Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I almost lost my iPhone 6+, because it fell out of my pant pocket. It is too big to fit on the body. My wife has a 6 and if I had to buy it all over again, I would buy a 6. The screen is fine, but I also have an iPad with data and so for me, the phone is more for quick navigation, SMS, quick read of e-mail etc. In the end the decision comes down to one's usage and personal preference.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'm a 6+ owner and the thing I love most on this phone is the battery life which is tremendous. But....I'm actually wavering on downsizing to the 6 just due to easier handling and pocket carry. I've actually gotten fairly comfortable holding the 6+ (owned for 2 months now) but I always feel it in my front pocket which is starting to bother me.

Two questions:

(1) For the 6 owners what type of battery life are you getting with the 6?

(2) Any others that have downsized from the 6+ to 6, and are you still happy with it or regret, etc?

Thanks.

I go almost a full work day without putting it on the charger (7am - 7pm). My usage is email, texting, FaceTime, Siri and such.

Strategically, I would wait for the 6s if I were you. This would make the upgrade worth it.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013

(2) Any others that have downsized from the 6+ to 6, and are you still happy with it or regret, etc?

1) I get a full day out of the iPhone 6 - meaning, off the charger at 7am, down to about 20% by 8pm. And I would consider myself a fairly heavy user - streaming radio throughout the day, video podcast at lunch, frequent checking of social media and RSS feeds, etc.

2) At first I regretted not getting the 6+, but after seeing it in the wild and handling it frequently, it's just too unwieldy for one-handed typing (which I do often) and fits awkwardly in jeans. I'm much happier with the 6.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I'm a 6+ owner and the thing I love most on this phone is the battery life which is tremendous. But....I'm actually wavering on downsizing to the 6 just due to easier handling and pocket carry. I've actually gotten fairly comfortable holding the 6+ (owned for 2 months now) but I always feel it in my front pocket which is starting to bother me.

Two questions:

Thanks.

Well OP, I'm possibly doing that very thing right now. I bought a 6 on launch day, sold it and got a 6+ last month.

I just went and bought another 6 because I was missing the portability and ease of use. So now I have both, but I'm not sure I can go back. The screen quality "drop" on the 6 is definitely noticeable. My battery life is worse on the 6 of course, but that's not really a big deal to me because I have chargers everywhere (I usually couldn't go a full day on either...my signal is crap at work and that's draining my battery)

It's WONDERFUL how light the 6 feels in the hand after handling the 6+ for a month. But I'm still not sure I can do it. I might be taking the 6 back to the Apple Store in a week or two. I'll check back in after I've had more time to play with it.

loveleelatina

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
Well OP, I'm possibly doing that very thing right now. I bought a 6 on launch day, sold it and got a 6+ last month.

I just went and bought another 6 because I was missing the portability and ease of use. So now I have both, but I'm not sure I can go back. The screen quality "drop" on the 6 is definitely noticeable. My battery life is worse on the 6 of course, but that's not really a big deal to me because I have chargers everywhere (I usually couldn't go a full day on either...my signal is crap at work and that's draining my battery)

It's WONDERFUL how light the 6 feels in the hand after handling the 6+ for a month. But I'm still not sure I can do it. I might be taking the 6 back to the Apple Store in a week or two. I'll check back in after I've had more time to play with it.

same thing I went through but for me I cant go back to the plus it was just too big and an inconvenience for me to use when out and about. Perfect example of the fact that its a very personal choice...what works for one person may not work for the next.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
I had a iPhone 6 and I ended up switching to a 6 Plus and haven't looked back. I think your mileage will vary and it depends on person to person, but for me it was a easy choice. The larger display for reading sites and media consumption is just absolutely great, and to contrary belief I don't find the 6 Plus to be terribly cumbersome. It's still a very thin device for its size, and with the right case on I don't have issues with it being slippery.

I do lose my "on the go" texting ability and just being able to pull out my phone all in one fluid motion to check things or make calls on it, but having the Plus I just find myself pausing for a second instead of doing it all in one motion, but it's a acceptable trade off for me.

There's many times though where I can still use the Plus with one hand for browsing sites and using apps, I find myself using reachability a lot and it's working well for me, I don't have massive hands either or anything, I'm only 5'10.

I don't wear skinny jeans, My clothing is just a tad on the baggy side so it does comfortably fit in my pocket, and at work I wear dress pants most of the time which have very deep pockets, above all else my phone usually rests on my desk at work most of the day (I have a office job). Same with home, usually rests on my desk or nightstand. Using it at home is absolutely no problem if I'm just chilling on my furniture and texting/browsing with two hands.

