Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Is the fact that the revision B will solve all or most of the original's problems. I have a feeling the next version of the iMac G5 will have to following features:

- 8X Superdrive
- FW 800
- base 512 MB RAM
- 128 MB graphics card

Am I worrying over nothing or do you think Apple will add all these when it updates the iMac next Feb/March?

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
I really don't think they will update them for 9 or 10 months...If you need it now. buy it now. People who wait for something better never ends up happy anyways. Techology always advances and after the Rev. B comes out people will ask when the rev. C will be out with 512 graphics cards, and dual g5 dual-cores....if it's what you need buy it.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
dferigmu said:
Is the fact that the revision B will solve all or most of the original's problems. I have a feeling the next version of the iMac G5 will have to following features:

- 8X Superdrive
- FW 800
- base 512 MB RAM
- 128 MB graphics card

Am I worrying over nothing or do you think Apple will add all these when it updates the iMac next Feb/March?
I think that they will add the 8x SuperDrive for sure. I think the 128 MB video card may be offered as a BTO. I would like to see them offer 512 MB standard, but suspect it will only be available on the high-end model if at all. The FW 800 I think will remain a "pro" feature for a while longer unfortunately.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
dferigmu said:
- 8X Superdrive
- FW 800
- base 512 MB RAM
- 128 MB graphics card

I don't think you'll see all of these upgrades in one rev, although it sure would make the iMac more attractive to a lot of people. Most folks complain about two things, GPU and RAM. Hopefully, Apple is listening and these will be upgraded with rev b (or at least there will be a BTO on the GPU).

Wouldn't they put the 8X slot Superdrive in the PowerBook first?

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
powermac666 said:
I don't think you'll see all of these upgrades in one rev, although it sure would make the iMac more attractive to a lot of people. Most folks complain about two things, GPU and RAM. Hopefully, Apple is listening and these will be upgraded with rev b (or at least there will be a BTO on the GPU).

I never understood why people complained about the RAM. If you want more, buy more. If you don't have the money, wait until you do then buy more. I think the current price of the iMac is very competitive.

But the GPU is a problem. Rev B. better have a BTO option for a 128MB.

lasuther

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It might be a long while before the new ones come out...its a tough call, that's for sure, but if you need a new computer you have to determine if you can wait months, possible 9 months before you get the Rev B. iMac - which may or may not have all the things you want :D

D

AirWave

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2003
dferigmu said:

Here's a thought....

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this anywhere before, but lets imagine that you buy a 20" G5 iMac now and when the next revision comes out, then you basically have to throw away a perfectly good 20" screen to to upgrade to a better computer (well it's always been that way with an iMac).

Now, Apple has made the new G5 iMac VERY servicable by the end user. Everything can easily be exchanged.

How about this idea : when the next revision comes out you will be able to buy a new motherboard for the G5 iMac (perhabs with a better graphics chip), exchange it yourself and return the old motherboard, possibly saving you a lot of money....because WHO in their right mind would throw away a perfectly good 20" screen ?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
AirWave said:
How about this idea : when the next revision comes out you will be able to buy a new motherboard for the G5 iMac (perhabs with a better graphics chip), exchange it yourself and return the old motherboard, possibly saving you a lot of money....because WHO in their right mind would throw away a perfectly good 20" screen ?

You realize that Apple would never offer this option, right?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Abstract said:
You realize that Apple would never offer this option, right?

Exactly...unless there is a fundamental shift in Apple's way of doing business, that won't happen. You could only look forward to something going wrong with the mobo and have it returned for a fix and get a free upgrade....not something you want to bank on :D

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
- 8X Superdrive - Absolutly, 16x should be in the PowerMac by then.
- FW 800 - Hmmm....not sure, doubt it.
- base 512 MB RAM - We're talking about Apple right? Not a chance!
- 128 MB graphics card - This will probably be a BTO.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
AirWave said:
Here's a thought....

