Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Hardware specs do sell to an extent, but you need to realise that iOS doesn't need the same resources as Android.

The iPhone 5 has a dual core 1GHz processor with 1GB of ram and a battery half the size of the latest Android phones, yet it's still just as fast, can run the latest games and has better battery life than most other phones.

I say what's the point in putting excessively overpowered hardware when it doesn't currently need it? The iPhone 5 is unlikely to be pushed by software for a couple of years at least.

And NFC is definitely not needed. Had it, used it on Android in conjunction with NFC tags but don't need to toggle settings to save battery in iOS. And it's not supported for payments here yet, so there's really no use for it.

Nothing wrong with being a realist :)

Yet it's running at a resolution lower than 720P and has a screen size of only 4". It's OS doesn't take advantage of newer hardware. The phone is closed off for developers and users unless they have a jailbreak.

The iPhone 5 should have better hardware with software that is pushing forward. iOS 6 was a step backward for Apple. It brought more problems than solutions.

Apple has always been about creativity and making every other device simply just a device. But recently Apple has been neglecting its OS. They've been making incremental changes to their OS just like RIM was going before they fell.

I love Apple, I have a Macbook Pro, a jail broken iPad 3, and a jail broken Apple TV 2. I use to have an iPhone 5 but gave it up for a Galaxy Note 2 because it seemed unlikely that there was going to be a jailbreak for the iPhone 5. When I first got my iPhone 4, it truly felt like it was ahead of the competition. There were so many reasons why someone should choose an iPhone over an android phone.

Honestly Apple should have released the iPhone 5 with iOS 5. Right now they don't have the momentum that they use to have since Android phones have done more than just caught up. They need a new phone each year. Not a minor upgrade. If it requires them to have two separate types of phones then so be it.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I totally agree.

I work just outside of an apple store and I sell iphones as well as every other smartphone and MOST of our customers have problems setting their phone up, can't figure this or that out, have some form of malware , just some type of problem.

We never have many problems at all with our androids. A vast majority are iphone problems.

Most of your iPhone customers have some sort of malware?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I have not had a single issue with my bluetooth not connecting. Not a single time. As for Android having a better implementation, that much is apparent just in the fact that it isn't handicapped. Hey, send me that mp3 you were listening to earlier via bluetooth... Galaxy S3 Owner: Okay, it's on the way now. iPhone Owner: Well I can't send it straight to your phone, but if you give me your email address, I can email it to you.

I haven't shared a song via Bluetooth for about eight years so that means nothing to me.

Plus I'd just use Bump if the situation ever arose, because its faster, like I've said before :)

I'd rather have a Bluetooth implementation that works well with the features I use than the ones that I don't use.

----------

Yet it's running at a resolution lower than 720P and has a screen size of only 4". It's OS doesn't take advantage of newer hardware. The phone is closed off for developers and users unless they have a jailbreak.

The iPhone 5 should have better hardware with software that is pushing forward. iOS 6 was a step backward for Apple. It brought more problems than solutions.

Apple has always been about creativity and making every other device simply just a device. But recently Apple has been neglecting its OS. They've been making incremental changes to their OS just like RIM was going before they fell.

I love Apple, I have a Macbook Pro, a jail broken iPad 3, and a jail broken Apple TV 2. I use to have an iPhone 5 but gave it up for a Galaxy Note 2 because it seemed unlikely that there was going to be a jailbreak for the iPhone 5. When I first got my iPhone 4, it truly felt like it was ahead of the competition. There were so many reasons why someone should choose an iPhone over an android phone.

Honestly Apple should have released the iPhone 5 with iOS 5. Right now they don't have the momentum that they use to have since Android phones have done more than just caught up. They need a new phone each year. Not a minor upgrade. If it requires them to have two separate types of phones then so be it.

I don't care what the screen resolution is as long as it looks good, and the iphone 5s screen does look good.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Essentially, what people are asking for in this thread is for everyone to settle with "good enough."

And what "good enough" means specifically always seems to be precisely the calibration that Apple has set.

