Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psp123

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
I probably won't get the Pixel 9. I used my 8 Pro yesterday and the performance and overall experience left my a bit disappointed.

Apps that run smoothly on the S24U (and older Samsung and OnePlus phones) are worse on the Pixel. There is stuttering when scrolling and sometimes even when unlocking the phone or pulling down the notification panel.
The fingerprint reader, battery life and lack of features (I'm in Europe) are also frustrating.

I've had almost every XL/Pro Nexus/Pixel and they have always felt a bit like a beta product. It's getting harder to accept now that they cost more than 1000€.

I look forward to the Pixel 10 Pro though.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I probably won't get the Pixel 9. I used my 8 Pro yesterday and the performance and overall experience left my a bit disappointed.

Apps that run smoothly on the S24U (and older Samsung and OnePlus phones) are worse on the Pixel. There is stuttering when scrolling and sometimes even when unlocking the phone or pulling down the notification panel.
The fingerprint reader, battery life and lack of features (I'm in Europe) are also frustrating.

I've had almost every XL/Pro Nexus/Pixel and they have always felt a bit like a beta product. It's getting harder to accept now that they cost more than 1000€.

I look forward to the Pixel 10 Pro though.

Same. I'm a diehard Nexus / Pixel guy, but after getting the S24U the P8P does have some lag and hiccups here and there like you mentioned, that I don't get on the S24 Ultra.

Pufster

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
I'd like to write down my experience with the S24 ultra.

I have been an iPhone user since 2010. I only tried an android during the galaxy S4 days but quickly returned it because it was not polished and back then iOS was much better compared to Android. I have had iphone 4, 5, 6, 7, X, 12 pro and 14 pro.

But after so many years, even if the product in itself is good, it became quite boring. I saw all these cool phones on Android come and go meanwhile my 14 pro wasn't that much different than my 12. I noticed that I like the UI aesthetic of oneUI because it looked polished and a bit like iOS and Android wasn't the same anymore as in 2012.

So end of January I purchased a S24 ultra. Very good phone. But after about 2 weeks I missed my Iphone, mostly because majority of friends and family used one. So shared albums, airdrop, imessage was gone. I live in Europe so Whatsapp is really popular here too but it was more than just imessage.
I also have ipad pro and macbook pro but noticed I don't use them that much to force me to stay on apple. It was mostly family reasons.

Anyway after about 3 weeks I returned my galaxy and purchased iPhone 15 pro max. I got used to the big screen so went for the max for the first time. It felt nice having the things back I missed. But you can already see it coming. I started missing Android too. Even if the iPhone 15 pro max was still the best iPhone ever made, it was still 99% the same as my 14 or even 12, save for the dynamic island.
So what did I do then? I bought a S24 ultra again and carried both at the same time for several weeks.
I noticed that if I have both in front of me i was more inclined to use the S24, unless I needed to do something only my iPhone could but this hardly ever happened.
I like the bigger screen, the status bar, the gestures like back button, app drawer, swipe for notification center.

So currently my iPhone is only used when I go to the gym because I have airpods pro. Those fit much better for me than the galaxy buds 2 pro. I see myself switching again after some weeks to keep it fresh though but carrying 2 phones at the same time i won't ever go again. It felt so stressed for me.

I am interested in the iPhone 16 but it will probably be minor improvements yet again and iOS 18 will come to my 15 pro anyway.

I have turned to using workarounds for the fact that my family uses iPhones. Texting is whatsapp which we all have anyway. Icloud photos are now google photos. We all have a google account anyway so I send using that. Airdrop and so on I use quick share with the qr code. I gave my apple watch (which I didn't use that much anyway) to my wife. I feel sorry for the people wanting to switch but can't let go because of pressure from family.

What I wish is that samsung just improved the consistancy of the camera. With iPhone you knew what to expect but my S24 could sometimes completely expose wrong. And the zoom camera, although good in good lighting, is really bad moment it gets darker. Skin tones become orange like which I really hate. For photos I still prefer my S24 but videos is hands down my iPhone.
At the end of the day, what iOS is known for is true for me. A bit more polish, (some) apps have a better UI, but you also give up certain things to have that.

Last edited:

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023

I have been an iPhone user since 2010. I only tried an android during the galaxy S4 days but quickly returned it because it was not polished and back then iOS was much better compared to Android. I have had iphone 4, 5, 6, 7, X, 12 pro and 14 pro.

But after so many years, even if the product in itself is good, it became quite boring. I saw all these cool phones on Android come and go meanwhile my 14 pro wasn't that much different than my 12. I noticed that I like the UI aesthetic of oneUI because it looked polished and a bit like iOS and Android wasn't the same anymore as in 2012.

