Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I agree that apple maps integrates with the OS better, I do not think anyone in their right mind would disagree with that. The problem is, IF Apple had stayed out of the maps game, they would have continued to work with google and would have provided a WAY better user experience. Once apple created their own maps, they had no choice but to stop working with google to integrate google maps into the iOS experience. Apple is years behind Google with many aspects, and Google keeps improving their product, so Apple may never reach that target.

Some of us would rather better maps than integration. I use one of my iphones as a motorcycle GPS, I have tried to rely on Apple's maps, but the interface is too slow, and inaccurate for motorcycle speeds in the NYC metroplex. Plus, Google is way better with their traffic and rerouting...

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I agree that apple maps integrates with the OS better, I do not think anyone in their right mind would disagree with that. The problem is, IF Apple had stayed out of the maps game, they would have continued to work with google and would have provided a WAY better user experience. Once apple created their own maps, they had no choice but to stop working with google to integrate google maps into the iOS experience. Apple is years behind Google with many aspects, and Google keeps improving their product, so Apple may never reach that target.

Some of us would rather better maps than integration. I use one of my iphones as a motorcycle GPS, I have tried to rely on Apple's maps, but the interface is too slow, and inaccurate for motorcycle speeds in the NYC metroplex. Plus, Google is way better with their traffic and rerouting...
It was the other way around. Google refused to offer iOS auto routing so maps were static only. Apple developed and released Apple Maps to provide users with the ability to route with GPS on the phone. Google later added the service to their app. Apple was at the time forced to make a move or lose to Android due to lack of GPS routing.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Google refused to offer iOS auto routing so maps were static only. Apple developed and released Apple Maps to provide users with the ability to route with GPS on the phone. Google later added the service to their app. Apple was at the time forced to make a move or lose to Android due to lack of GPS routing.

Yeah, people seem to quickly forget JUST HOW CRAPPY the Google Maps was on iOS before Apple Maps came along. Once Google was allowed to build their own app, it quickly became amazing.

Apple Maps coming along did two good things; it provided an alternative to Google Maps (choices are a good thing, even if one isn't quite as good at times) and it allowed Google to create the app it wanted to create for iOS. I just wish Apple allowed better integration with Google Maps; like using it with Siri.

Reactions: campyguy

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Wasn't the original Google Maps an Apple creation? That's why it didnt have all the same features as Google's version?

I also remember that there was a situation where Apple replaced the maps app with their own a year prior to the date they originally told Google. Apple then came out and recommended other mapping apps. But Google Maps wasn't immediately available since they didn't anticipate having to make it ready so soon.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Wasn't the original Google Maps an Apple creation? That's why it didnt have all the same features as Google's version?

The app was written by Apple using the Google Maps API, but they had an agreement with google so in a way it was a joint project.

Google didn't give them permission to use turn by turn navigation (as mentioned above) so Apple finally decided to go their own way with maps.

Reactions: magicMac

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I feel that Apple Maps gets a lot of **** by just people saying that Google Maps is always better without proper knowledge.

.... Since the additions of local search, implementation of reviews from a bunch of sites and Transit routes it becomes more and better useful....

But the topic creator gave an example of his usage (coffee shop) and Apple's local search sucks. Apple thinks people are using their maps app for geography homework. Google knows people are using the maps app for travel directions.

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
I will never use Apple Maps because it will always be inferior to Google Maps. Why would I deperive myself from the best service? I don't know of a single apple maps user and always inform people to not use it.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I feel that Apple Maps gets a lot of **** by just people saying that Google Maps is always better without proper knowledge.
My main reason to use Apple Maps and not Google's, is not because of its information, but for its technical superiority. Google Maps is still using bitmaps, while Apple has implemented vector maps since day one. Dragging, zooming and exploring is just infinitely smoother on Apple Maps that it is on Googles. Since the additions of local search, implementation of reviews from a bunch of sites and Transit routes it becomes more and better useful. I find that flyover gives me a lot better sense of direction than the clumsiness of street view. Right now I'm just waiting for transit info to come to Amsterdam. That would be perfect.

I could care less if it's buttery smooth with vector graphics if it's directions, routing and traffic are substantially worse than Google Maps is - which is absolutely the case for me here in Southern California. Driving on the freeways here is a nightmare with traffic and Google is head and shoulders better for me. I try Apple Maps occasionally to see if it has improved and it still lags pretty badly (i.e. this morning Apple maps tried to send me straight into a massive traffic jam on the freeway because of an accident while Google routed me around it with backroads, saving about 25 minutes of driving time). Of course, YMMV.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I love how Apple Maps integrates with iOS, but I simply can't trust it.