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this anywhere before, but lets imagine that you buy a 20" G5 iMac now and when the next revision comes out, then you basically have to throw away a perfectly good 20" screen to to upgrade to a better computer (well it's always been that way with an iMac).

Now, Apple has made the new G5 iMac VERY servicable by the end user. Everything can easily be exchanged.

Who throws there computer away? you can just sell it.

okay okay, i know what you mean you have to pay for a new screen each time...but honestly that is waht happens with all-in-one and steve is stuck on it (i personally find allinones better)

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I personally would hope to see Airport and Bluetooth built-in & 8X superdrive as standard, with a higher spec graphics card as a BTO. I also would like to see 512MB RAM as standard but accept its unlikely.

In the case of RAM, yes its easy enough to buy some more and get it installed but for a lot of people in the market for iMac's that's a hassle too far.

Unless I'm wrong here, the ethos of the iMac is surely to buy it, plug it in and away you go into OS X and iLife heaven, taking the worry out of your computing experience, letting you concentrate on what you want to do rather than concerning yourself with the computer itself. People who would otherwise steer well clear of computers or who tentatively tap away at windows boxes are perfect prospects for the iMac.

Yet what do we ask these nervous newbies to do? Buy something called RAM, take the back off your shiny new machine, make sure you have static protection, slot in the new RAM, put the back of the machine back on and away you go. Oh and by the way if you want to enjoy that wireless broadband thingy make sure you ask for an Airport card and while your at it don't forget bluetooth so you can enjoy wire free connections to your keyboard and mouse.....

It just seems such a shame that Apple make the Airport card & bluetooth BTO's and pre-load the iMace with what is patently not enough RAM to provide the experience we would hope to receive.

Instead of being able to go down the shops, by an iMac, go home and enjoy a great experience, you are forcing onto a target market of people lulled into a belief that Mac's are plug'n'play nirvana into having to actually understand and interact with the hardware, which surely is not the point of the Mac experience?

Well, just my two pennies worth....
Vanilla
PS: My comments are specifically aimed at the iMac and frankly iBook market, ie the consumer market.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i don't think FW 800 will happen. that's still not a very consumer need...

512 MB RAM... i'd think they'd just keep the same amount of RAM but lower the price -> you can use the money to buy your own RAM.

faster SD - probably.

by the way, i don't think it's a good idea to include airport extreme as a standard. it's a desktop, afterall, and i don't think we've reached a point where wireless is something expected on a desktop. a lot of people would feel ripped off that they "paid" for the airport extreme when they don't have the need.

same deal for BT. it's just not widespread enough to make it a standard.

it just sound like wanting more and more for the same or lesser price. which is fine, but doesn't really make sense from the business point of view, i think.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Mr. Anderson said:
It might be a long while before the new ones come out...its a tough call, that's for sure, but if you need a new computer you have to determine if you can wait months, possible 9 months before you get the Rev B. iMac - which may or may not have all the things you want :D

D

Well, I don't absolutely NEED a new Mac right now, but it would be really, REALLY nice. I don't have any computer to call my own and to store my songs and pictures on. Plus, all the other computers in my house are PCs, well expect for an old G3.

Why do you think Apple will only update in 9 months? Usually Macs last for about 6 months.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
dferigmu said:
Well, I don't absolutely NEED a new Mac right now, but it would be really, REALLY nice. I don't have any computer to call my own and to store my songs and pictures on. Plus, all the other computers in my house are PCs, well expect for an old G3.

Why do you think Apple will only update in 9 months? Usually Macs last for about 6 months.
But it sounds like you REALLY want it. If your currently using a G3 then will you really notice that you don't have an 8x superdrive or a 128mb graphics card.

Yeah it would be nice but it sounds like even if they had it for the current iMac, you wouldn't use it much. But I don't know your uses for it, thats just what I get from reading your post. :p

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Next revision:

Bottom end will get the 1.8, top end will get the 2.0
Graphics card will be the same, with a 128MB as a BTO
No FW800 (Not too many people use it, AFAIK...good poll!)
Same 256MB base RAM.
No built in Airport or Bluetooth, as most desktops don't need it.
8x Superdrive, which will also be offered in the PowerBooks

There, I have said it. That is what I predict.

