Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Been thinking of doing this for a long time, but finally getting around to it. Stories and Photos are intertwined. Once in a blue moon a single photo tells a complete story. The other 99+% of the time it will benefit greatly from additional information. That can be in the form of text or sometimes a second photo or different cropping. As the title suggest the posting guidelines are intended to be very relaxed as I think your photos and stories are of much greater interest than defining how you can or cannot tell them.

Please feel free to post your own contributions.

As or if the thread progresses guidelines can be implemented should the need arise.

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Will kick it off with this photo that either my wife or I took on a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in September of 1990. Shot on Kodacolor II/100 film and digitized via camera.

To someone familiar with the western Rockies this photo tells a story of a recent and powerful flash flood.
B8aS.jpg

However adding a second photo fills in a lot of details that the first photo fails to convey. Zoom in to full resolution if it's hard to read.
B9s.jpg

If you want to know more, then by all means visit this website.

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
What would be awesome if a updated photo of the same place in 2024 to see the change that has happened
That it would. But not from me, just too far away now. Maybe we have a Colorado or Wyoming photog who has something more recent on tap.

The fun thing about photographing Rocky Mountain Park, is that it is a huge area with great photo ops, but very few cliché shots.

Reactions: jeremz1ne

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Gonna switch gears. These are different croppings of the same frame. Shot on Kodacolor II/100 film on Sept 15, 1991.
5ADSC_0189.jpg

5BDSC_0189.jpg

The initial story is that I have absolutely no memory of taking this shot. It was the first day in transit to what would be a total of 19 days away from civilization. With 8 rolls of 24 exposure film, I was being stingy. So if there were any signs back in 1991, I did not take a reference shot. A bit of a search with Google image match and I rediscovered that this was an overlook of the Dolores River. It's located on Highway 141 south of Grand Junction Colorado.

While playing with various croppings I noticed something man made along the cliff. If you zoom in to full resolution it shows clearly in this third image.
5DDSC_0189.jpg

Another trip to the search engines revealed a fascinating story. It's fairly long, so read as much or as little as may be of interest.

Last edited:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
The fun thing about photographing Rocky Mountain Park, is that it is a huge area with great photo ops, but very few cliché shots.

I'm heading to Moab in a couple of weeks for 5 days. My last trip there was 31 years ago One of my goals is to take as few cliche images as I can. Shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully I like some of them enough to post here.

The idea of a "relaxed thread" is very appealing.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I'm heading to Moab in a couple of weeks for 5 days. My last trip there was 31 years ago One of my goals is to take as few cliche images as I can. Shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully I like some of them enough to post here.

Sounds like a great trip. Would love to get back there someday, but that is not too likely. So many cliche shots there that you may find it challenging to avoid.

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv

that sounds fun, enjoy the trip and be safe

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
While there are not many cliché photos associated with Rocky Mountain National Park, there are the Whistling Marmots. To make it a true cliché we captured this guy right on the Great Divide. Surprised he so graciously posed for us, with our two dogs barking their brains out in the car just a few feet away.
RMNP_Marmots.jpg

There were some deer shots but I'm afraid quality wise they fall into the cull category. Still those weren't the only critters.

RMP90B_17b&C9a.jpg

And of course;

RMP90C_1c.jpg

All shots Kodacolor-II, ASA-100 film. Nikormat FtN. Probably the Tamron 28-70mm zoom lens, possibly the Nikkor 105mm ƒ-2.5 lens. Copied via the Nikon Z-50.

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Most of what I am doing this winter revolves around digitizing old slides & negs. Some are not my own. Another reason for creating the relaxed thread.

From a roll my wife shot and posted with her kind permission. She was learning to use the family SLR after the death of her own Minolta Himatic. Somewhere she found a a large field with tons of purple Irises and these are some the results.

From Kodacolor II - ASA 100, 35mm film.
`Iris90_Title.jpg

Iris90_15&21_Sld.jpg

Iris90_16&18_Sld.jpg

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
After multiple distractions I am finally getting back to the Rocky Mountain National Park set.

