Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
And it had Breakout game!

Breakout-iPod.jpeg

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Back in the day, I loved my original iPod. There's really not anything more to say. Moving along.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Always thought the dude in that commercial looked like Donald Fagen. And Moby looked like Opie.

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden
I couldn't shake my head like that with the original headphones without them popping out. But I do still remember me going to out local reseller and gazing over it. Didn't buy one until 4th gen. though

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I had the HP-branded iPod, which I think would have been the 4th generation. It was the last model to have the monochrome screen. I bought the iPod video and sold the HP iPod. I still have the iPod video packed away somewhere.

I didn't care for the previous iPods or any digital music player for that matter. The capacity was too small for me to want one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I replaced the battery in mine a number of years ago, other than that it's still working perfectly. Beautiful device.

1stGeniPod.jpg

It goes to show you how well Apple devices are made and last over time. Sure, you pay a premium, but the craftsmanship, quality and customer service keep me committed for life.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
all these apple execs were so you g and fit. I'm inspired to hit the gym.

Great piece of history. Imagine how ancient the iPhone 7 will appear in 15 years time.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Those old iPods were supercool. I loved traveling with mine, and I remember traveling to the US back in 2005 when I had a Eureka moment of how I could build a website based on the iPod's Notes feature. So I built the website and started a business based on the back of it.

You can see the old website in the Wayback Machine here: https://web.archive.org/web/20060613094525/http://www.expodition.com/

Shame that when the iPhone and iPod touch launched, business started to dry up. But hey - it was a fun while it lasted!

RTP.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I thought the iPod would never catch on because you couldn't record onto it.

Minidisc was here to stay.

How wrong I was.
I still have my original 5 GB iPod, and it still works. I also still have two functioning Minidisc players from the mid-1990s, and use them more often than one might think, primarily because they can record.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Where are the replacements?

Where is the SSD iPod?

I've heard from 4 people in the past 6 months who's classic units have failed (bad disk drives). I know there's CF adapter kits out there for them and that's what we're looking into. However, in all four cases, everyone has literally said "I have money, what's the best replacement that Apple offers?" and I have no answers. iOS and the Music app is a ****ing mess. It's impossible to compare a full fledged handheld computer to the simplicity of the iPod.

They've still got the Nano, but it's at 16GB, and seems to be intentionally kneecapped to drive the sales of the other handhelds. At the same time, I can't imagine them coming out with another 160+GB unit because they want people to be using Apple Music instead. It's kinda sad this is what has become of the company who once made a product like the iPod that literally anyone could pick up and use.

-SC

calabi-yau

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
Looking at old reviews, this one really blew me away:

Any way to see the full article? The "read more" link craps out for me on Web Archive, and I can't find mirrors of the article by Googling snippets of what's there. I'd be really interested to hear this dude's thinking back in 2001.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
In one fell swoop, the iPod totally changed the world of music. It even changed automobiles--many cars nowadays now sport iPod/iPhone connectivity through the USB port in lieu of a Compact Disc player. I still wished Apple would produce a 32 GB iPod nano--I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

When I first bought an iPod nano (the 4 GB blue case) in 2007, I should have bought the iPod Classic 5.5G with the 30 GB hard drive for $50 more--I probably would still have that model even now, even though I would have to eventually replace the battery.

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
I've still got mine - and it still works. I loved it. It was great until some record companies started to introduce copy protection on their CD's so they couldn't be ripped by iTunes. I remember trying to rip the Phil Collins 'Testify' album onto my iPod, and iTunes wouldn't import it. - It was kind of ironic, seeing as they featured someone listening to one of the songs on an iPod in one of the music videos (which of course couldn't be done, unless you'd somehow managed to break the copy protection!)

The iPod's about 1 min into the song if you don't want to watch the whole thing..

NovapaX

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Dordrecht, Netherlands
I remember the iPod, but bought an iRiver iHP-100 in 2003 (was 16 years old back then)
That was an awesome MP3-player for PC owners (i made the switch to mac around 2008 when iPhone was introduced here in Holland).
Its technical features are amazing. Supported all formats (except songs with DRM, including lossless) had optical line in and optical line out, awesome remote and great audio quality.
iriver_ihp100-4.jpeg

It still worked a couple of months ago, but I may have disposed of it a month ago, don't remember. It was completely beaten up and the battery was empty within 5 minutes. It still held the songs I listened to... oh the memories.

I also have a later iPod classic (2007/2008 i guess, don't really remember), still standing firm on its 30-pin connector in my dock at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.