And I hope that Bluetooth becomes standard, built in, because it is so neat...but not Airport Extreme. AP Extreme is just too unnecessary for most computers, but Bluetooth is not. Or at least, make Bluetooth something that the user can install on the inside, like Airport is.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
revisions

Personally, I'm going to buy an iMac as soon as I can afford it, but just out of curiosity, how long was it between revision on the G4 iMac? I'm thinking it'll be when I graduate from college in May (and maybe have a job) that I'll be able to get it. Will they be at least slightly updated by then?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
So, when can we expect to see a new iMac upgrade?

From the buyers guide Apple seem to upgrade ~7months (given the iMac should have come out in June)....so if June was it that would make the new rev for January 05, else March 05 based on the actual release date.

I hope its January 05 or not much longer because I want to switch my parents but I know they will keep this 5+ years and so it needs a 128 Meg Graphics card...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
dferigmu said:

- 8X Superdrive
- FW 800
- base 512 MB RAM
- 128 MB graphics card

I don't understand this logic although many post it. If you need it/want it, buy it. When a Rev. B finally comes out, people will post, I'll wait until the Rev. C because by then Apple will put a better video card, flux capacitor and faster SD in it.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
rdowns said:
I don't understand this logic although many post it. If you need it/want it, buy it. When a Rev. B finally comes out, people will post, I'll wait until the Rev. C because by then Apple will put a better video card, flux capacitor and faster SD in it.

Yeah!
And an upgraded sonic resonator, please!

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Rev. B

I'm waiting on Rev B. When I bought my first iMac I was caught out as it was the end of that line. After a few years though I am a little more Apple savvy. I hop that the GPU thing is addressed and that there is at least a BTO option for a slightly better card. What I am really hoping for though is a bump to an even 2ghz processor speed. 2Ghz, 2Gig Ram and 20" screen is the one I want. Everything else already exceeded expectations, I thought the sunflower would be around for a while longer. Hmmm, what to do until March or April of next year, it seems like an eternity.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Dr. Dastardly said:
But it sounds like you REALLY want it. If your currently using a G3 then will you really notice that you don't have an 8x superdrive or a 128mb graphics card.

Yeah it would be nice but it sounds like even if they had it for the current iMac, you wouldn't use it much. But I don't know your uses for it, thats just what I get from reading your post. :p

These are the programs I would be using: IE, Safari, iLife, MS Office, Dreamweaver MX, Photoshop, and the occasional game. I think I'm just acting obsessive here. The truth is, I really want a new Mac to do that stuff.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
wdlove said:
I totally agree. Sadly I have got myself into that cycle also.

I have to and you know why? I bought an iMac G3 only months before the iMac G4 came out and ever since then, I have gotten to be very careful about what I buy and when.

isaacc7

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2004
lasuther said:
I never understood why people complained about the RAM. If you want more, buy more. If you don't have the money, wait until you do then buy more. I think the current price of the iMac is very competitive.

But the GPU is a problem. Rev B. better have a BTO option for a 128MB.

lasuther

Another thing to keep in mind is that other retailers are throwing in more RAM. Mac Mall does this all the time. If you look beyond the Apple store, you might find some better deals...

Isaac

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
dferigmu said:
- 8X Superdrive
- FW 800
- base 512 MB RAM
- 128 MB graphics card

I don't think it will be that soon, but who knows.

- Probably
- Probably not
- Probably on the high end
- One can only hope (they do occasionally listen to their customers)

If anyone is worried about speed though, I got the chance to play with a new 1.6 GHz iMac with 256MB at CompUSA. For some reason, it seemed a lot faster than the 1.8 with 512 I played with at the Apple Store. Wonder how long it had been without a reboot. Stick a couple of gigs of RAM in there, it will scream for most apps, grfx card notwithstanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.