Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

I'm looking at buying a PM G5 quad. I know there are new mac pros coming out, but given the amount of extra hardware I have with drives specific to PPC mac os, it's not in my best interest to buy an intel mac so please don't flame me for that.

my question is: will i be able to maximize the power of a quad with let's say 4 GB ram when using the following apps:

fcp
dvdsp
livetype
i don't use motion yet, but thinking about it now ;)
and bitvice (mpeg2 encoder - the software company says i can almost get a real time ratio when converting video into mpeg2...meaning 1 hour of video might only take 1 hour)...far greater than my 6 or 7 hours on my g5 dually 2.0.

any thoughts? I could be a dual core 2.0 G5 for less money, but i have a feeling i would see significant reduction in processing power.

Cheers,
keebler

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Upgrade Your FCP 4/4.5 To 5.1UB For $199 Deadline Is Monday March 19

You don't say what version of FCS you have. If it's only 5.0 PPC, you need to upgrade to 5.1UB for only $49. If it's just the PPC FCP 5.0 the upgrade to 5.1UB Studio is only $99. any piece of what you mention in your opening post for PPC can go to FCS 5.1UB for only $199.

As this is the final week, I am making sure anyone with FCP 4/4.5 or any part of the PPC FCS 5 knows the upgarde to FCS 5.1UB is only $199 (this is a link to the offer page).

Postmark Deadline is March 19. Please don't miss it.

5.1UB is not only for Intel Macs. It is also a huge improvement for PPC Macs including the Quad G5 which is my main Mac until the 8 core ships. So DO NOT MISS THIS DEADLINE. You will regret not upgrading now when you find out you can't upgrade to FCP6UB for very little more when it's announced April 15 at NAB.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Refurb 2.5GHz G5 & 2.66GHz Woodcrest Quads Are Back Up

Trouble is the old 2.5GHz Quad G5 cost more than a new 2.66GHz Quad Woodcrest Mac Pro. I'm not sure what incompatability you think you have with files created on PPC Macs because there are none. You'e much better off getting a 2.66GHz Mac Pro for only $2199 than the Quad G5 for $2699.

Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory
Learn More
Price: $2,199.00
Estimated Ship:
1-3 business days

Better graphics with more RAM for $500 less shipping faster

Refurbished Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz
Two dual-core 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processors
1.25GHz frontside bus per processor
1MB L2 cache per core
512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB GDDR SDRAM
Learn More
Price: $2,699.00
Estimated Ship:
5-7 business days

I think you should wait to see what the next Mac Pros will bring to the table.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Trouble is the old 2.5GHz Quad G5 cost more than a new 2.66GHz Quad Woodcrest Mac Pro. I'm not sure what incompatability you think you have with files created on PPC Macs because there are none. You'e much better off getting a 2.66GHz Mac Pro for only $2199 than the Quad G5 for $2699.

Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory
Learn More
Price: $2,199.00
Estimated Ship:
1-3 business days

Better graphics with more RAM for $500 less shipping faster

Refurbished Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz
Two dual-core 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processors
1.25GHz frontside bus per processor
1MB L2 cache per core
512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB GDDR SDRAM
Learn More
Price: $2,699.00
Estimated Ship:
5-7 business days

I think you should wait to see what the next Mac Pros will bring to the table.

thanks for the heads up on the 5.1ub multi.

the quad i'm looking at has 4 GB or ram, 2.5 years of applecare left and the fact it will hopefully be a private sale, without taxes, it's actually more cost effective than the new mac pros. it's a tough decision, but i know a quad will last me a long time.

i wasn't concerned about the files being produced - i'm more concerned about some third party hardware and software being compatible with the UB. I've invested a small amount of a $ into the 3rd party stuff so i'm wary of having to spend more if they don't have free upgrades or if it's not compatible. this is partly my lack of knowledge in understanding if the drivers/software need to be compatible with the operating system or the chipset.

thanks for your feedback. i always appreciate your posts as you obviously have a wealth of experience and common sense.

