Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
One of the worst movies I've ever seen is The Island of Doctor Moreau - the 1996 version. You'd think a movie starring Marlon Brando, Val Kilmer and David Thewlis would be good. But no. Nothing and no-one could save this stinking, wretched utter waste of celluloid. Bad acting. Bad script. Bad FX. Just bad all round. I'm embarrassed to say I paid money to see this at the cinema when I was a clueless and bored music student! Should have spent it on booze instead.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0116654/

MV5BYjQxNmM5ODItMGM3Yi00N2VlLTkwNTEtNDZkNzUyYzA3MmIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR72,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Although, I must admit to laughing when I just saw this clip...so it has some comedic value at least...

[doublepost=1492331900][/doublepost]
The latest I have seen is The great wall ....comes to my list of top 5 worst movies ever. My god, what a nonsense o_O
Thanks for saving me over 2 hours of my life. The trailer was tempting me as it looked exciting.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Off the top of my head:

The 3 Hobbit movies. Just an insult to a wonderful children's tale. Jackson later admitted they went into this pretty much clueless, and it shows.
The 2nd and 3rd Lord of the Rings adaptation. Whereas the first movie had some entertainment value, the 2nd goes downhill fast and the third was like running the Gauntlet to a Tolkien fan like myself. Phillips Boyens (the screenwriter largely responsible for the desecration of Tolkien's writing) should be made to write "I should not allow my arrogance to muck up classic works of literature" about a million times, using Dolores Umbridge's 'Blood Quill' [Harry Potter and the Order o/t Phoenix.]
Peter Jackson's King Kong. I'd rather watch paint dry. Jackson should just stick to the cheap blood 'n gore horror genre instead of butchering classics.
Jackie Brown. Major yawn fest. I find Tarantino extremely overrated as a director and haven't watched another movie by him since. Pretty sure I'm not missing much. :)
The Matrix sequels. The original was brilliant, spawning so much story potential ripe for further exploration. Then the Wachowskis ruined it with convoluted story plots, boring narratives "explaining" the story rather than showing it, a "love" story between two characters whose on-screen chemistry could make hell freeze over, endless repetitive fight sequences..... and a subterranean caveman rave. WTF?o_O
The Road. Hated all of the cast members' performances. Especially the kid. And what mother would walk out on her own family/child in times like that!? Awful. Turned it off half way through, no desire to finish it either.

I also can't bring myself to watch most super hero movies. Avengers, Spiderman, Captain America, Pirates o/t Caribbean, The Hulk, X-men, Transformers, etc. Shallow stories, over-dependance on visual effects for no other reason than to serve up eye candy and generally uninspired cinematography. No thanks... just not worth the time.

There are a lot of different opinions in this thread. My agreements and counters :D:

• The Hobbit trilogy was an abomination for anyone who cherished the book.
  • The LOTRs were brilliant from start to finish.
  • The Matrix was incredible, no.2 was good, no.3 was a let down although the fight for Zion was pretty intense.
  • Jackson's King Kong- yes a CGI fest, but I liked the imagery. The bugs creeped me out. I thought the romance between the girl and the ape went overboard.
  • The Road-agreed, why bother?
  • Super Hero movies- there are some outstanding ones with good, not shallow stories and good character development- the first two Tobey Mcquire Spider-Man movies, the first two X-Men movies, the Wolverine origins movie, Mystery Men (humorous), Ant Man-not bad, Hellboy- fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I seldom watch any movies at all, never did, but the worst I think would be Sharknado. Don't even know why I saw it, but I think that my choice speaks for itself.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I've probably posted this before, but when Jackson said he was filming the Hobbit I was excited, LOTR is mostly fantastic, but when it went from one movie to two, I was a little concerned given the quantity of the source material - but _then_ when they made it another trilogy, and I started reading about new characters, additional plotlines, I was actually pissed off a little :D

I'd say there's a good 3 hour movie, even on the longer side two good 2 hour movies (there's a good logical place to split them which is why though the duology wasn't a bad idea).

