Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colormesilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I wanted to know if you put the thermal paste right between the processor and heat sink when installing a new processor?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
here's a pic of a similar cpu:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Power...sor-/270771543878?pt=CPUs&hash=item3f0b3ddf46

So I put the paste right on the processor?
Some guides were tricky, it seemed like you only put it on certain spots, and one even said to peal back a coating that's on the processor.

You can't peel thermal paste... You can, however, peel thermal pads. Just put a grain of rice-sized dab of thermal paste on the processor. With a credit card, spread it out until you have a paper-thin layer of paste. If necessary, add more paste (in my experience, a lot sticks to the credit card).

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I usually just put a pea sized dot of paste down and then apply the heatsink, and the heatsink spreads the paste across the processor.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
my method:

apply a rice grain size to middle of cpu...get a plastic bag (i use a small clear one) use your index finger to lightly tap the paste to cover the entire top of the cpu...

colormesilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Ok, cool... now I'm getting somewhere. So I should leave the thermal pad on? and just apply a small amount of paste and put the heatsink on and try to run it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.