Cheers,
keebler

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Keebler, if you could be more specific about exactly what hardware you have concerns with we might be able to advise you better. I'm hard-pressed, however, to think of any reason for getting a PM Quad over a Mac Pro at this point, especially considering they can cost just as much or more.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
thanks for the heads up on the 5.1ub multi.

the quad i'm looking at has 4 GB or ram, 2.5 years of applecare left and the fact it will hopefully be a private sale, without taxes, it's actually more cost effective than the new mac pros. it's a tough decision, but i know a quad will last me a long time.

i wasn't concerned about the files being produced - i'm more concerned about some third party hardware and software being compatible with the UB. I've invested a small amount of a $ into the 3rd party stuff so i'm wary of having to spend more if they don't have free upgrades or if it's not compatible. this is partly my lack of knowledge in understanding if the drivers/software need to be compatible with the operating system or the chipset.

thanks for your feedback. i always appreciate your posts as you obviously have a wealth of experience and common sense.

Cheers,
keebler

I think you need to explain yourself a little more so people can help you. What 3rd party software/hardware are you concerned with??

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I think you need to explain yourself a little more so people can help you. What 3rd party software/hardware are you concerned with??

hi kvan,

actually, this has turned more into a mac pro vs quad question than it originally turned out to be, hence the lack of info regarding the 3rd party stuff.

original question was how fast and powerful the quad would be for what i am doing.

that said, i'm looking into whether or not the following works with an intel mac:
1. canopus advc 300...it says req'ts are 10.2.7, but that was before intel macs so i'm posting a msg there.

2. bitvice - is NOT out yet for intel macs and i use that for encoding mpegs heavily - in fact, exclusively. They are working on a new version, but they have been for quite some time so i don't know when a proper version will be released. A mac pro is useless to me without this as i believe BV is the best software encoder out there....at least better than compressor or anything apple has to offer. I'm hoping a faster system than my G4 will increase my productivity and turnaround time by completing mpeg2s alot faster than the almost 10 hours it took to run a 1 hour 48 min file last night :( i do my best to ensure my clients have quality material so it's hard to break away from that . :(

3. i have a sonnet pci-x sata card. does it matter what type of system it's installed on? as long as it's a pci-x card, it should work?

4. various little software apps which are important to me - vidi tv is one; i can't remember the rest which is bad b/c i use them all the time :) lol

So, those are the reasons. :) I might be shutting myself out of possible future growth down the road, but for what am i doing (video and audio transfers), a quad will serve me well for years...well enough to pay for itself and save for a mac pro.

multimedia: do you create mpegs2 using software on your quads? Do you notice a massive speed difference?

I do appreciate all the feedback.

Cheers,
Keebler

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
You Need An 8 Core Mac Pro Not A Quad G5

This has turned more into a mac pro vs quad question than it originally turned out to be, hence the lack of info regarding the 3rd party stuff.

original question was how fast and powerful the quad would be for what i am doing.

