Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Well, I can print to our fax machines fine, but I can't use those for regular proof printing as those are heavily used by the rest of the employees around here and they only print 8.5x11.

Thanks for the suggestion on the printer! Once these printers finally die (whenever that is, they've been going since before I got here 10 years ago) I can make a suggestion to my boss. He's been avoiding thinking about what will happen when they die. :D

The other issue is that a purchase of anything around here takes a while.

We went about four years between the time our server was diagnosed as dying and replacement if that tells you anything.

Lol you don't have to tell me, i work as a Prepress Operator in a large printing company so i know how hard it is to convince management to upgrade hardware/software. We were lucky that all our printers were able to support Direct to IP when OSX ditched Appletalk. We are currently running 10.8.5 and it seems to be bug free and compatible with all our software, for now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Lol you don't have to tell me, i work as a Prepress Operator in a large printing company so i know how hard it is to convince management to upgrade hardware/software.
Ahhh…kindred soul! I've got a friend in Maryborough (Victoria) that runs a print shop. Fortunately for him, he's the boss so he gets to upgrade whenever he wants, LOL!

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Ahhh…kindred soul! I've got a friend in Maryborough (Victoria) that runs a print shop. Fortunately for him, he's the boss so he gets to upgrade whenever he wants, LOL!

We currently have a Plate processor that is literally being held together with some straps, bloody tightass management lol.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We currently have a Plate processor that is literally being held together with some straps, bloody tightass management lol.
I hear you! Both our Xantés cannot draw from the manual feed trays any more (despite that picture). So, one does 8.5x11 and the other does 11x17, both from cassette.

We have to order toner cartridges third party now. Xanté stopped making paper printers years ago so they don't do toner cartridges now and the local shop I guess got too expensive.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I hear you! Both our Xantés cannot draw from the manual feed trays any more (despite that picture). So, one does 8.5x11 and the other does 11x17, both from cassette.

We have to order toner cartridges third party now. Xanté stopped making paper printers years ago so they don't do toner cartridges now and the local shop I guess got too expensive.

Seems like you have a good case to upgrade to a more modern printer, goodluck!

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Apple has made decisions of late that leave many incredulous - dumbing down of the OS morphing into ios, non upgradable comps and glue, retrograde of the mini, while focusing on ios, ipad pros and the iwatch (what next iwatch pro?) and of course the cloud where they haven' figured out how to make it functionally viable without controlling everyone in the cloud eco system.

IMO the writing is on the wall, the architecture to replace intel and OSX is IOS.
Apple is not a computer company anymore it is obvious. Personal computing is not where it's at for Apple and all the greedy corps, control is. Control of all the serfs dependent on them with ios receivers for access to their super cloud computers holding all the data, all the software, and all the rights of ownership.

This was the ideal over 20 years ago, I remember seeing a documentary on that exact subject and how leaders in the industry foresaw exactly such a scenario. I never forgot it, and now everything the industry is doing seems to lead in that direction.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
It would be mad for Apple to do this. Just as they are starting to get a foot in the business door, and Mac sales are at an all time high changing architecture and basically making all the application people use no longer work unless the developer re makes them is bonkers.

My first Mac ran 10.7 (a 2011 Air), and when i first got it i got really frustrated as i learned i could not play the Mac versions of all these games from the past i loved because the Mac versions were Power PC and Rosetta was only in Mac OS X until 10.6. I wanted to play the Sims 2 !! i was so peeed off with Apple for removing the Rosetta Engine. So had to resort to Parallels Desktop and running the Windows version. With some games i use Wine, but i think Wine only works because Macs are currently Intel (correct me if i am wrong here), so no Wine if they went ARM would be problem.

The 2013/2014 Airs have really good battery life, extremely good really when you think they about how thin they are. We have greater compatibility with the Windows world under Intel architecture, so i see no advantage to moving to ARM for the desktop class products.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Just as they are starting to get a foot in the business door, and Mac sales are at an all time high changing architecture and basically making all the application people use no longer work unless the developer re makes them is bonkers.

Are you on crack?

Apple have been shooting themselves in the foot with business users since at least 2008. Snow Leopard was the last sensible version of OS X server, and that added zero new features. The SMB support in desktop OS X has been buggy crap since 10.7.

There were a couple of years after the Intel transition where Apple were making strides in Business use. Since everything headed towards to cloud services, it's borderline unmanageable. Trying to buy Apple's Mac software is a complete pain in the ass, and the IT depts have no control over the software once you install it.

We've dumped all our Macs but two, and they're 2008 era kit running 10.6. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

The hardware is stunning, the OS is excellent. Everything else they've screwed up in favour of consumers buying shiny iOS trinkets.

/rant over

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Are you on crack?

Apple have been shooting themselves in the foot with business users since at least 2008. Snow Leopard was the last sensible version of OS X server, and that added zero new features. The SMB support in desktop OS X has been buggy crap since 10.7.

There were a couple of years after the Intel transition where Apple were making strides in Business use. Since everything headed towards to cloud services, it's borderline unmanageable. Trying to buy Apple's Mac software is a complete pain in the ass, and the IT depts have no control over the software once you install it.

We've dumped all our Macs but two, and they're 2008 era kit running 10.6. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

We (the IT Department i manage) moved our whole work place from Windows clients to Mac in 2014. Got 65 iMacs and 50 Macbook Airs, 3 Macbook Pros and 3 Mac Mini's (As well as 200 iPads) so maybe i am on crack for doing it, but its one happier world.

You have got Cisco now using more Macs then ever before http://www.infoworld.com/article/2612386/mac-os-x/cisco-shows-how-to-manage-35-000-macs.html

Google have over 40,000 Macs deployed.

One of many articles saying Mac Business usage on the rise http://www.informationweek.com/infr.../mac-enterprise-adoption-grows/d/d-id/1269595

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
That's the rise of BYOD. Give users the choice and they flock to Apple.

Work have around 4000 devices, and we use a lot of systems that are Windows only. Going Apple just isn't an option for most users outside of companion devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.