Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sorry this is a newbie-ish question, but I'm just now coming to appreciate the subtle differences between minimizing an app to the dock (with the yellow button in the title bar) and hiding it (by holding down the mouse button on the dock picture). It seems to be a big advantage of hiding windows that when you alt-tab to them, they re-appear, whereas minimized windows stay minimized even when you focus on them with alt-tab, until you click on them in the dock.

Ist there any utility or way to make the yellow button hide windows instead of minimizing them?

Or am I missing some elegant aspect of how this is supposed to work? :)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
mkrishnan said:
.....by holding down the mouse button on the dock picture

Is there any utility or way to make the yellow button hide windows instead of minimizing them?

Instead of holding down the mouse button on the dock, you could apple-H, and hide it that way. Works best for me anyways.

If you find a utility to hide window using the yellow button let me know, I like that idea...

bellychris

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
New Jersey
I like hiding windows instead of minimizing them also. What I did is assigned my mouse to hide the app. I use a Kensington Wireless mouse and have it set so if i hit the left and right mouse button's at the same time they will hide the current app.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
I wd love that feature/hack..i never use minimize anyways..

also, option and clicking an icon in dock wd hide it too..

cheers

edit: just googled it..there is an app fr that :) windowshade x..fr 10 bucks..its worth it though..i m gettin it right now :cool:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
abhishekit said:
edit: just googled it..there is an app fr that :) windowshade x..fr 10 bucks..its worth it though..i m gettin it right now :cool:

Wow! I didn't see that in my googling. I'm gonna check it out too. Thanks, abhishekit!

I didn't even notice the "make transparent" feature the first time I saw their webpage. Now that's sounding good. Ghost themed desktop with way too many transparent windows, anyone? :D

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
I actually use Windowshade (it's from Unsanity.com) and I love it, especially on my 12" powerbook. It has a feature that I thought was totally cool called "minimize-in-place" which shrinks the window to about the size of when it's in the dock but it's on the desktop! It's also highly customizable. I would really recommend trying it out.

T

thejazzman10

Is it just me, or does anyone else not minimize windows?? i just use expose!! :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
thejazzman10 said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else not minimize windows?? i just use expose!! :D

I use Expose too, but there are some things I like to be running in the back, but use rarely enough that I don't care to see them, or sometimes I use windows covering part of the screen and want to be able to see bits of the desktop.

Anyway, here's the Ghost look...it's more confusing than gangsta, but I thought it was an interesting idea.... (iSync, iCal, Ad Bk, running behind Safari) :)

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 157
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.