Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
why don't you tell that to the iPad 3, a device that lags even when doing the 3 finger pinch to home screen animation. :rolleyes:

Ironically that gesture runs well on the iPad original even though it wasn't activated for a couple of updates.

Well except for games they always take ages to concede to shutdown.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Haven't read the comments but this has been long waited for. I don't care much for the app switcher remodel but I need system controls. I don't care if it's in the notification center or app switcher... Just get it to me!

Also I dislike swiping to kill an app, the x is much more efficient when killing a lot of apps.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Some good ideas.

Don't think we'll get quick toggles though.

Apple is trying to get away from that sort of thing, they want you using your device, not thinking about managing settings.

Maybe now Scott Forstall is out this may change, but it's a slippery slope.

It wouldn't be as bad as say, adding a file system, which would completely destroy the iPhone and iPad, but it would add a layer of complexity to all the older, less tech savvy, customers Apple has these days.

This. A lot of people lose sight of the fact that Apple wants to make a device that you use. Not one you have to manage.

shibupgi

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
i want necessary settings option on notification center as a little widget, ie Bluetooth, brightness, WiFi,airplane, location, gprs etc.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
This. A lot of people lose sight of the fact that Apple wants to make a device that you use. Not one you have to manage.

I don't disagree with the philosophy, I just need them to do a little better in accomplishing it. Wi-fi plus cellular would have killed one major reason I want quick toggles, but they removed it.

RicoRich196

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
This ******** about Apple wants everything on all the time and wants the phone to manage it is so dumb.

So should they also get rid of the brightness slider? Should be on auto all the time? How about Airplane mode? Does the device automatically switch itself when I get in the subway? No it doesn't.

How about at work where my 3G service is almost nonexistent and I end up turning Cellular Data off, it adds about 3 hours extra to my battery life than leaving it on. Should apple remove that toggle as well?

The point is, if I don't want it on the option is already there just bring it to me faster. Will people bitch and moan if apple did add toggles? Would it honestly bother you? If it does, kill yourself.

I don't disagree with the philosophy, I just need them to do a little better in accomplishing it. Wi-fi plus cellular would have killed one major reason I want quick toggles, but they removed it.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
This ******** about Apple wants everything on all the time and wants the phone to manage it is so dumb.

So should they also get rid of the brightness slider? Should be on auto all the time? How about Airplane mode? Does the device automatically switch itself when I get in the subway? No it doesn't.

How about at work where my 3G service is almost nonexistent and I end up turning Cellular Data off, it adds about 3 hours extra to my battery life than leaving it on. Should apple remove that toggle as well?

The point is, if I don't want it on the option is already there just bring it to me faster. Will people bitch and moan if apple did add toggles? Would it honestly bother you? If it does, kill yourself.

Uh, chill out. Not one person said that they will remove options altogether. They simply stated that they didn't expect quick toggles. No one said they would complain either.

DavidEther

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010

Wouldn't this make a better case FOR quick toggles, then? Being able to swipe down from anywhere on your phone, shut on / off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. and go about your business sounds way more sensible than fumbling through the Settings app menus.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Wouldn't this make a better case FOR quick toggles, then? Being able to swipe down from anywhere on your phone, shut on / off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. and go about your business sounds way more sensible than fumbling through the Settings app menus.

You'll find a lot of people on a blog site dedicated to Apple that agree with you on that...but what about the 10's of millions of others who also bought the phone/iPad/iTouch that will never care if those features are there?

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
You'll find a lot of people on a blog site dedicated to Apple that agree with you on that...but what about the 10's of millions of others who also bought the phone/iPad/iTouch that will never care if those features are there?
Those people will just ignore it. Why punish people who want these features when everyone else can easily ignore it like people who don't use the notification center and simply ignore it.

I think there are enough of us who want easy access to our most used settings that it would be great if Apple added a quick access toggle. It's not like adding these few quick access toggle buttons will drastically change iOS or get in the way of people who won't use them.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Those people will just ignore it. Why punish people who want these features when everyone else can easily ignore it like people who don't use the notification center and simply ignore it.

I think there are enough of us who want easy access to our most used settings that it would be great if Apple added a quick access toggle. It's not like adding these few quick access toggle buttons will drastically change iOS or get in the way of people who won't use them.

So the obvious question then....why hasn't Apple added them?

