Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
I dont understand where the source lies. I currently have an external HDD connected my my mac mini. I then have the mac mini wirelessly stream to the appletv. My regular video content works just fine. However, my HD content stutters, if you will, and is very choppy. I don't understand why. I have the most updated firmware for the appletv. If i have the hd content on the HDD of the appletv, it works perfectly fine. No problems whatsoever. What can I do to correct this?

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
The ATV does suffer some stuttering.

I have a problem with a few blue-ray rips. On the ATV HD or on my drobo streaming they just don't play well. I am thinking particularly of G.I. Joe rip that I have.

I have synced it and I have streamed it, it just does not play well on the ATV. Yet the same file on the PS3 plays like a dream.

It would be good if we could get the ATV updated to play HD content over and above iTunes content.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
YMMV, it depends upon the "character" of the source movie and the quality of your wireless network and what's happening on the streaming server moment to moment (that would be your Mac mini).

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
The ATV does suffer some stuttering.
My ATV suffers no stuttering at all. There are two main reasons why video content may stutter on the ATV:-

1. Poorly encoded files that are out of spec for the ATV. But as the OP's files play fine from the ATV's internal HD then this is unlikly to be the problem.

2. Poor network connection. 99% of all playback problems on the ATV are due to a poor network connection when, like the OP, your using wireless.

OP, first thing to try is connect your ATV to your mac using a wired connection and see if that solves your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.