So end of January I purchased a S24 ultra. Very good phone. But after about 2 weeks I missed my Iphone, mostly because majority of friends and family used one. So shared albums, airdrop, imessage was gone. I live in Europe so Whatsapp is really popular here too but it was more than just imessage.
I also have ipad pro and macbook pro but noticed I don't use them that much to force me to stay on apple. It was mostly family reasons.

Anyway after about 3 weeks I returned my galaxy and purchased iPhone 15 pro max. I got used to the big screen so went for the max for the first time. It felt nice having the things back I missed. But you can already see it coming. I started missing Android too. Even if the iPhone 15 pro max was still the best iPhone ever made, it was still 99% the same as my 14 or even 12, save for the dynamic island.
So what did I do then? I bought a S24 ultra again and carried both at the same time for several weeks.
I noticed that if I have both in front of me i was more inclined to use the S24, unless I needed to do something only my iPhone could but this hardly ever happened.
I like the bigger screen, the status bar, the gestures like back button, app drawer, swipe for notification center.

So currently my iPhone is only used when I go to the gym because I have airpods pro. Those fit much better for me than the galaxy buds 2 pro. I see myself switching again after some weeks to keep it fresh though but carrying 2 phones at the same time i won't ever go again. It felt so stressed for me.

I am interested in the iPhone 16 but it will probably be minor improvements yet again and iOS 18 will come to my 15 pro anyway.

I have turned to using workarounds for the fact that my family uses iPhones. Texting is whatsapp which we all have anyway. Icloud photos are now google photos. We all have a google account anyway so I send using that. Airdrop and so on I use quick share with the qr code. I gave my apple watch (which I didn't use that much anyway) to my wife. I feel sorry for the people wanting to switch but can't let go because of pressure from family.

What I wish is that samsung just improved the consistancy of the camera. With iPhone you knew what to expect but my S24 could sometimes completely expose wrong. And the zoom camera, although good in good lighting, is really bad moment it gets darker. Skin tones become orange like which I really hate. For photos I still prefer my S24 but videos is hands down my iPhone.
Try using your airpods with S24U, it works really really well, I'm using 2nd gen Pros with my Ultra

Pufster

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
Yes true but then it has the same functionality of 20 euros headphones. The features you get when paired with the respective brand is rather nice.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Yes true but then it has the same functionality of 20 euros headphones. The features you get when paired with the respective brand is rather nice.
Not entirely True, I use my AirPods with S24 ultra to Forward/Back songs with double tap, double tap to answer calls.
Only thing I can not do is to check battery as there is no widget.

Controlling music and answering calls is all I need.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
What features are you missing on? Sound is exactly the same
It's Apple. They're known for making their products to be subpar with any other phone than iPhone. You lose Spatial Audio and that makes a huge difference in my opinion. If you want the best audio with an Android I would suggest Sony (with LDAC), Bose, Sennheiser etc instead that also brings better apps with control over the audio.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

At the end of the day, what iOS is known for is true for me. A bit more polish, (some) apps have a better UI, but you also give up certain things to have that.
Wow! Nice write and thanks for sharing your experiences.
All of the things you listed mirror my experiences as well. I was a long time Apple customer and love my iPhone and love my s24U. So the only solution was to have both phones and switch back and forth...or carry both of them sometimes!
Most of my friends and family are iPhone users and they like to give me a hard time when i use any Android phones.

Enjoy your S24U...in my opinion it is the best smartphone out there.

Reactions: Technerd108

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Try using your airpods with S24U, it works really really well, I'm using 2nd gen Pros with my Ultra

I have been using the Airpods with the S24U and they have been great. I wish I can have the features like adaptive and noise cancellation but those really didn't mean much to me when I had the Iphone. I can listen to music at the gym or Podcasts and Music when I walk. They still work and that's what matters.

I think tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I've had the Ultra and I don't really miss the Iphone yet. I'm more frustrated by not really having an idea of how to customize the Ultra to make it fit my personality (And I find Good Lock a little confusing) but I'm still enjoying it. I think the real test will be ignoring WWDC and what Apple has to say, but even then, I feel like Samsung brings out new features and updates quicker than Apple does. Samsung had it's thing in February and S21s were getting those features in April. Apple will have it's thing in June and no one will get a public release of those features until mid to late September. I wish Apple sped up their schedule especially considering how many bugs are still in public releases and I feel like the Betas don't really mean anything.

Last edited:

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
For anybody who has been a long time iPhone owner, have any of you actually been able to stay away when you’ve changed to android? I’ll admit, I want to but never manage it

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
For anybody who has been a long time iPhone owner, have any of you actually been able to stay away when you’ve changed to android? I’ll admit, I want to but never manage it
I used be the guy who tried "the new Android" but went back to iPhone within weeks.

I've had pretty much every iPhone, I have skipped maybe 2-3 iPhones over the years. Got a S23 last summer and haven't switched back. Wasn't even tempted to buy iPhone 15 Pro.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I was able to last 8 months last year. Thought I finally cracked the code, but pretty much wrestled with going back to iPhone the entire time. Alas, here I am still on iPhone.

