Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
For the record, NBC is totally fine with the lockout - in the long term. In the short term, not so much.

The NBC pays the NHL for the TV rights this year - regardless of whether hockey is played. However, they get compensated with an additional free TV year on top of the 'end' of the current deal.

Even considering apathetic fans, the NHL will still grow when the league resumes play. The NHL TV rights in 10 (or however long their deal is) years will be worth more than it is today. It just sucks for them in the short time since they have large programming voids to fill.

Re: negotiations, hooray.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Looks like there's a bit of optimism right now. The two sides seem to be meeting (but not today :rolleyes:), and no details are being leaked. That's usually a good sign.

My theory is that both sides were purposefully holding out until November hit. I bet it was a part of both of their strategies to see which side would break first. Now that November has arrived and neither side has broken, they both see that they really have to get down to business and negotiate before the whole season is lost.

However, I think that the owners side has given up more than the players side at this point. Getting down to 50/50 and stating that all signed deals will be honored and not clawed back are significant concessions on the owners part.

If negotiations don't fall apart in the next couple of days, I think we may see an agreement (or a framework for one) in the next two weeks. If not, F them both.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Looks like there's a bit of optimism right now. The two sides seem to be meeting (but not today :rolleyes:), and no details are being leaked. That's usually a good sign.

My theory is that both sides were purposefully holding out until November hit. I bet it was a part of both of their strategies to see which side would break first. Now that November has arrived and neither side has broken, they both see that they really have to get down to business and negotiate before the whole season is lost.

However, I think that the owners side has given up more than the players side at this point. Getting down to 50/50 and stating that all signed deals will be honored and not clawed back are significant concessions on the owners part.

If negotiations don't fall apart in the next couple of days, I think we may see an agreement (or a framework for one) in the next two weeks. If not, F them both.

Rumor has it'll be signed and done with in 10 days. I hope that's true, otherwise I'm with you... F them both.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Rumor has it'll be signed and done with in 10 days. I hope that's true, otherwise I'm with you... F them both.

My worry is even if we get the make whole issue fixed in the next 10-14 days, there is a long list of unresolved items-Free Agency and all its associated issues, olympics, disciplinary procedures, new rules(if any), drug test, player safety and god knows what else.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I really hope that there is some hockey but after the winter classic was cancelled my little hope just got smaller. Plus I want to see my new seats at MSG!

If it is signed in 10 days when will the season start first week in December?

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I really hope that there is some hockey but after the winter classic was cancelled my little hope just got smaller. Plus I want to see my new seats at MSG!

IF (and that is a major, major IF) it is signed before Thanksgiving, it is possible but I think its more realistic to say the 2nd week (the week of the 10th). It will also depend on how long the season actually ends up being.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

Taking 10 days literally (which I doubt, but who knows), they'd start the first week of December at the latest. 10 days is the 15th. I bet they would do training camp ASAP - the week of the 19th. They could start up before November is over. Or just save training camp for the last week in November and start December 1-3.

I still highly doubt a deal is coming in 10 days though. Lot of work to be done.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I had the greatest time tonight driving the hour down to Toledo with a few friends to see the ECHL's Toledo Walleye. The OHL Plymouth Whalers are 5-10 mins away, but we were feeling something different.

It was the most fun for $15 I've ever had. The arena is beautiful, right on the glass seats, so many fun and whacky promos and a mostly full house. Good times.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
They're only meeting because they know they'll look like even bigger douchebags if they don't.

I bet they sit in different rooms during these "meetings" too.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
In Honor of Hall of Fame Induction day, I suggest add a category called destroyer to the list of possible inductions-

we have the player and builder categories-why not honor those who destroyed our game and remind everyone of what can happen when the inmates run the nut house...

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
In Honor of Hall of Fame Induction day.

5ygu2e7a.jpg

Yes, congrats to the class of 2012.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry guys, I'm leaving the forums, so someone else will have to take over the NHL threads from now on. I've enjoyed discussing hockey with you all :)

This place isn't fun anymore (not this thread, the forums in general).

All the best to everyone, and GO LEAFS :p

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Sorry guys, I'm leaving the forums, so someone else will have to take over the NHL threads from now on. I've enjoyed discussing hockey with you all :)

GO JAYS next year ........ maybe.

Bye. :(

See you on Twitter. :D

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran

Been a pleasure yacking with you for the past 2.5 seasons-

take care

(and if you have alternative means of communication, please DM me!)

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Because I don't want this thread to die like our season, I want to try get a discussion about something other than our current problem. With that, what is the most memorable game everyone has seen live and in person?

For me, its a tie-
I was at Fan Appreciation day a number of years ago (2001 if I recall) and it was hat day. The sharks scored a late game tying goal by Mike Ricci. Why is this meaninful? Because it was a hat trick and the giveaway that day was...
HATS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeAqUgq3YDI
Suffice to day it took a while for them to clean it up.

Then in typical Sharks fashion, we lose in OT.

The second game I remember the most for who I was with-

vincent damphousse played in his 1,000th game as a shark on a road game. The next home game he was honored with the typical 1,000 game fan fare (family and parents in attendance, gifts ,ect).

When the game started, two people sat down in front of us. Who were they? None other than Vincent Damphousse's PARENTS! They were very kind and polite and it was an odd experience as there were instances were we almost bit our tongue not wanting to be disrespectful.

Nevertheless it was a great game (we lost it too in OT but it was a wild back and fourth game with the Oilers that could have gone either way)

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Well, it's make or break at this point. They're either going to get a deal done today (or in the next few days) or we can kiss the season goodbye for good.

Fingers crossed.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
i haven't been following with the lockout is the season cancelled? i just bought a pair of skates and realized i haven't seen hockey in so long

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
i haven't been following with the lockout is the season cancelled? i just bought a pair of skates and realized i haven't seen hockey in so long

Season isn't cancelled yet. The schedule through December 14th is cancelled currently. If they don't get something done within a week or so, then it's probably time to call it quits, though they might not officially call it off until January if the negotiations fall apart.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Season isn't cancelled yet. The schedule through December 14th is cancelled currently. If they don't get something done within a week or so, then it's probably time to call it quits, though they might not officially call it off until January if the negotiations fall apart.
From legendary goalie Ken Dryden
It’s hard to believe that Bettman doesn’t see the damage being done.

It’s hard to believe that Fehr doesn’t see that standing up and fighting back, that pride without an agreement, won’t hold for long.

It’s hard to believe that both the owners and players are so tied up in the rightness of their own side and the wrongness of the other guys that they can’t see the earth they’re both scorching. It’s hard to believe that both Bettman and Fehr, the owners and players, can’t see that no season, no victory.

We need to be worried about saving next year-saving this year would be an insult to fans and everyone except the players and owners

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I've gotten by just fine - going back to the CCHA and OHL roots, while exploring new avenues like the ECHL. I'm pretty much at the point where I don't miss the NHL any more.*

*That being said, I do recognize that if the NHL were to return, after an intentional act to ignore the first few games/weeks, I would probably return to the rabid NHL fan I once was. I can't deny that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.