Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
A new Google logo and interface is on its way. Rory was looking through his referrer logs when he discovered an unusual number of visits from an IP address. Following it revealed that it was a Google datacentre. Nothing unusual there, but when he started searching using it? Well – check this out.

Source: http://www.davidnaylor.co.uk/new-google-interface-and-logo-screen-caps-and-video.html

YouTube Video of New Site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBard-OVu4s&feature=player_embedded

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Is there any way to keep the google text input box from grabbing my cursor when the page loads?

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Is there any way to keep the google text input box from grabbing my cursor when the page loads?

I hate when most websites do that (like MSN or Yahoo) but for me the whole purpose of visiting Google.com is to type something into the search box :p

AFAIK there probably isn't any way to disable that.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

No there is not. It is coded into the the page

This line of code below forces it to go to it. The focus funtion is what is doing it. onload it tells it to focus on that bar and put the curse there.

Code:
onload="try{!google.j.b&&document.f.q.focus()}catch(e){};if(document.images)new Image().src='/images/nav_logo8.png'"

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
but for me the whole purpose of visiting Google.com is to type something into the search box :p
Well.. yeah, but the thing is that I don't like the goog search field in the upper right corner of the browser, I think it's creepy. So google is my home page, because most of the time that's where I want to begin. It comes up every time I open a new window. Except some of the time I don't want to use google, I want to go to some different page. So what ends up happening is I open a new window, click in the address field to enter a web address, google grabs my cursor and I type the first two or three letters of the address into the google search instead of the address field, then I have to click back into the address field.
GreaseMonkey
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Hmm… well this 'new' Google has been what's loaded on my Mac for at least the past fortnight, if not longer (maybe a month?).

I just presumed that it was one of those gradual roll-outs, because I've not seen it at work. I did a bit of searching when I first noticed it (thinking Google might have 'flipped a switch' and everyone was seeing it) and therefore was expecting some mention on the Web - but no one else seemed to have noticed/written about it then.

The new sidebar icons are quite good, very simple and the different colours help, but I'm not sure about the shade of yellow they've chosen for the letter 'o' - it looks most odd when the 'o's are displayed in 'Goooooooogle'.

I think i remember reading somewhere that Google do study peoples' reactions to the specific colours they choose for various interface elements on their sites, and tweak accordingly. Maybe there are even different versions of the new homepage in circulation on the Web, 'beta-testing' new colour-ways, designs etc.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hmm… well this 'new' Google has been what's loaded on my Mac for at least the past fortnight, if not longer (maybe a month?).

I just presumed that it was one of those gradual roll-outs, because I've not seen it at work. I did a bit of searching when I first noticed it (thinking Google might have 'flipped a switch' and everyone was seeing it) and therefore was expecting some mention on the Web - but no one else seemed to have noticed/written about it then.

The new sidebar icons are quite good, very simple and the different colours help, but I'm not sure about the shade of yellow they've chosen for the letter 'o' - it looks most odd when the 'o's are displayed in 'Goooooooogle'.

I think i remember reading somewhere that Google do study peoples' reactions to the specific colours they choose for various interface elements on their sites, and tweak accordingly. Maybe there are even different versions of the new homepage in circulation on the Web, 'beta-testing' new colour-ways, designs etc.

Yeah I saw it briefly in the past too.

I hope it won't be anything like the Youtube "redesign."

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I use Command+L to go to the URL line. Since your hands will already be on the keyboard in preparation of entering the URL, just get into the habit of pressing Command+L. :)

-Aaron-

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I use Command+L to go to the URL line. Since your hands will already be on the keyboard in preparation of entering the URL, just get into the habit of pressing Command+L. :)

-Aaron-

as if i never even knew that shortcut :D

ill be using that every time now thanks

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
And don't forget Command + alt (Option) + F to Google search!
This shortcut is a variation on the Command + F to search for text on the current Webpage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.