Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will it be released?

• July

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • August

Votes: 22 3.4%
  • September

Votes: 520 79.8%
  • After September

Votes: 55 8.4%
  • NEVER!!!

Votes: 48 7.4%

• Total voters

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Well a little more sophisticated than paint. A thin layer of metallic chrome is uniformly applied to the metal part using a bath of plating solution. I think the part might look better without the chrome plating. It would look like a stainless steel appliance (e.g. refrigerator). More resistant to scratching than with the chrome plating, but prone to finger prints.
That would be awesome! Even with the finger print prone....ness. Better than scratch prone.

I wanna see how it would look without the chrome.... Layer.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
There is no chrome layer. Only polished steel. That is why it scratches so easily.

EDIT: "Looks can be amazing.

iPod touch has an all-new design that makes it the thinnest, lightest, most amazing iPod touch ever. Holding one is all the proof you need. With its curved design, iPod touch is now a mere 7.2 millimeters thin. Its engineered glass front and stainless steel back feel sleek and smooth in your hand. Turn it on, and you're instantly blown away by the brilliant Retina display. iPod touch is the perfect combination of stunning design and revolutionary technology — brilliant from the outside in."

From apple.com ;)

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I'm so confused! :confused:

Steel appliances have the "brushed steel" finish, while the iPod's back is polished (probably by hand) un cotton wheels until it shines. There is no need for chrome to make it shiny.

And moreover, my iPod's back produces reflections that are slightly darker than the chrome on my father's '69 Volvo (which has real chrome, I'm 100% sure, it was common back then).

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Steel appliances have the "brushed steel" finish, while the iPod's back is polished (probably by hand) un cotton wheels until it shines. There is no need for chrome to make it shiny.

And moreover, my iPod's back produces reflections that are slightly darker than the chrome on my father's '69 Volvo (which has real chrome, I'm 100% sure, it was common back then).
Wait... So there is no chrome at all?

ryan0402

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
I just want the ipod to look like the 4 it is so nice. I am hinking of buying an iphone 4 case for the new ipod cause I hate scratches

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I just want the ipod to look like the 4 it is so nice. I am hinking of buying an iphone 4 case for the new ipod cause I hate scratches

iPhone 4 case for the iPod touch 4? Would it fit? :confused: I would've loved an iPhone 4 look too, it feels good when you hold it.

Wait... So there is no chrome at all?
Apple said:
Its engineered glass front and stainless steel back feel sleek and smooth in your hand.
Oh wait.. lewis82 already mentioned it.

luigiman20

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
The back is chrome. I got my ipod a couple days ago and since there is no cases out for it yet (iphone cases are too big for it), I already some smudges and a few small scratches on the back of it and I've been taking REALLY good care of it! It is definitely just like the third, second, and first gen's back.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
The back is chrome. I got my ipod a couple days ago and since there is no cases out for it yet (iphone cases are too big for it), I already some smudges and a few small scratches on the back of it and I've been taking REALLY good care of it! It is definitely just like the third, second, and first gen's back.

The first, second, and third gen backs were NOT, I repeat, NOT chrome.

Shiny is not necessarily chrome. It has always been polished steel.

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
The first, second, and third gen backs were NOT, I repeat, NOT chrome.

Shiny is not necessarily chrome. It has always been polished steel.

The backs WERE, I repeat, WERE chrome.
The backs are stainless steel but they are chrome-plated. So they essentially ARE chrome because thats what is on the outside. People don't care what's on the inside, unless it it's properties are on the outside.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
wow 68 pages regarding ipod touch 4g.

It just goes to show how ipod touch 5g is being forgotten(as well as the ipod line)

There barely is even one thread that is 30 pages regarding ipod touch 5g.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
wow 68 pages regarding ipod touch 4g.

It just goes to show how ipod touch 5g is being forgotten(as well as the ipod line)

There barely is even one thread that is 30 pages regarding ipod touch 5g.
This is a really old thread.

Plus, this thread went up to right around the release, and probably started a few months before.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
I was just reviewing the new iPhone's innovations. I think a lot of these iPhone innovations definetly rub off on the Ipod Touch 4G. Such as:

Camera, definetly
Maybe facetime
Multi Tasking
Better Res, maybe not HD, but better
App Folders
Ability to change your springboard
Reintroduction of 16gb storage capacity

Just Maybe:cool:

Back Camera might get an upgrade...
FaceTime camera is the same for the iPod Touch 4 and iPhone 4
Both can multitask
Both have app folders
Both can change the springboard (wallpaper behind apps)
Reintroduction may or may not happened (iPod Touch gets 2 flash sticks, iPhone only gets 1)
Resolution is the same, but without IPS. Perhaps they might add IPS.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
This is a really old thread.

Plus, this thread went up to right around the release, and probably started a few months before.

This one started on June 14th

Numerous 5g threads were started in November March and May, none have even broken the 20 page mark.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Back Camera might get an upgrade...
FaceTime camera is the same for the iPod Touch 4 and iPhone 4
Both can multitask
Both have app folders
Both can change the springboard (wallpaper behind apps)
Reintroduction may or may not happened (iPod Touch gets 2 flash sticks, iPhone only gets 1)
Resolution is the same, but without IPS. Perhaps they might add IPS.

You're replying to a comment from over a year ago. Of course it's going to have out of date info about current products. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.