In additional to removing all the fluff, extra characters, etc., edit them so there's some tonal consistency.

I agree. Yours truly would like to axe Tauriel all together. The more I think about it, the more I would have loved to have seen Del Toro's off the rails version than this.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Sorry, old post but I have to agree. Alfred Molina as Dr Octavius was perfectly cast and brilliantly acted. It's definitely my favourite of the lot. 93% on RT.

The 3rd Spidy however - was a mess. And that dancing scene - what were they thinking?! o_O

So, so bad and cringe-worthy...

Hahha, thanks for the link.

Totally agree. Went into episode 3 with such high expectations. Now the Spider-Man franchise is on its 3rd reboot? None are yet to capture the brilliance of the original episode 2.

What did you think of Tron Legacy? For me it was a brilliantly executed sequel.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Hahha, thanks for the link.

Totally agree. Went into episode 3 with such high expectations. Now the Spider-Man franchise is on its 3rd reboot? None are yet to capture the brilliance of the original episode 2.

What did you think of Tron Legacy? For me it was a brilliantly executed sequel.
Yeah, I enjoyed Tron Legacy. The CGI'd Jeff Bridges was a bit weird though - not sure they got that quite right. IMO CGI'd humans are still not quite out of uncanny valley territory. Case in point: Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One. They were good and obviously a lot of effort went into them. But, for me, not good enough; they snapped me out of the movie. I would have preferred a substitute actor.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, I enjoyed Tron Legacy. The CGI'd Jeff Bridges was a bit weird though - not sure they got that quite right. IMO CGI'd humans are still not quite out of uncanny valley territory. Case in point: Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One. They were good and obviously a lot of effort went into them. But, for me, not good enough; they snapped me out of the movie. I would have preferred a substitute actor.

In the cinema I thought the cgi Jeff bridges looked quite convincing. It wasn't until I watched it at home that the animated CGI style became more pronounced. Maybe it's just me, special effects always seem less impressive on my home TV.

Rogue one, Tarkin was ok because I felt most of his shots had dark lighting, but when they had that big close up of Leia at the end, I felt like you did, the technology has a way to go before it's completely convincing.

But cgi vs stand in actor is an interesting one. For the continuity of the story I can see arguments for cgi, even if it's not perfect.

Non post related, The name zedcars. Are you a fair lady owner? I used to drive a 300zx, love the aesthetics of that car.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
In the cinema I thought the cgi Jeff bridges looked quite convincing. It wasn't until I watched it at home that the animated CGI style became more pronounced. Maybe it's just me, special effects always seem less impressive on my home TV.

Rogue one, Tarkin was ok because I felt most of his shots had dark lighting, but when they had that big close up of Leia at the end, I felt like you did, the technology has a way to go before it's completely convincing.

But cgi vs stand in actor is an interesting one. For the continuity of the story I can see arguments for cgi, even if it's not perfect.

Non post related, The name zedcars. Are you a fair lady owner? I used to drive a 300zx, love the aesthetics of that car.
No, it's from a British TV show from the 60s. I haven't actually seen the show but just liked the name. Didn't realise it was actually the name of a car.

I feel like completely realistic human CGI is within our grasp in maybe 5 years.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Most in my list are some movies that the public thinks are the greatest movie ever made, 3 of which in the IMDB top 10. They weren't just overrated, but bad in general.
There are a lot of different opinions in this thread. My agreements and counters :D:

• The Hobbit trilogy was an abomination for anyone who cherished the book.
  • The LOTRs were brilliant from start to finish.
  • The Matrix was incredible, no.2 was good, no.3 was a let down although the fight for Zion was pretty intense.
  • Jackson's King Kong- yes a CGI fest, but I liked the imagery. The bugs creeped me out. I thought the romance between the girl and the ape went overboard.
  • The Road-agreed, why bother?
The Hobbits trilogy definitely comes to mind. I can't comprehend how Peter Jackson goes from LOTR to that.