Anything more, and it's unnecessary. When Apple gets around to raising that calibration, whether it be with software or hardware, then "good enough" also gets raised along with it.

It's all a very happy coincidence.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Essentially, what people are asking for in this thread is for everyone to settle with "good enough."

And what "good enough" means specifically always seems to be precisely the calibration that Apple has set.

Anything more, and it's unnecessary. When Apple gets around to raising that calibration, whether it be with software or hardware, then "good enough" also gets raised along with it.

Just being realistic. Apple is always marketing how easy iOS is to use, by saying things like "It just works" over and over and over and over again. They're not going to jeopardise that by implementing things like a file system, which will confuse users.

There's plenty of things I'd like Apple to add, including the aforementioned file system. I just don't think they will and I think it's pointless to constantly criticise iOS for being simple/limited when that's the WHOLE IDEA. What do you gain from it?

It's like people that complain that Android is more complex when, again, that's the WHOLE IDEA. It's pointless.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

Here is a classic from another thread:
I have NEVER seen anyone use NFC in public so I doubt many people want this feature and it's not secure enough to give people confidence to use everywhere. Eventually Apple will come out with it when it's secure enough for people to use.

You can't make this chit up!

Michael

----------

It's like people that complain that Android is more complex when, again, that's the WHOLE IDEA. It's pointless.
That is just ridiculous.

Android can be used just the way it is by just about anyone. Before I got my Nexus most of the people I know with Android phones just used them with no help from anyone. They don't care one iota about rooting, custom roms, custom kernels, and the like. They mostly use Facebook, email, text, and play a few games. None of that is any harder on Android than on iOS.

The difference with Android is that you get a choice. You can keep it simple, or go all out with it.

Apple doesn't give you that choice.

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's amazing that people are not only defending, but arguing against this.

Apple has the Genius Bar, classes, call center, online videos; the market is also maturing, people are becoming more tech-savvy...

And Apple -- the apparently most innovative tech company in the world that makes the most advance operating systems -- cannot (and actually shouldn't) come up with any way to implement dynamic new features in a concise, simple, streamlined matter?

TouchWiz has reached millions of people. It offers (and dare I say copies) some of the simpler things from iOS, but also provides a deeper system. People seem fine with it. And Samsung doesn't even offer stores/Genius bars on the scale that Apple does.

Really, these fears are non-issues. Instead of genuine concerns, they reek as excuses.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
That is just ridiculous.

Android can be used just the way it is by just about anyone. Before I got my Nexus most of the people I know with Android phones just used them with no help from anyone. They don't care one iota about rooting, custom roms, custom kernels, and the like. They mostly use Facebook, email, text, and play a few games. None of that is any harder on Android than on iOS.

The difference with Android is that you get a choice. You can keep it simple, or go all out with it.

Apple doesn't give you that choice.

Michael

I was a guide on one of the most popular Android forums, if not the most popular. There are a LOT of people that don't know how to use Android as-is, trust me.

Things like the filesystem add a level of complexity for non-techies. "Ohh where did I save that file again? :(" etc...

Even at the most basic level Android can be more complex. Apps are not limited to what they can do in the background, so I often used to help users try to figure out which wakelocks were causing their battery drain.

There was also a number of questions about how to get things back that they had dragged off the screen.

I don't think you appreciate how little some people actually know.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's amazing that people are not only defending, but arguing against this.

Apple has the Genius Bar, classes, call center, online videos; the market is also maturing, people are becoming more tech-savvy...

And Apple -- the apparently most innovative tech company in the world that makes the most advance operating systems -- cannot (and actually shouldn't) come up with any way to implement dynamic new features in a concise, simple, streamlined matter?

TouchWiz has reached millions of people. It offers (and dare I say copies) some of the simpler things from iOS, but also provides a deeper system. People seem fine with it. And Samsung doesn't even offer stores/Genius bars on the scale that Apple does.

Really, these fears are non-issues. Instead of genuine concerns, they reek as excuses.

