Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Is the iPhone anything other than just a toy for kids who want to show off and people who like gadgets? As of now I can't see it having any more capabilities than a sidekick does, minus the video capability.

I know that Apple is going for ease of use with a smart phone, but I mean you can make it only so easy before you get locked into an interface that's just built for the sole purpose of baby sitting you so you wont screw up anything.

Maybe I was hoping for too much from it, but I don't really see it as special.

OR

Maybe what Apple is advertising on their site isn't the whole deal and I'll just have to wait and see.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Well, other than the copy that I've seen from another company (forgot), the iPhone is one-of-a-kind. None of the other leading smartphone brands like Treo or Palm have ever come close to making a phone like the iPhone. If you don't want it, you don't have to buy it.

Edit: It's already known that the iPhone isn't totally complete yet.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Well, other than the copy that I've seen from another company (forgot), the iPhone is one-of-a-kind. None of the other leading smartphone brands like Treo or Palm have ever come close to making a phone like the iPhone. If you don't want it, you don't have to buy it.

Edit: It's already known that the iPhone isn't totally complete yet.

palm and treo are the same company ;)

But i think many people will buy it. As of now i don't see it being popular with teens because their is a a lack of AIM

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I'm a teen, and I prefer text messaging over the AIM app because it costs less as people on a computer using AIM type faster & more frequently.

Edit: Yup, Sorry about the Palm / Treo thing. :p

scmacdaddy

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2002
LA
I'm a teen, and I prefer text messaging over the AIM app because it costs less as people on a computer using AIM type faster & more frequently.

Edit: Yup, Sorry about the Palm / Treo thing. :p

sorry but that makes no sense. i'm assuming you meant aim costs less. ext messaging is expensive on an plan nowadays. it's usually cheaper to pay for unlimited internet and use an aim app on a smartphone. however texting has the advantage of being 'always on' whereas a person needs to sign into im to get your messages.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
sorry but that makes no sense. i'm assuming you meant aim costs less. ext messaging is expensive on an plan nowadays. it's usually cheaper to pay for unlimited internet and use an aim app on a smartphone. however texting has the advantage of being 'always on' whereas a person needs to sign into im to get your messages.

Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a smartphone. The AIM "app" came with my T-Mobile RAZR. I think it's the same pricing as texting. Now that I read back, my post is confusing. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.