Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I typically use nothing more than a case and a screen protector for my phone.

Car chargers are often non-device specific, so I just use a Belkin one that comes with a Lightning cable.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
You can buy a ton of accessories, but you still can't buy a spare iPhone battery!;)

Seriously, having a spare battery is sweet. As far as other accessories, most android flagships have a plethora of accessories. Definitely, not a deciding factor .

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
It is actually one of the things I liked about the iPhone. I used to have an Android phone and the only place I could find cases for it was on eBay or Amazon. Usually the cases ended up being crappy and had no reviews so I had no idea what I was getting.

The iPhone has manufacturers that make really nice cases and you can buy them anywhere. They also have a lot of reviews so you know you aren't buying crap. It is also nice to go to the store and be able to feel what the case is like.

If you get a flagship android phone, it probably isn't so bad. I am just amazed when I go to Wal-Mart and they have like an entire aisle dedicated to iPhone cases and outside of that maybe 5 cases total for various other phones.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Why didnt you buy items that had reviews?

Because I couldn't find anything with reviews or if there were reviews, they were bad ones. I had the Samsung Moment and then the year after, I got the Samsung Epic. It was the same situation with both phones.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
No. When choosing a device, accessories are very far down my list. I buy a case and a screen protector and I'm good to go. Don't need 3,934 options.

I don't buy a case or a screen protector.

Are the accessories! Granted I own a Note 3 and fully expected the amount of accessories would be far less than say the the iPhone or the small Android phones out there. However this has me seriously considering a return to the iPhone 6 5.5". I love Android and the form factor of the Note 3, however I miss the endless supply of accessories the iPhone has. Anyone else out there considering a return to the iPhone because of this?

isn't it a little on the ironic side that the universal Micro USB has LESS accessories than the proprietary Apple Connectors, awkward...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
What lightning connector based accessories don't have microusb counterparts? Just curious

isn't it a little on the ironic side that the universal Micro USB has LESS accessories than the proprietary Apple Connectors, awkward...

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
The only thing I honestly miss from my iPhone is the automatic backups. However I am finding ways with Android for that (like Google+ always backing up new photos, contacts stored with my gmail, etc). Still getting used to Android but not going back to an iPhone (phones cost less plus monthly fees are way cheaper).

KarlDag

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2014

I think it has more to do with software than hardware. Companies make accessories with the lightning port because they know all apple hardware (with lightning connector) will behave the same way, send the same information, etc.

On the android since of the fence not all phones support all the same protocols. Also, android is only getting USB audio out officially in Android L.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The only thing I honestly miss from my iPhone is the automatic backups. However I am finding ways with Android for that (like Google+ always backing up new photos, contacts stored with my gmail, etc). Still getting used to Android but not going back to an iPhone (phones cost less plus monthly fees are way cheaper).

The lack of auto-backups is a huge sore spot in the Android user base. No one can understand why that isn't a feature at this point.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The lack of auto-backups is a huge sore spot in the Android user base. No one can understand why that isn't a feature at this point.

Android L is 'rumored' to have this. The code is there, I just think the sheer amount of data storage required may be something Google has to figure out. Remember, there are hundreds of millions more Android devices than iOS devices.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Android L is 'rumored' to have this. The code is there, I just think the sheer amount of data storage required may be something Google has to figure out. Remember, there are hundreds of millions more Android devices than iOS devices.

It's that fragmentation that hurts android

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I never have a problem finding things for Android phones. Chargers are easy to find, cases, screen protectors, headphones, wireless chargers(though ive never bought one).....what else is there that you need? You would have to be more specific because im no following how that would be a factor at all.

Its never a factor for me when choosing a phone. Ill be able to find what i need.

http://www.swivl.com/solutions/

At the time, I wanted to record myself teaching in the classroom, and swivl was compatible only with the iPhone (well, technically, any device with a camera sporting a 30-pin port).

It seems that there are quite a number of niche devices which are designed primarily for iOS devices, and which won't be compatible with Android (namely because of the lightning port).

But I agree that it likely won't affect my choice of smartphone, because I only thought of wanting to record myself long after I got my 4s. It's more of a added bonus.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Fragmentation may not be an issue if Google limits the feature to only those devices running on 'L'. If they allow all devices, then I see issues.

I think you'd still have issues if you did that. Not all android phones will get L, especially not at the same time. So a system image backup is only for devices with L? That wouldn't sit well especially since other than nexus devices other oems don't get day 1 updates

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I think you'd still have issues if you did that. Not all android phones will get L, especially not at the same time. So a system image backup is only for devices with L? That wouldn't sit well especially since other than nexus devices other oems don't get day 1 updates
Nexus, GPe, Silver, One and Motorola Moto series usually (or in the case of Silver and One devices) get updates within days to a couple of weeks of release. US and Canadian carriers are the ones that tend to screw over the Android releases these days for OEM phones.

