Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
I've come to the conclusion they assumed everyone would use voice search and that it would work perfectly every time. You should be able to type in something like "Disney" and get every Disney movie. Try it. It's horrid.

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC
Last night I got the no video (black screen), but audio still there issue as well.

Did you figure out a way to get the video to show? I have restarted the box, reinstalled the app but get the no video, but audio each time in the Netflix app. I use PLEX as well and have no problems with it, so I've ruled out the port or cable.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
My netflix installation recently crashes a lot.
Reinstalled, even reset AppleTV all settings, to no avail.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
This UI is on all of their other supported devices.
No, there are differences.

On my Sony Bravia, the Netflix homescreen initially looks like the ATV4 one, except there's no Menu row at the top of the list - the first row is Popular on Netflix. However, if I press up, it reveals the Menu row, and on Bravia there's a big button labelled CATEGORIES in the same place where the ATV4 Netflix Menu row has a big ol' magnifying glass. If I click Categories, a neat and familiar list of categories appears on the left. It's basically like the iOS app except the thumbnails are landscape instead of portrait.

Netflix UI flavors I have access to, in order of ease of use
1. iOS app
2. Bravia
3. Web UI
4. ATV3
5-9 -----
10. ATV4

The lack of a Categories menu, plus the pesky bug with video freezing while audio continues, makes the ATV4 version so much worse than the other four I had to insert 5 empty spots on the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonyr6

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
1. iOS app
2. Bravia
3. Web UI
4. ATV3
5-9 -----
10. ATV4

The lack of a Categories menu, plus the pesky bug with video freezing while audio continues, makes the ATV4 version so much worse than the other four I had to insert 5 empty spots on the list.

I couldn't agree more with you.

The Netflix app is almost useless in the ATV4.

Only one damn row to see the titles in my big TV screen? I don't need to see a huge poster with the description of the selected movie at the top. I first want to be able to browse many titles at the same time.

The iOS App, on the other hand, is a beauty. The one in the ATV3 wasn't that bad either.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Also the credit card size shrinking of the credits and the much swiping and clicking required to get them full screen is annoying too.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Up until recently I have had no issues with Netflix on ATV 4. But for a few episodes of Mad Men and now with the Raunch about 1 minute or so in the video freezes but the sound continues. I go back a few frames and it works again without problem.

I do agree that the UI is could be a lot better organized. You would think they would have a section just for Netflix originals?

Reactions: errol

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Up until recently I have had no issues with Netflix on ATV 4. But for a few episodes of Mad Men and now with the Raunch about 1 minute or so in the video freezes but the sound continues. I go back a few frames and it works again without problem.

I do agree that the UI is could be a lot better organized. You would think they would have a section just for Netflix originals?

I'm experiencing the same thing as of late. Video freezes, sound continues. Have to jump around the video or play with the pause/play button to get it back.

Reactions: Kurri and tonyr6

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
No, there are differences.

On my Sony Bravia, the Netflix homescreen initially looks like the ATV4 one, except there's no Menu row at the top of the list - the first row is Popular on Netflix. However, if I press up, it reveals the Menu row, and on Bravia there's a big button labelled CATEGORIES in the same place where the ATV4 Netflix Menu row has a big ol' magnifying glass. If I click Categories, a neat and familiar list of categories appears on the left. It's basically like the iOS app except the thumbnails are landscape instead of portrait.

1. iOS app
2. Bravia
3. Web UI
4. ATV3
5-9 -----
10. ATV4

Interesting, I've never had video freeze and audio continue. My ATV was on wifi with fios 50/50

The UI doesn't require a engineering degree. But to each his own I guess.

John_Hagan

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2016
Netflix works fine for me on a TWC 30/6 internet connection. Maybe I've just been lucky, but no video freezes at all. I can honestly say that I think the Netflix app on my ATV4 is fine, no complaints here.

HoiPiet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
Its a single click to get the credits to expand. The percentage of people who actually watch them is probably tiny.

Reactions: 2010mini

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Go back to your ATV3 and try using Netflix on it... You'll be pretty happy with what is offered on the ATV4.

I can't because I sold all of my ATV3 on the day ATV4 was released.

kidding aside... beside netfilx app usability issue, everything on ATV4 is a leap ahead of ATV3, no doubt. both software and hardware (Siri touch Remote) are much much better than ATV3.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Ok so 'My List' is now at the top which is fantastic.
I trust this is the same for everyone?

I can't because I sold all of my ATV3 on the day ATV4 was released.

kidding aside... beside netfilx app usability issue, everything on ATV4 is a leap ahead of ATV3, no doubt. both software and hardware (Siri touch Remote) are much much better than ATV3.

I'll just tell you, I took my Apple TV 4 in due to Wi-Fi issues and had to fall back on my ATV3, it was a nightmare, ATV4 implements the Netflix interface that almost every other device is using, plus with dictation, I just say "Play Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on Netflix" and wait about 3 seconds for it to process what I said then take me to the movie and start playing it. On the previous interface I had to click to the Netflix app, click the Netflix app, click my movie account, click...click...click...click... about 50 clicks later ... click...click on play. Even with search it took a few minutes unless I had my iPhone nearby.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
On the previous interface I had to click to the Netflix app, click the Netflix app, click my movie account, click...click...click...click... about 50 clicks later ... click...click on play. Even with search it took a few minutes unless I had my iPhone nearby.
You still have to do that in sweden, swing and miss.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Now that Netflix Apple TV blocks IPv6 tunnels I might be done with the crappy Apple TV for good.

I believe the IPv6 blocking is not exclusive to ATV4. The content owners are forcing Netflix to do this.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I believe the IPv6 blocking is not exclusive to ATV4. The content owners are forcing Netflix to do this.
Your right about that except that IPv4 only devices like the Roku and Fire TV still work even if you are using a tunnel service. What irrkes me is that Ipv6 can't be disabled on the Netflix app or the ATV.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Your right about that except that IPv4 only devices like the Roku and Fire TV still work even if you are using a tunnel service. What irrkes me is that Ipv6 can't be disabled on the Netflix app or the ATV.

Why are you using a tunneling service by the way?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Deleted Netflix off my Apple TV since with my current router there is no way to turn off IPv6 and I am not going nuclear just for there Netflix app. Netflix works fine on my IPv4 only devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.