Reactions: keithop and yui4

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
not a chance

Which is why I very much enjoy using both. I'm very lucky I get to enjoy different software experiences of android as well.

lionofthesouth

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Yes, had every iPhone until 6s plus. At first I kept the iPhone , but found myself switching back to it. I decided to sell the iPhone so it wasn't there to switch back to. Was on Android until I bought a used XS Max and then replaced that with a 13PM which I still have. Since then I have had Pixel 6 pro,7 pro and now S24U.

To be honest I only keep the iPhone as I work as a driver in semi rural area where a lot of houses have names rather than numbers, and Apple Maps is SO much better in that regard compared to Google Maps. If it wasn't for that, I would happily go back to 100% Android. Although I must admit I do prefer Face ID, especially compared to under screen FPS.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I used be the guy who tried "the new Android" but went back to iPhone within weeks.

I've had pretty much every iPhone, I have skipped maybe 2-3 iPhones over the years. Got a S23 last summer and haven't switched back. Wasn't even tempted to buy iPhone 15 Pro.
I did the same up until iPhone 8 Plus.

Pre-ordered a Pixel 4a and have been using Android mobile phones ever since (and a Chromebook too).

Most of the reasons for me reverting back to iPhone in the past had to do with app (and OS!) stability and inconsistency issues. There were substantial improvements around then and RCS came out a little while after as I recall.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’ve been iPhone owner since the 1st generation and I’ve dabbled with Android through out the years while being an iPhone user. But I could never get over the hurdle to actually fully commit to Android… until I realized how much I really preferred using Android over iOS, the iPhone is a phenomenal device.

And when folks pair an iPhone to other Apple devices (iPad, Mac, Apple Watch)… it’s awesome experience. I’ve personally enjoyed that experienced for years… but I wanted more out of the iPhone than Apple was willing to give me. I take a cellular iPad on-the-go to help stay within the Apple ecosystem and this method keeps me with an Android phone.

I was able to last 8 months last year. Thought I finally cracked the code, but pretty much wrestled with going back to iPhone the entire time. Alas, here I am still on iPhone.
I think one of your main concerns with Android… was using Google Photos as your default gallery app and how you wanted to share photos under Google Photos app (not Samsung Gallery app), which I think I stumbled upon an article with Google trying to fix that issue you was dealing with.

Because I recall you like using Instagram to share photos and were annoyed using Galaxy Phone due to that particular issue.

Reactions: mjschabow

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I did the same up until iPhone 8 Plus.

Pre-ordered a Pixel 4a and have been using Android mobile phones ever since (and a Chromebook too).

Most of the reasons for me reverting back to iPhone in the past had to do with app (and OS!) stability and inconsistency issues. There were substantial improvements around then and RCS came out a little while after as I recall.
Yeah there was always something that was just better with iPhones before, if it wasn't the battery life it was the smoothness, imessage or something else that just kept me going back to iPhone. But I didn't really miss anything of that when I got the S23 last year so I just never switched back.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I’ve been iPhone owner since the 1st generation and I’ve dabbled with Android through out the years while being an iPhone user. But I could never get over the hurdle to actually fully commit to Android… until I realized how much I really preferred using Android over iOS, the iPhone is a phenomenal device.

And when folks pair an iPhone to other Apple devices (iPad, Mac, Apple Watch)… it’s awesome experience. I’ve personally enjoyed that experienced for years… but I wanted more out of the iPhone than Apple was willing to give me. I take a cellular iPad on-the-go to help stay within the Apple ecosystem and this method keeps me with an Android phone.

I think one of your main concerns with Android… was using Google Photos as your default gallery app and how you wanted to share photos under Google Photos app (not Samsung Gallery app), which I think I stumbled upon an article with Google trying to fix that issue you was dealing with.

Because I recall you like using Instagram to share photos and were annoyed using Galaxy Phone due to that particular issue.
You're 100% accurate there. Yes, that was a very unique concern to me, but a very annoying one. Probably not going to ever leave Apple again, mostly because I don't really have the time anymore and my new addiction is guitars, which is way more expensive, and fml for that.

Reactions: keithop and yui4

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Missed this one. I use Brave Browser on iPhone. You play YouTube offline and background play works seemlessly.

Brave is such a good browser IMO.
Samsung has had this for years in their Internet Browser.

Much more powerful a d secure than the overhyped Brave and their products/service. Lots of terrible security decisions vs what's advertised. Serious do a LOT of digging on that company.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Few photos I took last night walking in the park

Attachments

• 20240423_202638.jpg
    20240423_202638.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240423_202630.jpg
    20240423_202630.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240423_201801.jpg
    20240423_201801.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.