This is why people say to get nexus, GPe or unlocked devices if you are concerned about getting updates to the OS.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Although I agree that backup is an omission to some extent, how often is it needed and what for? TBH, If my phone bricks (none have so far) it would be a slight pain but nothing more to reinstall apps, as far as I can see texts would be lost but that doesn't bother me, photos are kept in the cloud anyway, music and media the same and on external card, documents are on Drop Box, contacts, calendars, e mails etc, etc. are not lost Is it just the set up of the phone? What am I missing that is so important that it needs automatic backups?

I'm under the impression that it is mostly for people like us that frequent these boards that it is an issue rather than "a huge sore spot in the Android user base," real world users don't bother that much.

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Although I agree that backup is an omission to some extent, how often is it needed and what for? TBH, If my phone bricks (none have so far) it would be a slight pain but nothing more to reinstall apps, as far as I can see texts would be lost but that doesn't bother me, photos are kept in the cloud anyway, music and media the same and on external card, documents are on Drop Box, contacts, calendars, e mails etc, etc. are not lost Is it just the set up of the phone? What am I missing that is so important that it needs automatic backups?

I'm under the impression that it is mostly for people like us that frequent these boards that it is an issue rather than "a huge sore spot in the Android user base," real world users don't bother that much.

Contacts, calendar, photos, data, etc don't bother me either. They all live in at least one other place and are easy to reconnect to on a new phone.

For me, the big thing that is missing is the restoring of apps, home screen shortcuts, and settings. I consider it quite a big inconvenience to have to do all this manually with a new phone.

I know play store can offer to download your old apps, but in my experience it does not keep a record of the state of specific devices (which would allow you to choose which device to restore from), it just keeps a record of all the apps you have installed in the past on any device including the apps you no longer use.

I think non-techie users are wowed by iOS (and OS X via Time Machine) restore capabilities. Maybe not those who have not yet experienced it, but once they have people seem to be hugely impressed by it and it becomes a real draw of staying on iOS and OS X.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Contacts, calendar, photos, data, etc don't bother me either. They all live in at least one other place and are easy to reconnect to on a new phone.

For me, the big thing that is missing is the restoring of apps, home screen shortcuts, and settings. I consider it quite a big inconvenience to have to do all this with a new phone.

I know play store can offer to download your old apps, but in my experience it does not keep a record of the state of specific devices (which would allow you to choose which device to restore from), it just keeps a record of all the apps you have installed in the past on any device.

I think non-techie users are wowed by iOS (and OS X via Time Machine) restore capabilities. Maybe not those who have not yet experienced it, but once they have people seem to be hugely impressed by it and it becomes a real draw of staying on iOS and OS X.

Yes, I appreciate your answer and do agree it is a pain, (apps, shortcuts and settings) but TBH, thats it, an inconvenience at worst and then it only needs to be done on a full failure of phone or a new upgrade. I may be underplaying this because I don't have a shed load of apps that I use but I still think for those not from boards like these that it is a low priority. :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

For me, the big thing that is missing is the restoring of apps, home screen shortcuts, and settings. I consider it quite a big inconvenience to have to do all this manually with a new phone.

I know play store can offer to download your old apps, but in my experience it does not keep a record of the state of specific devices (which would allow you to choose which device to restore from), it just keeps a record of all the apps you have installed in the past on any device including the apps you no longer use.

Yeah I get that too. Agreed

Backup pro is what I use in Android which is the closest

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

The only thing that ever gets lost when transferring to a new Android phone is screen layout and app data. Everything else including texts, wallpaper, Calander, notes, Internet bookmarks and log in details, call logs, contacts, photos etc are persevered. I use a micro SD card so I can just pop that into the next phone and once my apps have re-downloaded I'm good to go.

Last edited:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
The only thing that ever gets lost when transferring to a new Android phone is screen layout and app data. Everything else including texts, wallpaper, Calander, notes, Internet bookmarks and log in details, call logs, contacts, photos etc are persevered. I use a micro SD card so I can just pop that into the next phone and once my apps have re-downloaded I'm good to go.

Use Nova Launcher and built-in backup. New phone and you got your old layout back in no time :)

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Use Nova Launcher and built-in backup. New phone and you got your old layout back in no time :)

I agree, my point being though fellas is that really, the only time a backup will be needed is a catastrophic phone malfunction or when a new phone is purchased, both of which are hardly weekly events, its nice to have,
but as a feature, IMHO, overblown, TBH, I would rather have a waterproof phone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I agree, my point being though fellas is that really, the only time a backup will be needed is a catastrophic phone malfunction or when a new phone is purchased, both of which are hardly weekly events, its nice to have,
but as a feature, IMHO, overblown, TBH, I would rather have a waterproof phone.
Having a complete system backup is nice to have but......it is not hard to reinstall apps. Pictures are synced on Dropbox. Contacts and calendar are on Google......Email Google and Hotmail synced through the cloud. The only benefit of a backup of apps would be the time saving and in app data.
I switch phones a lot and re-installing apps is fairly easy. All other data is being synced through some kind of cloud services.......
I would rather have a more durable and waterproof phone as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.