Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
they are retina now.

They are a bit harder to make out then the old ones on non-retina, but are clear on retina. We could also boost the pixel size by a couple of pixels, which will make them easier to all cases, but then they stand out more.

:D:apple:

arn

Since I'm non-retina (for the moment), I'd appreciate the extra pixels.:D

Renzatic

Suspended
Is it too late to request a change? I don't think :mad: conveys enough emotion. We need something with a little more punch. Something that better gets the point across. To me, :mad: doesn't look mad. It looks more like someone fighting a nasty bout of constipation, or is in the midst of a good, solid sneeze. For this reason, I believe we should change :mad: to...

Anger_Mad.gif

...which does a much better job of showing HRRRRGGGG!

edit: Oh, and these would also be nice.

emot-woop.gif
emot-scared.gif
emot-woop.gif

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is it too late to request a change? I don't think :mad: conveys enough emotion. We need something with a little more punch. Something that better gets the point across. For that reason, I believe we should change :mad: to...

...which does a much better job of showing HRRRRGGGG!

nah not too late. We could get them tweaked. We did get these emoticons made specifically in the style of the old ones.

honestly, these were made over a year ago, we just never got around to deploying them, cause they were going to go with a new design, which seems like it's still a ways out.

arn

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The use of any of these icons makes me think the writer is a child. One should be able to express oneself through text.

Yes. Because you can really convey expression, emotion, sarcasm and tone of voice through just text. What complete nonsense. :rolleyes:

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Yes. Because you can really convey expression, emotion, sarcasm and tone of voice through just text. What complete nonsense. :rolleyes:

Yes, you very much can. This is why novels aren't littered with little smiley faces.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
nah not too late. We could get them tweaked. We did get these emoticons made specifically in the style of the old ones.

honestly, these were made over a year ago, we just never got around to deploying them, cause they were going to go with a new design, which seems like it's still a ways out.

arn

So can be have an option to go back to the old ones?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yes, you very much can. This is why novels aren't littered with little smiley faces.

Novels are stores told from either a third or first person view, often filled with descriptives to explain characteristics, actions and motives from the narrator's point of view. They are not a brief few lines of opinionated text posted on a thread referring to a certain topic.

"I hate Apple."

Now tell me if that quoted statement above is sarcasm or anger. Now imagine it with either a :p or a :mad: after it. See how the mood of the statement changes?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I agree. However, to put this as politely as possible, some readers comprehension level seems to preclude understanding of irony...and the smilie helps.

I have written incredibly heavy handed, sledge hammer subtle, irony...and received replies indicating that the post were taken seriously, without an understanding that they were meant to be ironic.

I certainly am not suggesting that my writing is, at times, not at fault...but the smilies do help in guaranteeing, or increasing the probability of, understanding the intent of the post.

Last edited:

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I agree. However, to put this as politely as possible, some readers comprehension level seems to preclude understanding of irony...and the smilie helps.

I have written incredibly heavy handed, sledge hammer subtle, irony...and received replies indicating that the post were taken seriously, without an understanding that they were meant to be ironic.

I certainly am not suggesting that my writing is, at times, at fault...but the smilies do help in guaranteeing, or increasing the probability of, understanding the intent of the post.

I can't tell... Are you being sarcastic again?
:confused:

:p

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The use of any of these icons makes me think the writer is a child. One should be able to express oneself through text.

Let's add an amendment to the constitution that declares the first amendment invalid for all forms of expression except text?
NA8TO5h.gif

You assume too much. We don't care what you think.

Frankly, I think that you might've misunderstood basic grammar. The collapse of singular and plural in the English language only applies to the second person, not to the first.

While
You don't understand anything of my work.
instead of
Thou dost not understand Anything of my work.
is completely valid,
We don't care what you think.
instead of
I don't care what you think.
however, is not.

Unless maybe you're Schopenhauer or weigh more than 360 pounds, that is.
LoganT said:
:rolleyes: and :mad:

:mad:: I automatically think you're a child who doesn't know how to control their anger.

:rolleyes:: Makes me think you're an immature brat.
Babelfish says that it's Malayalam text, though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.