While RMNP is home to Alberta Falls and Chasm Falls and both are photogenic, neither is exactly iconic. However there are also lots of little streams that will grab your attention, even late in the season.

Two takes at the same location somewhere in the Park. As always both are best viewed zoomed into full resolution.

Kodacolor II ASA 100 (C-41).

RMP90C_15.jpg

RMP90C_16.jpg

Last edited:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'm still in Moab. We decided to stay in today. My 28 year old son and his dog are hurting. His 67 year old father is ready for snother hike, but I don't enjoy solo hiking. There's something special about the shared experience.

I'm posting these right out of the camera. They need a little bit of PP to clean them up.

This first set is from Arches National Park.

MacRumors-10.JPG
MacRumors-11.JPG
MacRumors-12.JPG
MacRumors-13.JPG

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
P5111676.JPG

I took a lot of trips when we were doing the communications designs for military hospitals, but never had very much spare time. On this trip to Fairbanks, we went site seeing on a Sunday. These machines were just abandoned in place.
P5111681.JPG
Built for mining gold. Hard to know how much gold it took just to build these machines.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I left California as a child. I took a trip from the east coast to see if I could afford to live in the San Francisco Bay Area again.

Took some time to visit San Francisco itself one day. There was a lot of climbing the hills that make the city what it is.

P8090115.jpg

Attachments

• P8090075.jpg
    P8090075.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P8090093.jpg
    P8090093.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • P8090072.jpg
    P8090072.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 18

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Finishing off the Rocky Mountain Park set with what I call reculls. This pair was not even printed way back in the 1990s. Subjects just weren't going to make the grade as 3x5 prints and the lighting was weak enough that bigger prints would have been fairly muddy looking. Anyways after some work in PhotoShop I was able to bring these two images to life. Both were shot near the great divide.

RMP90B_20B.jpg

RMP90B_21B.jpg

Zoomed in on the second image and (re)discovered the elk heard. Be sure zoom into full resolution on this one
RMP90B_21A.jpg

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Most likely not my photo. Possible I grabbed dads camera but far more likely it was Mom who deserves the credit.

My parents built a summer cabin in the mountains north of Florrissant, CO back in the early 70s. They had a lovely view of Crystal Peak when looking out two of their windows. Mom was always urging me to get a picture of the sunset. As photo assignments go, that one was a colossal failure. However when initially working my way through their old slides I discovered this gem taken in 1976. With a bit of cropping it was exactly the photo mom was hoping I would get. The irony is that it had been hiding in her slide collection all along.

This from the original 2400ppi scan I did several years ago.

CrystalPeakSunset_c1976.jpg

Last edited:

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Well for me I didn't start taking photography real seriously until I capture the following shot and I have my late father to thank for that as he spotted a Red-tailed Hawk eating a dead black squirrel that was across the street.
For me, photography became a serious pursuit only after I took the following shot, and I owe it to my late father. He was the one who noticed a Red-tailed Hawk feasting on a dead black squirrel across the street.

I've discovered that many of my best photographs were captured serendipitously, simply by being prepared and having my camera ready for immediate use.

Photography has evolved into both a passion and a career path for me.

Wildlife photography captivates me because of its tranquility and the serene contrast it offers to the hectic pace of everyday life.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I found my love of photography through my father as well. He had an extraordinary eye. He's been gone for 17 years and he still inspires me.
Likewise with my father. He was a commercial photographer and ran his own Ad agency but LOVED photography and did a lot outside of his work life. If I ever become 1% of what he was, I’ll be happy :).

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I found my love of photography through my father as well. He had an extraordinary eye. He's been gone for 17 years and he still inspires me.
My love was courtesy of my mother. Her slideshows when I was a little kid sucked me in and have never released me.

OTOH Dad somehow always blew either the horizon line, the exposure or the focus. Sometimes all three.

OTOH dad did introduce me to exaggerated parallel stereo photography via aerial photographs. And with the coming of digital photography, cost and printing have been eliminated, so now I am trying to do stereo pairs whenever I have a vertical or square subject.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.