Nah lots of people aren't fine with it. It doesn't help when Samsung adds a task manager even though it can be detrimental to kill tasks on Android. Then people ask why their phone is playing up when they continually kill tasks they shouldn't be killing.

As previously stated, my mum forgets how to get into the app drawer on her HTC Desire all the time. :p

You and I don't have any problem using Android. We remember where files are saved, but a lot of people don't.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I was a guide on one of the most popular Android forums, if not the most popular. There are a LOT of people that don't know how to use Android as-is, trust me.

Things like the filesystem add a level of complexity for non-techies. "Ohh where did I save that file again? :(" etc...

Even at the most basic level Android can be more complex. Apps are not limited to what they can do in the background, so I often used to help users try to figure out which wakelocks were causing their battery drain.

There was also a number of questions about how to get things back that they had dragged off the screen.

I don't think you appreciate how little some people actually know.
You could have stopped right at that first sentence.

If you are talking about people who are going to web forums they are already beyond the average user. They might be in over their head, but no more so than the equivalent iOS user. I am constantly getting bombarded with help request from iOS users like that. "How do I add emoticons like you have?" "How did you get battery percentage to show like that?" "Can you help me with this iCloud thing? I'm lost." iOS is far from easy or intuitive once you get beyond the basic of basics.

Back to my point: You don't need to know about, use, or care about a file system when you are checking email/facebook and playing Angry Birds. My point stands.

Mike

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You could have stopped right at that first sentence.

If you are talking about people who are going to web forums they are already beyond the average user. They might be in over their head, but no more so than the equivalent iOS user. I am constantly getting bombarded with help request from iOS users like that. "How do I add emoticons like you have?" "How did you get battery percentage to show like that?" "Can you help me with this iCloud thing? I'm lost." iOS is far from easy or intuitive once you get beyond the basic of basics.

Back to my point: You don't need to know about, use, or care about a file system when you are checking email/facebook and playing Angry Birds. My point stands.

Mike

Not really. A lot of people know how to use a search engine. If they have a problem with their phone they might try searching for a solution on Google and coming across the message board.

Not every user only needs those things though, do they? What if their friend sends them something by email as an attachment and they save it, then want to access it later? They would have to find that.

You can't say that people are only ever going to be restricted to those tasks. Sometimes they will want to use other parts of the device.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Nah lots of people aren't fine with it. It doesn't help when Samsung adds a task manager even though it can be detrimental to kill tasks on Android. Then people ask why their phone is playing up when they continually kill tasks they shouldn't be killing.

As previously stated, my mum forgets how to get into the app drawer on her HTC Desire all the time. :p

You and I don't have any problem using Android. We remember where files are saved, but a lot of people don't.

You've decided to zone in on a particular feature that is difficult to implement. File management is no easy task, I agree.

But that's no excuse for many of the other features that are missing from iOS. You also point to one example where someone really doesn't know how to use a smartphone. Fair, but that's again, hardly the reason why features should be missing. As others have said in this thread... the option to be able to use it counts for something. Those who know how to use it, will use it. Those who don't know (or don't need it) won't. Everyone is happy. You are arguing against this.

And again... that is the challenge that Apple and its designers/programmers face (whom are the best in the world, so says Apple). How to make these tasks streamlined.

Asking for a solution is better than pretending no one wants it, or that it'll have some catastrophic consequence if Apple implements them.

The fine tuning of what constitutes "good enough" for iOS is remarkable in itself, and remarkably linked to Apple's decisions. I say again, what an amazing and happy coincidence.

----------

Mattye, you're defending tooth and nail for Apple not to do some of the things being asked for.

Try to pretend that Android didn't exist. Even without Android offering these additional features, we should all still be encouraging Apple to add features, and criticizing them for not.

It's gotten to a point where it's not really even an Android vs. iOS debate. This is an "I'd like to be able to do X on iOS, but can't" conversation.

I cannot stress this enough: we are on Apple's side.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
The iphone doesnt need high end specs cause its running ios. Try running android on an iphone. I'd like to see how fluid and energy efficient it is then.