I really enjoyed The Road, maybe because I like post apocalypse movies. I only could watch it once because it was very emotional. I just find it humorous that a lot people give the film a bad review because it made them sad.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Suicide Squad, as far as recent movies go.

Such a let down. This movie had two redeeming qualities in my book. I actually liked Will Smith in this, I thought he did a decent job and of course Harley! But that maybe because she looked fantastic! However I wish they would have fleshed out her and the Jokers romance (if you want to call it that) a little more. Heck I would love to see a movie with just those two in it. Give us some back story in to their life of crime together. But the movie as a whole was utter garbage.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Such a let down. This movie had two redeeming qualities in my book. I actually liked Will Smith in this, I thought he did a decent job and of course Harley! But that maybe because she looked fantastic! However I wish they would have fleshed out her and the Jokers romance (if you want to call it that) a little more. Heck I would love to see a movie with just those two in it. Give us some back story in to their life of crime together. But the movie as a whole was utter garbage.

After about 15 minutes of filming they should have scrapped the Suicide Squad film, paid everyone off to leave the set, re-wrote the entire thing as a Harley film where 2/3 in she meets the joker and it ends with her becoming Harley Quinn. Margot Robbie could hold her own as a lead actress.

Second film just her and the joker for the main, then they meet the rest of the characters briefly throughout.

Third film done it as the full Suicide Squad movie, with some obvious changes to story and no back story.

Perfect DC trilogy right there, but no they short their whole load on the first film.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
After about 15 minutes of filming they should have scrapped the Suicide Squad film, paid everyone off to leave the set, re-wrote the entire thing as a Harley film where 2/3 in she meets the joker and it ends with her becoming Harley Quinn. Margot Robbie could hold her own as a lead actress.

Second film just her and the joker for the main, then they meet the rest of the characters briefly throughout.

Third film done it as the full Suicide Squad movie, with some obvious changes to story and no back story.

Perfect DC trilogy right there, but no they short their whole load on the first film.

I would pay for that and I agree 100% about Margot Robbie holding her own as a lead. Bring this one D.C./WB!!!!

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Snow Beast (2011)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623765/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

p8862043_d_v8_aa.jpg
People disappear every year out in the Canadian wilderness - however, this year is different. This year something is increasing the body count. Jim ('John Schneider') and his research team trek into the Canadian wilderness to study the Canadian Lynx every year. However, this year is different. The Lynx are missing. In fact most of the wildlife is missing; Jim and his team, including his rebellious daughter Emmy (Danielle Chuchran), seek to find out why. As they conduct their study, something is stalking them. Something not human. Something that no prey can escape...including human prey! While the research team is trying to find out why the lynx have disappeared, the local ranger ('Jason London') is searching for the answer to what is making tourist disappear; even if it the last thing he ever does... and it is.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I've seen a number of movies I absolutely hated, but they were so forgettable I don't have the slightest clue of what they were.

I have no idea which one it was, but I was dragged to one of the Resident Evil flicks probably about 5 years ago or so - it was awful, and I can't imagine the rest of them were any better.

EDIT: Ah yes, after a quick Google it was the "Retribution" installment. Just terrible.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Sucker punch is the first one that springs to my mind. That was an awful movie.

I'm also a little surprised no one has mentioned 'The Number 23' yet...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Heroes in Hell (1974)

An Italian WW2 movie. It may not be the worst movie but it's one of the worst war movies I have seen.

The worst movie I ever saw is still Battle of Los Angeles (2011) (not Battle: Los Angeles (2011) although this movie was very mediocre / borderline bad).

When they get this bad, it's hard to discern. ;) For a minute, I confused those with Skyline (2010) another kinda aweful L.A. Invasion movie.

docandy

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
Scotland
Event Horizon (1997) with Sam Neill was so bad i cried with despair.

one review; "Paul W.S. Anderson's outer space horror Event Horizon is an example of a potentially great and complex idea given a simplistic and ultimately ridiculous execution."

Reactions: Huntn
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.