that said, i'm looking into whether or not the following works with an intel mac:
1. canopus advc 300...it says req'ts are 10.2.7, but that was before intel macs so i'm posting a msg there.
Of course the Canopus hardware will work perfectly with a Mac Pro - any Mac in fact. Why aren't you phoning the technical support departments of each producer of hardware or publisher of software with these questions? Why ask us? I think you are crazy not to get the FCP 5.1UB upgrade and buy an 8 core Mac Pro. I think you are nuts man. Quad G5 is great but not as good as the Mac Pro. You are clinging to the past. I am 60 and I tell you you are crazy to buy a Quad G5 now.
2. bitvice - is NOT out yet for intel macs and i use that for encoding mpegs heavily - in fact, exclusively. They are working on a new version, but they have been for quite some time so i don't know when a proper version will be released.
And you have not called them for an update because?
A mac pro is useless to me without this as i believe BV is the best software encoder out there....at least better than compressor or anything apple has to offer. I'm hoping a faster system than my G4 will increase my productivity and turnaround time by completing mpeg2s alot faster than the almost 10 hours it took to run a 1 hour 48 min file last night :( i do my best to ensure my clients have quality material so it's hard to break away from that . :(
Fact is you need an 8 core Mac Pro to do this kind of work efficiently. I am buying the 8 core Mac Pro specifically to do this kind of compression work with Toast 8 which will use all 8 cores for mpeg2 compression to DVD Images.
3. i have a sonnet pci-x sata card. does it matter what type of system it's installed on? as long as it's a pci-x card, it should work?
No it won't. Quad G5 and Mac Pros are both PCIe NOT X. So you will LOSE use of this card with either choice.
4. various little software apps which are important to me - vidi tv is one; i can't remember the rest which is bad b/c i use them all the time :) lol
This is not a laughing matter. You are writing about dumping thousands of dollars down the drain because you are not calling each publisher of each little app you use and asking about Mac Pro compatability OR alternate applications that will do the same job better.
So, those are the reasons. :)
Those reasons BLOW. You are rationalizing your FEAR to advance. There is no logic to buying a Quad G5 now. It is an INSANE choice. You need to SNAP OUT OF IT and get with the FUTURE.
I might be shutting myself out of possible future growth down the road, but for what am i doing (video and audio transfers), a quad will serve me well for years...well enough to pay for itself and save for a mac pro.
No it WON'T. You are RATIONALIZING. ALL QUADS ARE TOO SLOW for what you are doing.
multimedia: do you create mpegs2 using software on your quads? Do you notice a massive speed difference?
Yeah. It's too fricking SLOW. You need an 8 core Mac Pro - not pokey Quad G5.
I do appreciate all the feedback.
I don't believe you do or you would abandon your insane idea of buying a used Quad G5 and buy an 8 core Mac Pro instead. Have a nice day. :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Of course the Canopus hardware will work perfectly with a Mac Pro - any Mac in fact. Why aren't you phoning the technical support departments of each producer of hardware or publisher of software with these questions? Why ask us?

as i stated earlier multi, i wasn't asking you :) and this all just came up in the last day or so and i haven't had time (march break here in canada so i'm with my kids full time).

I think you are crazy not to get the FCP 5.1UB upgrade and buy an 8 core Mac Pro. I think you are nuts man. Quad G5 is great but not as good as the Mac Pro. You are clinging to the past. I am 60 and I tell you you are crazy to buy a Quad G5 now.And you have not called them for an update because?

again....time.

Fact is you need an 8 core Mac Pro to do this kind of work efficiently. I am buying the 8 core Mac Pro specifically to do this kind of compression work with Toast 8 which will use all 8 cores for mpeg2 compression to DVD Images.
does toast take .movs or fcp ref files to compress? i assume if you are doing this, that the quality is fantastic?

No it won't. Quad G5 and Mac Pros are both PCIe NOT X. So you will LOSE use of this card with either choice.

not a big deal. i'll keep it going on my g5 then.

This is not a laughing matter. You are writing about dumping thousands of dollars down the drain because you are not calling each publisher of each little app you use and asking about Mac Pro compatability OR alternate applications that will do the same job better.

i gracefully disagree. i don't think it's dumping down the drain. i would make money with it and that's important. sure, i've not made the time to contact them, but i will. granted, i'm obviously re-thinking this decision.

Those reasons BLOW. You are rationalizing your FEAR to advance. There is no logic to buying a Quad G5 now. It is an INSANE choice. You need to SNAP OUT OF IT and get with the FUTURE.No it WON'T. You are RATIONALIZING. ALL QUADS ARE TOO SLOW for what you are doing.

i'm not fearful at all! i'm being cash conscious. ppl can agree or disagree with my rationalizing..that's their right.