It constantly routes the trip from my home to my workplace incorrectly because it hasn't been updated with some new road adjustments in the area (which have been around for about three years now).

I've reported the problem at least five times, complete with screen shots of Google Maps street view to prove that the new roads exist.

If Apple hasn't updated their maps in my area, which is a fairly large city, in over two years, I just can't trust them. Sucks.

Last edited:

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
at the end of the day, it boils down to which maps app you'll use, if your family member calls you up and tells you to come immediately, there's an emergency. apple or google?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Google Maps is so much better... 25 percent of the time Apple Maps won't find a POI or will give me a street in a foreign country... Google on the other hand rarely does, and has better direction (in terms of options etc). Apple Maps has better traffic though.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
at the end of the day, it boils down to which maps app you'll use, if your family member calls you up and tells you to come immediately, there's an emergency. apple or google?

That's exactly how I think of it. If I desperately need to be somewhere important...it's Google Maps all the way.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I used Apple maps recently in Washington, D.C. When I was walking around for directions; it did really well and it was useful for public transit as Wel; having it show when I needed to take different streets on my watch was really useful!

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I will never use Apple Maps because it will always be inferior to Google Maps. Why would I deperive myself from the best service? I don't know of a single apple maps user and always inform people to not use it.
If you never lose your devices or have kids/friends you need to locate you should be ok with this plan. Google cannot provide the location of devices.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
If you never lose your devices or have kids/friends you need to locate you should be ok with this plan. Google cannot provide the location of devices.
Using Find My Phone/Friends is different to using Apple Maps for directions etc

Reactions: henhoy

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
My main reason to use Apple Maps and not Google's, is not because of its information, but for its technical superiority. Google Maps is still using bitmaps, while Apple has implemented vector maps since day one. Dragging, zooming and exploring is just infinitely smoother on Apple Maps that it is on Googles. Since the additions of local search, implementation of reviews from a bunch of sites and Transit routes it becomes more and better useful. I find that flyover gives me a lot better sense of direction than the clumsiness of street view. Right now I'm just waiting for transit info to come to Amsterdam. That would be perfect.

vector is way better. but vector maps without named locations and road names? really. wow. useless scalability. sorry. been there. done that. keep enlarging the map to see if any more granular definitions come up. no.
[doublepost=1462371877][/doublepost]
Not counting the fact that Google is primarily a service company with years and years of dealing with maps and all kinds of related projects.
apple dropped computer from its name a long while ago. it had better get better at services or its finished. unless of course you think that apple is actually going to be bending metal into cars instead of just powering them with software services.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
vector is way better. but vector maps without named locations and road names? really. wow. useless scalability. sorry. been there. done that. keep enlarging the map to see if any more granular definitions come up. no.
[doublepost=1462371877][/doublepost]
apple dropped computer from its name a long while ago. it had better get better at services or its finished. unless of course you actually think that apple is going to actually be bending metal into cars instead of just powering them with software services.
Dropping computer from the name doesn't mean they became or should become mainly a services company.

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015

This is probably the worst "Pro Apple Maps" post of the thread.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
This is probably the worst "Pro Apple Maps" post of the thread.
I assume you are referring to your post and I agree.

How about this...one thing I really don't like about Apple Maps is the lack of exit numbers on the map. We had them when Google was providing the data but since the development of in house maps the exit numbers are gone.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

If someone lost their Android phone, they can find it using "Android device manager".

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
I assume you are referring to your post and I agree.

How about this...one thing I really don't like about Apple Maps is the lack of exit numbers on the map. We had them when Google was providing the data but since the development of in house maps the exit numbers are gone.

NEWSFLASH: When I quoted your post it means I was referring to your post.

No idea how you can assume that I was referring to my own post.

Sedwards

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
Bahrain
Just out of curiosity I decide to see if Apple Maps is any good now that's it's 2016. I search for 'Costa' with both Apple and Google apps. Google Maps shows me all of the nearest Costa coffee shops in the local area. Meanwhile, Apple Maps decides that I really need to take a gander at the former province of Coast, Kenya (a quick Google search tells me this hasn't formerly existed since 2013)...

That's not very encouraging. Hopefully iOS 10 improves the Maps app.
[doublepost=1463905079][/doublepost]

I live in Hong Kong and Apple Maps is at least 4 years out of date on the road and rail system! Most people use an alternative mapping system if they need directions. Considering Apple is out there in front in the tablet and phone market and making massive amounts of money, why can't they employ a team of people to work on this application and bring it up to date.

Reactions: jpn and asv56kx3088

nok123

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
One place where Apple Maps works better ... China. Because of licensing deals, it seems to be as good as local map providers.

Google maps is not bad, but it's blocked by the authorities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.