Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
with the airport extreme? Or would we have to hook both of them up in order to use the new "n" on the airport extreme?

thanks!

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2006
not so fast! do you have fios? fios tv? if so its not that easy especially because fios tv uses the verizon routers special purposes (the actiontek router). So please fill us in on what kind of router you have and what service you have, i can help from there

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
not so fast! do you have fios? fios tv? if so its not that easy especially because fios tv uses the verizon routers special purposes (the actiontek router). So please fill us in on what kind of router you have and what service you have, i can help from there

nah we just have a normal router/modem combo from Verizon. we pay like $25.00 a month for verizon internet. we have TV from directv.

if you need any other info please ask.

If I could replace it, would I just install all the cords to the Airport Extreme like they are to the Verizon Router and it would work?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It sounds like DSL, which means you'll need a modem in there somewhere. The new Airport Extreme is just a router.

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
It sounds like DSL, which means you'll need a modem in there somewhere. The new Airport Extreme is just a router.

yeah it is DSL. So it basically would do us no good except for me since i have the "n" capability. i'm trying to cut down on the cords and crap.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah. The only reason I got mine is because my partner and roommate have N computers, so copying files between us is a lot (!!!) faster now.

If it's just you that has N, then I don't know if you'd notice the difference. It's still cool to use to share a printer/USB drive, but ... :)

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
If I could replace it, would I just install all the cords to the Airport Extreme like they are to the Verizon Router and it would work?

that would work fine. just connect the cat5 cable from your verizon modem to your airport extreme -- and you now have wireless. plug your printers and hard drives and scanners into the extreme and they are now wireless too.

but -- the airport extreme "n" has a SEVENTEEN FOOT POWER CABLE that you have to try to stow somewhere.

CRIPES! what happened to the apple minimalist approach?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.