And btw I find android much easier to use than ios. I find it more intuitive and everything logical. I tried sending a picture with my friends iphone and was struggling quite a bit. Then I ended up using the mail up to send as it was the only was the only method I could find to send a picture. Its just so unintuitive. There is a common misconception that you need to hack your phone if you are running android. Well all high end android devices work great out of the box. The only thing I would personally do is get AOSP on it as soon as possible. That is just my personal preference.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Android allows access to the file system. Out of the box it's similar to IOS. If you choose to you can download a file manager app from the App Store.

All downloaded files goto "downloads" which is a single folder app essentially. Unlikely even the most novice user will not be able to find something.

Regardless if you are that big of a novice you'll just use Android like iOS. IMO it's silly if any user can't handle a file manager, iOS is the only OS on any platform that doesn't offer that. Lol

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
And btw I find android much easier to use than ios. I find it more intuitive and everything logical.

Me too.

Dedicated back button, dedicated menu buttons (in iOS... sometimes settings are in the app itself, sometimes it's in the iOS Settings list), far easier access to settings (WiFi, GPS, etc.), easier access to info, easier access to contacts and making phone calls (I love direct dial icons), infinitely better keyboard (with input method options)...

etc., etc.

----------

Android allows access to the file system. Out of the box it's similar to IOS. If you choose to you can download a file manager app from the App Store.

All downloaded files goto "downloads" which is a single folder app essentially. Unlikely even the most novice user will not be able to find something.

Regardless if you are that big of a novice you'll just use Android like iOS. IMO it's silly if any user can't handle a file manager, iOS is the only OS on any platform that doesn't offer that. Lol

No, I believe people would have trouble with file management.

But you already hit the nail on the head why that shouldn't be a deterrent to implement it. Those who don't know (or don't want to) use files, don't have to. While those that do, can.

It's so simple a concept.

And again, Mattye has honed in on one particularly agreeable difficult feature to implement. File systems can suck and be confusing (though Android offers very many apps that have easy to use interfaces, but I digress...). Still, some of the other more simpler and rewarding features have little reason not to be implemented.

All these fears and concerns are non-issues. They don't sound like reasons at all; instead sound like excuses.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Hey!

Isn't this an Apple site? Where Mac people come to discuss apple stuff? Why is everyone so negative against iOS?

This thread looks quite biased.

There are plenty of people out there who use and love iOS. I am one of them. For all my proposes, it just works. I'm not an old person, either. I'm a gamer, and I like iOS for the incredibly huge selection of apps. I like the way that I can install anything I find in the App Store, and know for certain that it will not be malware, will not crash my device, but it probably will be something good. Apple receives a lot of criticism for their control over the App Store, but I think it greatly improves the user experience. :):apple:

With android, it is not so. There is a whole lot of malware available to android. There are multiple sources from which apps can be downloaded, and you never know what works and what doesn't.

Sorry in advance.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Hey!

Isn't this an Apple site? Where Mac people come to discuss apple stuff? Why is everyone so negative against iOS?

This thread looks quite biased.

There are plenty of people out there who use and love iOS. I am one of them. For all my proposes, it just works. I'm not an old person, either. I'm a gamer, and I like iOS for the incredibly huge selection of apps. I like the way that I can install anything I find in the App Store, and know for certain that it will not be malware, will not crash my device, but it probably will be something good. Apple receives a lot of criticism for their control over the App Store, but I think it greatly improves the user experience. :):apple:

With android, it is not so. There is a whole lot of malware available to android. There are multiple sources from which apps can be downloaded, and you never know what works and what doesn't.

Sorry in advance.

Where is that Capt Picard photo when you get need it?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

If a file system is too complicated for the average iOS user to understand then I don't see what new features can Apple introduce in the future............

This is just ridiculous.

Any new feature apart from a file system would be too complicated for the iOS user... It's amazing how Apple fans assume iOS users and stupid...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.