Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
It seems like Metal does more harm than good. My iPhone used to be perfectly fine before Metal came into the picture.

It's too bad there isn't an option to disable Metal like disabling motion and transparency effects.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I agree.

I think some of the foundation tweaking Apple did on iOS 9 has done more harm than good. It's not just Metal.

Performance is horrible all throughout, and the only improvement I've seen is battery life. And it's not with just one device, but with nearly every single one.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
My 6 plus runs at least as smooth as it did in iOS 8. I did initially run into a problem where it would get hot and drain the battery quickly, but I was able to resolve that though a full reset.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
My 6 plus runs at least as smooth as it did in iOS 8. I did initially run into a problem where it would get hot and drain the battery quickly, but I was able to resolve that though a full reset.
Try the control center. I can almost guarantuee you that it's not buttery smooth. In fact, the control center is smoother on the (non-Metal) iPhone 5 than on the 5S and 6 (all iOS 9 ofcourse).

Reactions: CupertinoSlave

Appledict

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Try the control center. I can almost guarantuee you that it's not buttery smooth. In fact, the control center is smoother on the (non-Metal) iPhone 5 than on the 5S and 6 (all iOS 9 ofcourse).

This is ridiculous, on the 5 Control Center is smoothie smooth but on 5S gosh its sluggish as hell.

Reactions: CupertinoSlave

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Here's something funny.I use Chrome on my Air 2 and since Apple doesn't allow Safari's newest rendering engine to be used by other browsers it always had stuttery scrolling which I dealt with simply because of the sync with my Windows devices.Now in iOS 9 the thing takes 2 whole seconds to load but thanks to Metal it's become as smooth as Safari.The OS still lags because of Metal weirdly.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

This is ridiculous, on the 5 Control Center is smoothie smooth but on 5S gosh its sluggish as hell.

My Control center is smooth on my iPad mini2 and iPhone 5s both running 9.0.2.

I do have issues with 3rd party keyboards since iOS9 (it was very smooth in iOS8:

- sluggish in showing a 3rd party keyboard like Swype (which did release an iOS9 update) especially in Spotlight search on iPhone 5s. On my iPad mini2 is also sluggish in e.g. Safari and some other Apple apps and 3rd party apps.

- 3rd party keyboards not showing sometimes and that it goes back to the stock keyboard (like in Safari and Spotlight search).

msae

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Agreed. If it's any indication of performance, GFXBench tests are lower when Metal is used. I also remember reading some forum where a dev compared his app with OpenGL and Metal, and the OpenGL framerate was considerably higher.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
It seems like Metal does more harm than good. My iPhone used to be perfectly fine before Metal came into the picture.

It's too bad there isn't an option to disable Metal like disabling motion and transparency effects.

Just wait for 9.1

my 6+ runs way smoother on 9.1 then it did on 9.0.2

Reactions: duffman9000

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
My control center is just fine.

All I can say is try the reset.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
iOS 9.1 Beta 4 is worse than 9.0.2 or iPad Air, though 9.1 Beta 4 on iPhone 6 is just a tad better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.