Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I like the spirit! :D
I'm rather stunned you could fit one child and a wife in!

I am not saying there wasn't any complaining... but when my daughter came I couldn't even pick my kids up from their grandma's house in my car. That is what really did me in. It wasn't very cool to have kids car seats in the Porsche either. Was much easier to hide the base from the infant seat, but a second base would have been too much... then there was the actual booster seat.

Anyways, the point is I am even happier with the Mercedes given the complete capabilities of the car over the Porsche. Sure the Porsche was faster, like an MBP, but the Mercedes was better for all of my needs. Same thing with the MBA... it may not fit everyone's needs, but for those of us that it does, it's shear perfection. I am just amazed at all of the people criticizing the MBA, but then again the vast majority aren't actually using one.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
It's kind of funny in a forum, like this, where if a female posts, it seems half the guys are discussing the question, the other half are trying to flirt with the OP.

LOL.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
thanks to e-texts and e-docs, I have virtually eliminated paper from my backpack and today I can travel anywhere with my 13" MBP, iPhone, iPad, three laptop sized ext HDDs, and have a full power workstation. It all fits with plenty of extra room in a standard size backpack.

What to do about all those pesky cables? A small amenity kit bag I received flying business class with United Airlines a while back now serves as my "wires" bag. Makes for a really well organized backpack on the inside

but the MBP is still a bit on the heavy side, next step is for apple to eliminate the ethernet port and give me a third USB port, I haven't used ethernet in years, and while they're at it, they can also eliminate that pesky superdrive and give me an even bigger battery in that space (maybe a 20 hour battery life!)

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I'm not going to sift through 3 pages of people fawning over the OP or complaining about gyms or babies or whatever, so hopefully you've figured out a solution, OP.

Anyway, my two cents:

Depending on what you need the machine for, either keep it and get an iPad for school, or take it back and get a MBA. The Air is fine unless you need to do any "creative" type work, but if it's for taking notes in class, Facebook, etcetera, the Air is more than adequate. I saw plenty of people with them in college.

Also, good choice of bike. Honda's are a great ride.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I'd love to hear how the original poster is going too!

For the record:
* So many of the posts, comments, opinions in this thread I think range from stupid to offensive.
* I understand the original posters dilemma...

I have a 17" PB, 15" MBP, and now use a 13" MBA. I love my MBA! I travel a lot! I travel to range of settings, am constantly carrying everything with me, so understand the original question and situation.

My situation is similar. I am male, I am not frail, unfit, or unable to carry heavy things. BUT when I have a large briefcase that is full of a range of things... passports, books, folders, files, chargers, phones, wallets, iPod, travel documents, you name it.... weight is often a factor for me as well.

I love my MBA - but it is always full... I have a Rev B with 128 SSD.
I regularly run out of room on it - as it has become my primary day to day machine... 43GB music, 17 GB photos, few GB of video files, 7 GB work / other files and you can see quickly I am always at the 10% free mark.

With no updates to the MBA, a full hard drive, and a slow processor that means I see the spinning beach ball way too often was considering buying a 13 MBP. Weight is one factor for me... but also the April spec bump wasn't as kind to the 13" as it was with the 15" and 17".

I'm happy to hear from the original poster? Did you keep the MBP?
And I welcome any thoughts from you.

P.S. I also think you rock! You responded better to several posts in here than I would have!

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Brien: You saw many of them (Airs) in college?

You may have spotted more than anyone else on this forum. May I ask, what college was that? Last time the topic came us, the first class lounge in airports seemed to be the place reported as having the highest odds of spotting one. The I.T. aide in a college in NYC told me that though she sees nearly always Macs among students & faculty, no Airs.

On a campus with Airs being not uncommon... I imagine that provides a critical mass of people who can compare notes --- so that the business of finding the best sleeves, shoulder bags and maybe even backpacks for it, gains some good traction.
Could you tell us, what did they tend to carry their Airs in?

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Are you a female?

Being female has nothing to do with this.

average-woman-spends-8-years-of-life-shopping.jpg

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I'm happy to hear from the original poster? Did you keep the MBP?
And I welcome any thoughts from you.

P.S. I also think you rock! You responded better to several posts in here than I would have!

Sure! I ended up keeping it. I bought a MacCase nylon bag that is 8 oz lighter than the leather Flight Jacket I'd been carrying. It helped a lot. I also carried it like a purse until I got used to the weight.

I really, really like how much more powerful it is than the MBA. So much that I doubt I'd go back to a Macbook Air without a serious upgrade from Apple. I can't get through a whole deadline with it, because I need my MBP 15 i7 for compositing, but I can do a lot of the Illustrator portion of it. I also put an Intel X-25 SSD and 8 gigs of Ram in it.

I haven't started classes yet, but I think the 8 hour battery life will be extremely handy on campus next semester. The MBA battery would not last two classes and some FBing in between.

I hear what you're saying about weight and carrying other things. It's a big factor. I think for me, the better battery life and the vastly improved power are worth it.

Thanks about the compliment with dealing with the jerkstores in this thread. When you're a girl that chooses computers as a profession, you quickly learn to deal.

Bri

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Scottsdale... I guess you left Porsche before

they came out with that yummy looking 4 door Porsche sedan? I saw one for the first time this summer parked on a upper Broadway, NY. Dark blue. The earth moved. Love at first sight. Then a Fed-X driver double parked, and saw it too. We're both standing there, transfixed, for maybe a whole minute, like a couple of pie-eyed ten year old boys... looking at this thing. LOL

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I bought a MBP 13 for school next semester a few days ago. I'm very seriously considering taking it back to the Apple Store, because the weight is just a little over the edge of what I can comfortably carry.

To give a little perspective, I live in Boston. Parking in my neighborhood is crazy, at least $200 a month. That's more than some people's car payments. For this reason, I share a car with my husband. I bought a motorcycle earlier this year, a 2009 Honda CBR 600rr - a fast, sexy sports bike. I always thought they were badass - but they're also cheap to drive, and can be parked behind my apartment for free.

The down side to this is it means all my gear must really be carried with me - either on the T, by walking, or by motorcycling. I jumped on the T and went to U Mass last night. Carrying 4.5 pounds of computer in a 1.4 pound MacCase Flight Jacket got old very quickly. I have the lighter nylon version on the Flight Jacket on the way, just 15 oz, but I really have to question if it will help.

I'm really wondering if I made a mistake selling my Air. I like the speed of this machine, I like the improved display, I LOVE the phenomenal battery life, but I'm not sure I can adjust to the weight of it. Maybe I should have just traded that standard model for one with an SSD.

Advice is appreciated.
Bri

.......are you 2 foot 1 and 20 pounds? You aren't comfortable carrying a ~5 lb laptop? Also, a sportbike? Wow. Um...you have problems beyond what laptop you carry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.