Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you thinking about getting off the frequent upgrade cycle for your technology?

• Yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I already have

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
This is kind of broad for just the iPhone forum, but the recent sales figures for the iPhone have been making me think a lot about the future of technology in general and a big part of that is the iPhone.

I feel that technology across many segments is maturing. Take my Sony a7R III, for instance. It has nearly everything you could ever want in a camera. I can shoot portraits of people with the sun over their shoulder and not worry about it because the dynamic range is so crazy that I can just bring up their faces in post. It throws a lot of the photography rules out the window. 10fps at 42MP RAW? That's crazy town. This camera is over a year old now and rumors are starting to leak about a 60MP sensor that can do 8K video and I am not even the least bit excited. What is the point of 8K video? You'd need a TV the size of an entire wall to enjoy it on. You probably wouldn't even notice it in most theaters. It's just going to eat up a ton of space and need a much faster computer to process. And my 42MP is already plenty and gives me room to crop while still making large prints, while the 4K recording is already more than enough.

The same goes for the iPhone. For the past few weeks I've been thinking about why I even bother upgrading every year. Part of the reason is because I have the money and love the iPhone, but is it actually worth it? I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program which makes it easy to get hooked. And I've always said I couldn't last two years anyway so no point in not upgrading at my scheduled time. But I've been thinking about it and realistically I could use this XS for 3 years and still probably be happy. And if even a tech-obsessed weirdo like me is starting to think like that, just imagine what the average person must be thinking!

Computers have been largely in this same position for a long time—primarily due to the silicon slowdown we've seen with Intel. I think soon mobile will slow as it catches up to desktop. Moore's law is approaching an end for silicon, and when it comes down to it for the average consumer, do they really need massive increases in processing performance? For many years the advances were driven by a need. Displays were small and pixelated. You could only do one or two things at a time. As resolutions increased and multitasking took off, the need was there for additional performance. In the consumer space the only place I see this need, even potentially, is in machine learning done by consumer apps. But then you have many services that are just performing these tasks in the cloud and sending the result back down. So what else does a person need? Display resolutions in some devices are approaching and in others are beyond what human eyesight is even capable of perceiving. We can run hundreds of tabs in our browsers without breaking a sweat, along with many professional apps at the same time. So what else is there a need for, outside of a few niche professional industries such as science and motion pictures?

I guess what I'm saying is something that a lot of people have already learned, and many others are still working out about when it's time to get off the upgrade cycle. Maybe it has something to do with age, though I'm not very old. I am now approaching my mid-30s. I was born at a time where I grew up during the transition from analog to digital. The rise of the internet during my youth paralleled my own growth as a young man. It shaped every part of who I am today—including meeting my wife online. At the same time I am also informed by what came before. I remember thumbing through index catalogs at the library to research things. I remember as a kid going for long road trips without a phone and being stranded. So I feel well-positioned to comment on what I am seeing, which is to say that I think a lot of technology is plateauing hard. There are some other areas in science and medicine that are advancing at a rapid pace, but I just get the sense that a lot of the technology we use in our everyday lives has matured to the point where it doesn't make much sense to upgrade unless it's broken. Perhaps this has more to do with silicon than anything else. Maybe once we find a suitable replacement that is as affordable we can make more progress. But like I said before, finding reasons for faster chips is becoming harder. Maybe something like consumer AR will necessitate that, or machine learning in things like self-driving cars, or maybe some other client-side machine learning tasks. But for now I just feel like everything is plateauing and maybe it's time to get off the frequent upgrade cycle. And maybe that needs to start with the iPhone. Anyone feel the same? Or am I just going to be suckered into upgrading again later this year (probably, lol).

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Back in the day I used to upgrade 3 or 4 times a year. I certainly don't feel that is necessary anymore. Yearly upgrading IMO and for my needs is not necessary either. With a well taken care of flagship phone it should last 2 or 3 years easy. When the battery starts to degrade to the point of being an issue I will decide if an upgrade is warranted or maybe just a new battery.
People on forums like this one are likely to upgrade more often simply because they are Apple fans and/or tech enthusiasts and want the latest. Also some see it as a status symbol for some reason they need it.
I think the trend is away from yearly upgrades, the phone makers will most likely try to entice upgrades by making offers. Carriers and others already offer payment plans AKA loans for phones. What next.

Reactions: timeconsumer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have never been on any upgrade cycle, nor felt that I had to.

I have always just bought what I wanted, even if I had to wait for it for years or decades. There is a reason a PowerMac G5 Quad with 16GB ram, a 1TB boot drive and a 4TB storage drive and 6 monitors dominates my living room. The Radeon X1900 XT card inside alone is rare and hard to find.

And there is a reason that 3.5 years later I am still using an iPhone 6s+.

If I had the finances to buy what I want when I wish it might be a little different, but ultimately I get what I want even if it's years behind other people. But then again, I've never wanted the trashcan Mac Pros, the iMac or any iPhone above the iPhone 5 (except perhaps the SE).

So no, I don't have to get off an upgrade cycle, because I've never been interested in being on it in the first place.

It IS interesting however watching others having to work this out for themselves. People are now beginning to arrive in the place I've been for years. Their journey involves arguing, discussing, rationalizing, realizing, and ultimately acceptance that they don't have to be on the bleeding edge of technology. It's intriguing to see the turn.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
With the way that iPhone's have been going up in price - along with there not really being any significant upgrades on a yearly basis, I'm considering upgrading my iPhone every two years. Although I'm on the IUP, I'm considering keeping my Xs through next year. I could have kept my X and still been perfectly happy using it for another year. But of course I upgraded to the Xs once the device was released.

Obviously I'm still curious to see what Apple does with the iPhone later this year.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’ve been upgrading every two years and it’s worked well for me.
More or less the same here, although various incentives (like sales or special discounts on devices) have often played a role in that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My annual upgrading days aren’t necessary anymore. Not because I don’t want to support the iPhone or because of the price points, it’s simply because these phones are meeting my expectations more than I could have hoped for, and in ‘every year annual upgrade’ isn’t necessary in my day-to-day functions with how I use my iPhone. These phones receive five years of iOS support, and have excellent security, everything else works seamlessly together and connects me to the outside world. If my phone becomes to the point where I think it needs to be upgraded, I certainly will, but the Max has proven to be a device that will serve me for the next two years until I decide to upgrade again. I can honestly say the iPhone is the _only_ smart phone I would consider in this vast smart phone market, because I think it’s some of the best hardware and software integration combined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.