Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewjonn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2016
I already have the 15" rMBP 2015 which I assume is more than enough for heavier tasks like Logic Pro, video editing, photoshop, graphic design etc and also a 13" 2011 MBP which is kinda noisy when I run 2 browsers at once and Spotify. Sound is crazily annoying and I have to close one of those apps and put it on a flat surface to stop it (I use my 13" MBP mainly for Netflix, casual internet browsing, and NSFW contents, so I don't do much of my works here since the 15" is good enough to take them all, and it mostly stay on my bed whenever I stream films.

If the 2016 rMB is totally fan-less and would probably make no noises on any occasions, then I'm considering to grab one, either gold or space gray is honestly jaw-dropping. but might be a waste since my current MBP is still good to go for light tasks, also haven't put SSD in it. Since SSD might help the processors with stuffs, would it also let my Mac produces less heat? Which means less fan-noise probably (I'm just assuming)

Waste of money? Also don't know what to do with my old MBP since it no longer has value on the market. Also, should I take the 1.1 M3 or the 1.2 M5? It's honestly 300 bucks in between and I don't need 512GB worth of space (more speed is great though) Would just use it as I use my current 13" MBP and maybe only add Microsoft Office and that's it. Great travel companion, aesthetic look, and conveniently silent. Even thinking about the 12" iPad Pro honestly.

So if you would suggest, 2016 rMB (which one), iPad Pro 2016, or just save a lot and get an SSD?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
If the 2016 rMB is totally fan-less
It is totally fan-less. There are no moving parts. I don't own one, so I can't comment on the noise of the keys or tapping of the trackpad but I'm certain it would be no more significant loud than any other mac, barring the fan aspect.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I already have the 15" rMBP 2015 which I assume is more than enough for heavier tasks like Logic Pro, video editing, photoshop, graphic design etc and also a 13" 2011 MBP which is kinda noisy when I run 2 browsers at once and Spotify. Sound is crazily annoying and I have to close one of those apps and put it on a flat surface to stop it (I use my 13" MBP mainly for Netflix, casual internet browsing, and NSFW contents, so I don't do much of my works here since the 15" is good enough to take them all, and it mostly stay on my bed whenever I stream films.

If the 2016 rMB is totally fan-less and would probably make no noises on any occasions, then I'm considering to grab one, either gold or space gray is honestly jaw-dropping. but might be a waste since my current MBP is still good to go for light tasks, also haven't put SSD in it. Since SSD might help the processors with stuffs, would it also let my Mac produces less heat? Which means less fan-noise probably (I'm just assuming)

Waste of money? Also don't know what to do with my old MBP since it no longer has value on the market. Also, should I take the 1.1 M3 or the 1.2 M5? It's honestly 300 bucks in between and I don't need 512GB worth of space (more speed is great though) Would just use it as I use my current 13" MBP and maybe only add Microsoft Office and that's it. Great travel companion, aesthetic look, and conveniently silent. Even thinking about the 12" iPad Pro honestly.

So if you would suggest, 2016 rMB (which one), iPad Pro 2016, or just save a lot and get an SSD?

For your use cases stated above, I think you should opt for an m3 rMB in the color of your choice. Totally understand where you're coming from-- I have a 15'' and a rMB myself. 15'' is great for power tasks (Logic Pro, graphic design), rMB is the perfect travel companion/bed device. You're not going to see a huge difference between m3 and m5, and since you have a MBP to fall back on for more intense applications, I think you'd be happy with the m3.

The rMB is totally silent, btw. It gets hot but never makes any noise. It's an awesome device and I enjoy using it any time I'm at home. At the office it's all rMBP for me.Try to get whatever you can out of your old 13'' MBP and spring for an m3 rMB. You won't regret it.
[doublepost=1463335489][/doublepost]
Yes, it is silent. Except the keyboard is quite loud. Louder than any other Mac keyboard I've used.

I'll say it can be loud depending on who's using the computer. The first few days I had the machine I was typing loudly, but as I've learned how to type more efficiently on the new butterfly keyboard, I'm now typing very quietly. For me the trick is applying less pressure and I've become more efficient. Will vary just depending on the person, obviously. But I think it's unfair to characterize the keyboard as loud when it can be much quieter, in my personal experience.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Waste of money?
This all depends on your price sensitivity. If you have a lot of cash, why not buy the 2016 rMB to enjoy laptop/bed computing?

But if you have to take out credit, or could better spend the money elsewhere, don't.

Or somewhere in the middle—sell the 2011 13" MBP for the few hundreds that you can to offset the cost, and buy the least expensive refurbished 2015 rMB Apple offers, or cheapest that you can get on Craigslist.

Reactions: soulreaver99

drewjonn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2016
This all depends on your price sensitivity. If you have a lot of cash, why not buy the 2016 rMB to enjoy laptop/bed computing?

But if you have to take out credit, or could better spend the money elsewhere, don't.

Or somewhere in the middle—sell the 2011 13" MBP for the few hundreds that you can to offset the cost, and buy the least expensive refurbished 2015 rMB Apple offers, or cheapest that you can get on Craigslist.

Would listen to spend the money elsewhere more important, totally agreed.

but I'd never buy any refurbished laptop or second-hand gadget, it would totally feel different from the newest version you unseal by yourself, rather save up $1300 and be happy than $700 of unsatisfaction. especially it's a Mac and the look is 70% of the reason I'm feeling to go for it.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
It is completely silent when operating, as there's no mechanical parts that could potentially make a sound. Even the screen hinge is completely silent, which I really like. Some MBPs had a 'run in periode' where the spring (or whatever is in there) had to be worn down a bit, until it became silent.

