll keep my 911 though:)

I like it though, it sounds like it will handle very well. I pisted this because I'm sure there are fellow car fans out there?

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
It's nice, but I'm a little confused as to why Audi would release this, when their corporate cousin, Lambo, already manufactures vehicles similar to the R8.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I don't really like it. It looks more porsche-like than audi-like.

Looks nothing like a (couldn't be bothered to change the design at all) Porsche .

iRobot anyone.

Looks amazing, can't wait to see one at the garage.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
it does look like a porsche crossed with a lambo. (now the picture link works for me!) Speaking of porsche, I think they need to do a lilttle update to their styling. What do you think?

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Speaking of porsche, I think they need to do a lilttle update to their styling. What do you think?

Ain't broke, don't fix it.

Their general design language hasn't really changed all that much. It makes Porsches some of the most identifiable cars on the road.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They do change the Porsche's design. Just not as much as other companies change THEIR designs. It makes the Porsche identifiable immediately, which is good for their company.

Anyway, the car looks good in white, but not in grey. That black bit on the side also looks atrocious, but I guess this is their way of making sure their car doesn't look exactly like a Lambourghini.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
It's nice, but I'm a little confused as to why Audi would release this, when their corporate cousin, Lambo, already manufactures vehicles similar to the R8.

Well... the word on the street is that VW is looking at offloading both Lamborghini and Bugatti, so that probably has something to do with it.

Regarding the R8... though I've been a big fan of Audi's committed approach to developing its design language in the past, I must say I've been disappointed with how they've progressed since the launch of the new A6 and the subsequent facelift of the A4 too.

The R8 isn't the Rosemeyer or Nuvolari I was hoping for in relation to it's aesthetics. Shame.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Well... the word on the street is that VW is looking at offloading both Lamborghini and Bugatti, so that probably has something to do with it.

Yeah, I've heard that too...although a lot has been made about Porsche's interest in VW as well. It certainly makes for very interesting corporate relations.

The R8 isn't the Rosemeyer or Nuvolari I was hoping for in relation to it's aesthetics. Shame.

I hear you on that one.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Isn't this supposed to be priced more affordably than the $180,000+ Gallardo? I remember hearing around $150k or something.

Anyways, I'm mixed on this design. A part of me really likes the lines and the "practicality" of the R8, but the other half secretly yearns for the outrageous, "in-your-face" styling of the R8's wild Italian sister :D

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Isn't this supposed to be priced more affordably than the $180,000+ Gallardo? I remember hearing around $150k or something.

MSRP *might* be lower on the R8, but given mark-ups and high demand, I'd say anywhere from $110k to $150k sounds about right.

I can't imagine these cars being sold for more than the 997 Turbo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.