Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SasyBabe

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2003
New Jersey
I was going to buy The Sims for my new PB that is coming.... but i just looked up the system requirements...it says Mac OS 8 and later ... is this right... i cant use this game for my new Mac OS X??? :(

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Re: The Sims...

Originally posted by SasyBabe
I was going to buy The Sims for my new PB that is coming.... but i just looked up the system requirements...it says Mac OS 8 and later ... is this right... i cant use this game for my new Mac OS X??? :(

errr doesnt the "and later" imply um.... and later.

jakel

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2003
MO
I'm not sure if the version on the disk is osx compatible or not, but aspyr does have a carbon update on their sims website that will allow the sims to run in osx. After you get the game, and the powerbook, you can find the update on versiontracker or the aspyr site, I think they ask for the password that comes on the sims cd case.
With the carbonized version the sims runs very nicely on my ibook, so I'm sure it will be great on your new powerbook! Enjoy this great game!

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Im ticked, I have a PC only copy of the Sims (prior switch), and in order to get a mac vers, The Apple Store wants to carge $50 still! :confused: thats a lot for such an old game

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Jimong5
Im ticked, I have a PC only copy of the Sims (prior switch), and in order to get a mac vers, The Apple Store wants to carge $50 still! :confused: thats a lot for such an old game

I don't know if you have access to a brick and mortar Apple Store, but they sell a package of The Sims and the first two updates for $60 (maybe $70). It's a little better deal.

As for the original topic, of course The Sims works fine under OSX.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
I got the Sims for Mac... I can confirm (like some people already did) that it runs fine on OS X. When you get the CD-ROM you will see this but I wanted to mention that you have to "install" twice for OS X. They have an OS X-only Carbon version. So you run the installation once to get the Sims on the machine, then again to install the Carbon version for OS X.

The package is $80, last I remember, and contains the Sims, Living Large and House Party expansion packs. You basically get one expansion pack for free.

Yeah, I know, you get the Sims and Living Large for less than $40 for PC now... but I think Mac is still worth it. I am not much of a gamer so I don't suffer much.

SasyBabe

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2003
New Jersey
Originally posted by Foxer
I don't know if you have access to a brick and mortar Apple Store, but they sell a package of The Sims and the first two updates for $60 (maybe $70). It's a little better deal.

As for the original topic, of course The Sims works fine under OSX.

Where can i find a store like that??? I would love to buy that package deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.