The trackpad makes the same level of noise as the old normal trackpads. You can even turn on an artificial click sound in System Preferences, if you want it louder.

And I agree with Mikel30 above; the keyboard is the loudest I have used since the old clickety-click-IBM-keyboards. I don't really mind it, but I would be annoyed if I sat next to someone in the library typing on it. :p Good thing my library study days are over, hehe.

Apart from the keyboard, you also do get the occasional loud "oh" or "ah", but that's from people passing by, seeing you sitting there with your sexy Macbook. 8)

Reactions: MLVC

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Would listen to spend the money elsewhere more important, totally agreed.

but I'd never buy any refurbished laptop or second-hand gadget, it would totally feel different from the newest version you unseal by yourself, rather save up $1300 and be happy than $700 of unsatisfaction. especially it's a Mac and the look is 70% of the reason I'm feeling to go for it.

There are still places selling the 2015 base model new for $999 or less if you don't want to buy a refurbished product.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
After enjoying the original last year, I bought the current model. The keyboard is refined and nearly silent. Controversial for all the previously stated reasons, this Retina MacBook is just another example of Apple’s long history of shipping a somewhat buggy first year model, then following it up with a new improved version.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I guess that's just me but I don't find the keyboard loud at all. If you come from a mechanical keyboard and are used to hitting the keys then they do make a sound, but I basically touch-type on it and it is very very silent.

Reactions: Trey M

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
After enjoying the original last year, I bought the current model. The keyboard is refined and nearly silent. Controversial for all the previously stated reasons, this Retina MacBook is just another example of Apple’s long history of shipping a somewhat buggy first year model, then following it up with a new improved version.

Yeah, that was the overall reason I returned my first gen rMB. I was dissatisfied with some keyboard problems it had among other issues that I felt Skylake would improve fairly significantly. Both of these things proved worth waiting for. Looking at first gen notebooks from Apple, you do sort of notice a trend of varying issues that can really be a headache down the road.

My rMBP is still running like a champ but I did have to get the panel replaced as it was a defective LG panel that exhibited ghosting. I now have the superior Samsung panel and the machine has been flawless ever since; however it's still an example of the random issues you'll run into with first gen notebooks.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
I guess that's just me but I don't find the keyboard loud at all. If you come from a mechanical keyboard and are used to hitting the keys then they do make a sound, but I basically touch-type on it and it is very very silent.
Keyboard is insanely loud. Last week a student complained when I was typing something on the rMB while she was writing s test. Has never happened to me before. It's embarrassingly loud in some situations.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Keyboard is insanely loud. Last week a student complained when I was typing something on the rMB while she was writing s test. Has never happened to me before. It's embarrassingly loud in some situations.

Insanely loud? How?? My keyboard doesn't make any clicking sounds when I press the keys at all. I am guessing you're not touch-typing? I'm used to it from iPad.
I use a mechanical keyboard on my desktop PC, you don't know what a loud keyboard sounds like lol

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015

I always buy refurbished when I can. Apple refurbs are indistinguishable from new product. In the middle of a product cycle refurb is totally the way to go.

Last edited:

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Insanely loud? How?? My keyboard doesn't make any clicking sounds when I press the keys at all. I am guessing you're not touch-typing? I'm used to it from iPad.
I use a mechanical keyboard on my desktop PC, you don't know what a loud keyboard sounds like lol
I know what a loud keyboard is - I'm not 12. 'touch typing'? ROFL

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
You've apparently never actually seen/opened an Apple refurbished product.

Yeah for most other manufacturer's refurbished products I'd agree the experience probably isn't the same. But if you buy Apple refurbs on Apple.com, you're really getting a new (exterior) product. And their warranty to stand behind it. You can even argue that their refurbs go thru more testing than a new model. Apple refurbs are the best of their kind.

Funny thing is a couple years back Apple was actually selling refurbs themselves thru eBay. Not aware that they still do but I could be wrong. I picked up an Air this way. It was unofficial (as in, the seller didn't list Apple as their name) but it was confirmed that it was truly Apple running the show in the background. Interesting approach for them. Came in the same exact packaging as any other Apple refurb would (labeled certified refurbished).My Air even came with an additional 4GB RAM that was unlisted in the product description (bought 4GB received upgrade to 8GB free). This is also known to happen when buying from Apple.com refurb section from time to time.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Keyboard is insanely loud.

Hyperbole much?

I can make my rMB keyboard loud by becoming Angry-Typist and beating the heck out every key press. When I type normally though, not trying to drive each key through the desk surface, it doesn't seem any different from the other keyboards I use regularly. (Apple Magic Keyboard, Dell Lattitude, Logitech K750)

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Hyperbole much?

I can make my rMB keyboard loud by becoming Angry-Typist and beating the heck out every key press. When I type normally though, not trying to drive each key through the desk surface, it doesn't seem any different from the other keyboards I use regularly. (Apple Magic Keyboard, Dell Lattitude, Logitech K750)
Look, once the people around you start complaining about the noise, the keyboard is too loud. You can sugarcoat it as much as you like. This being an Apple product, your next argument is likely that I'm probably just holding it wrong.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Look, once the people around you start complaining about the noise, the keyboard is too loud. You can sugarcoat it as much as you like. This being an Apple product, your next argument is likely that I'm probably just holding it wrong.

this keyboard isn't even remotely loud as far as keyboards go. there is just less tolerance for poor typing form due to the fact there is very little dampening between the keys and the chassis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.