Yeah. It's too fricking SLOW. You need an 8 core Mac Pro - not pokey Quad G5.

lol thanks. when are these 8 cores coming out? in a month or so from what i've read.

I don't believe you do or you would abandon your insane idea of buying a used Quad G5 and buy an 8 core Mac Pro instead.

now, this is completely disagree with. how in God's name do you know what i'm thinking? i may agree or disagree with what you're saying and you may have a TON of knowledge to share, but that doesn't mean you don't know how much i appreciate your responses.

you just kicked my a$$ in this post and justifiably so....and - I appreciate the info, feedback and time :)

what you should say, is to honour your responses, i should buy the mac pro :)

i'll keep you posted, just for the fun of it.

i just realized i posted some of my answers with your quoted message. see, i'm too excited to know what i'm doing :)

Cheers,
Keebler

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
8 core Mac Pro and Final Cut Studio 6 Could Be Big Time Savers

now, this is completely disagree with. how in God's name do you know what i'm thinking? i may agree or disagree with what you're saying and you may have a TON of knowledge to share, but that doesn't mean you don't know how much i appreciate your responses.

you just kicked my a$$ in this post and justifiably so....and - I appreciate the info, feedback and time :)

what you should say, is to honour your responses, i should buy the mac pro :)

i'll keep you posted, just for the fun of it.

i just realized i posted some of my answers with your quoted message. see, i'm too excited to know what i'm doing :)
Yeah I can get carried away with myself sometimes. Sorry about that. Anyway if you can wait for the 8 core announcement I think you might be surprised at how it will be able to save you a lot of time.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Of course the Canopus hardware will work perfectly with a Mac Pro - any Mac in fact. Why aren't you phoning the technical support departments of each producer of hardware or publisher of software with these questions? Why ask us? I think you are crazy not to get the FCP 5.1UB upgrade and buy an 8 core Mac Pro. I think you are nuts man. Quad G5 is great but not as good as the Mac Pro. You are clinging to the past. I am 60 and I tell you you are crazy to buy a Quad G5 now.And you have not called them for an update because?Fact is you need an 8 core Mac Pro to do this kind of work efficiently. I am buying the 8 core Mac Pro specifically to do this kind of compression work with Toast 8 which will use all 8 cores for mpeg2 compression to DVD Images.No it won't. Quad G5 and Mac Pros are both PCIe NOT X. So you will LOSE use of this card with either choice.This is not a laughing matter. You are writing about dumping thousands of dollars down the drain because you are not calling each publisher of each little app you use and asking about Mac Pro compatability OR alternate applications that will do the same job better.Those reasons BLOW. You are rationalizing your FEAR to advance. There is no logic to buying a Quad G5 now. It is an INSANE choice. You need to SNAP OUT OF IT and get with the FUTURE.No it WON'T. You are RATIONALIZING. ALL QUADS ARE TOO SLOW for what you are doing.Yeah. It's too fricking SLOW. You need an 8 core Mac Pro - not pokey Quad G5.I don't believe you do or you would abandon your insane idea of buying a used Quad G5 and buy an 8 core Mac Pro instead. Have a nice day. :)

Yeah I can get carried away with myself sometimes. Sorry about that. Anyway if you can wait for the 8 core announcement I think you might be surprised at how it will be able to save you a lot of time.

no need to apologize multi. it was all meant in good fun. i'm not offended or anything. i do appreciate it. you probably just reinforced that i should put my head in a hole for a month or so as i hammer out my current workload and see what apple has to offer us :)

take care!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Don't Forget To Get The 5.1UB For $199

no need to apologize multi. it was all meant in good fun. i'm not offended or anything. i do appreciate it. you probably just reinforced that i should put my head in a hole for a month or so as i hammer out my current workload and see what apple has to offer us :)
But first, Don't forget to
exercise your 5.1UB option for $199 by next Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.