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Quick reply and quick compose for messages. That is what I want more than anything. Well that or a jailbreak to allow bitesms on my iphone 5.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
So the obvious question then....why hasn't Apple added them?
That's my point. I'm asking Apple why they don't. I'm not just replying to you but making a general comment about why Apple should have these features.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That's my point. I'm asking Apple why they don't. I'm not just replying to you but making a general comment about why Apple should have these features.

The question was rhetorical...they don't add them because then they become like Microsoft. Adding every single feature they can trying to please everyone making the software bloated and eventually unusable to the majority of users.

"Super users" like many of the folks on this site drive demand for features that really will not become mainstream for quite a while, but when you are in a discussion group on here with like minds it seems crazy that they don't have some of the features they should or could.

I'm not saying you have to dumb yourself down, but if you really look at the "typical" iPhone user, almost all of the requested features listed by the folks on this site would hardly ever or never be utilized.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
The question was rhetorical...they don't add them because then they become like Microsoft. Adding every single feature they can trying to please everyone making the software bloated and eventually unusable to the majority of users.

"Super users" like many of the folks on this site drive demand for features that really will not become mainstream for quite a while, but when you are in a discussion group on here with like minds it seems crazy that they don't have some of the features they should or could.

I'm not saying you have to dumb yourself down, but if you really look at the "typical" iPhone user, almost all of the requested features listed by the folks on this site would hardly ever or never be utilized.

Still I don't see why Apple wouldn't add it.

I think even multitasking, notification center, etc. can be challenging for some people yet Apple added them in.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Adding every single feature they can trying to please everyone making the software bloated and eventually unusable to the majority of users.

Still I don't see why Apple wouldn't add it.

I think even multitasking, notification center, etc. can be challenging for some people yet Apple added them in.
I agree with irDigital0l. People like my dad never uses the switcher dock nor does he use the notification center. He's not the only person I know who is like that and yet Apple chose to add those features. There are many people who only used their iPhones as a phone, email checker, and social media device. For those people Apple would never have to add or update the iPhone or iOS ever again, since it already does everything they want.

Apple doesn't have to add every requested feature, but if there is enough demand then it would be great if Apple offered it. Unless they are making iPhones for the older senior citizen generation who wants a very simple dumbed down phone then in my opinion it would be un-wise for Apple to keep things too basic and simple. The younger generation is growing up with technology so what the older generation finds complicated or unnecessary is very easy and useful for the younger generation.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
LOL, you think Apple is listening or even cares what it's users have to say - especially for semi-advanced features?

People have been begging for timestamps on Messages since day one, a simple feature that every other phone in the past 15 years has had, but we still can't get it on the iPhone.

jinkoh

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
I feel like Apple is holding out on 'innovation' because they want to release basic functionality under the guise of 'new features.' Most people who have iphones (say 85%) don't ever think about the stuff in this thread, honestly. So as soon as Apple updates one tiny thing, such as another row of icons on the homescreen, they go bonkers, thinking it's efffing amazing.

However, it's not. The various things mentioned here, such as quick reply and toggles outside of the settings app, are basic functions. Having basic app and phone settings buried 3 levels down, or the ability to reply to a message 2 levels away would be the equivalent of having the headlight switch on a car inside of the glove box. When you climb into a car, you don't need to press three buttons to turn off the radio, you press one. You press another to turn on the A/C. These ideas seem a lot closer to Apple's human interface guidelines than their own product.

The current design of these things — it's stupid, and the only reason they're holding back is for $$$ (IMO). ;)

Now can someone get them to read this?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
So what percentage of people that drive cars use their headlights or radio every day?

More than those that want to toggle Bluetooth on and off?

jinkoh

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
So what percentage of people that drive cars use their headlights or radio every day?

More than those that want to toggle Bluetooth on and off?

It's true that it's probably less, but the same logic doesn't explain why jailbreaking is so popular. And also, you have to say that the argument about hiding toggles away is a little compelling.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what we think or talk about, honestly. It's like complaining about politics: unless you want to devote your life to changing them, all you can do is vote (buy a device, in this case).

DavidEther

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010

I'd just put them in the same group of people that actually use the Stock widget, Compass app, etc. There are already a few things *still* in iOS that cater to a minority of users. If quick toggles were in a widget, and people didn't care to use it, could simply disable it just like the Stocks widget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.