I also take the mammoth battery life over the 6 anyday too :)

YMMV, the choice was easy for me.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I had a iPhone 6 and I ended up switching to a 6 Plus and haven't looked back. I think your mileage will vary and it depends on person to person, but for me it was a easy choice. The larger display for reading sites and media consumption is just absolutely great, and to contrary belief I don't find the 6 Plus to be terribly cumbersome. It's still a very thin device for its size, and with the right case on I don't have issues with it being slippery.

I do lose my "on the go" texting ability and just being able to pull out my phone all in one fluid motion to check things or make calls on it, but having the Plus I just find myself pausing for a second instead of doing it all in one motion, but it's a acceptable trade off for me.

There's many times though where I can still use the Plus with one hand for browsing sites and using apps, I find myself using reachability a lot and it's working well for me, I don't have massive hands either or anything, I'm only 5'10.

I don't wear skinny jeans, My clothing is just a tad on the baggy side so it does comfortably fit in my pocket, and at work I wear dress pants most of the time which have very deep pockets, above all else my phone usually rests on my desk at work most of the day (I have a office job). Same with home, usually rests on my desk or nightstand. Using it at home is absolutely no problem if I'm just chilling on my furniture and texting/browsing with two hands.

These are my thoughts exactly!!!

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
same thing I went through but for me I cant go back to the plus it was just too big and an inconvenience for me to use when out and about. Perfect example of the fact that its a very personal choice...what works for one person may not work for the next.

I can understand that, and I now know what my wife goes through, not being able to use her pockets. I can't comfortably carry it in my pockets while wearing lounge/flannel pants and shorts. If I'm moving around a lot or laying down, it will fall out. I mostly wear jeans and khakis, but I have to leave it laying somewhere on those lazy Sundays I guess (so many first world problems lol)

I've all but made up my mind to suck it up and stick with the 6+. Content just looks so much better on it, even though I will miss my easy-to-handle 6. If I couldn't use the 6+ one handed, I would probably downsize.

loveleelatina

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
I can understand that, and I now know what my wife goes through, not being able to use her pockets. I can't comfortably carry it in my pockets while wearing lounge/flannel pants and shorts. If I'm moving around a lot or laying down, it will fall out. I mostly wear jeans and khakis, but I have to leave it laying somewhere on those lazy Sundays I guess (so many first world problems lol)

I've all but made up my mind to suck it up and stick with the 6+. Content just looks so much better on it, even though I will miss my easy-to-handle 6. If I couldn't use the 6+ one handed, I would probably downsize.

one handed? you must have huge hands ;) I could never do anything on it one handed. But I agree its a great phone and that battery life is amazing wish it could have worked for me.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013

I've grown to love reachablility. I use it pretty instinctively now. I can get everywhere on the screen that I need to by using it and it doesn't slow me down too much.

One thing that I am praying Apple changes in iOS 9....I hope reachablility slides notifications down with the rest of the screen so I can action them one-handed.

----------

one handed? you must have huge hands ;) I could never do anything on it one handed. But I agree its a great phone and that battery life is amazing wish it could have worked for me.

Probably should have talked about reachablility first :D

My thumb only reaches up to the middle of the screen, but reachablility does the rest.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I wonder if age plays a role? I remember when cell phones were large. Like that scene in the first Wall Street movie where Michael Douglas is on the beach conversing with a cell phone the size of Maxwell Smart's shoe phone. iPhone 6 plus is diminutive by those standards.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida

I am not going back to anything smaller for sure, I am hooked now since using my 6+ since 10/16. I have no problem using or carrying my phone, in some instance I can use it one handed no problem, I love the bigger screen, battery is amazing, neflix, surfing the internet etc, is just amazing. This is the phone for me, I hope apple will continue to produce them and that's my only concern at this time.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Let's see how many folks owning the 6 upgrade to the 6S compared to those currently owning the Plus.

That is all.

:)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Let's see how many folks owning the 6 upgrade to the 6S compared to those currently owning the Plus.

That is all.

:)
I reckon either the same or more folks would be upgrading from the 6 Plus. Nothing to do with the devices themselves. It's just more likely for 6 Plus owners to be power user or gadget geek types who upgrade phones yearly (or even more often if they're also into playing with other OSes).

I have the 6 and I know I'm upgrading later this year not because I'm not happy with the 6 but because I want to get 128GB or whatever's the highest capacity next version. Sticking with 4.7" unless Apple can drastically reduce size and weight of the 5.5" model.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I'm sticking with the plus without hesitation because I don't own an iPad and I like the screen for movies and TV during downtime. Though I won't be putting it into my skinny jeans because I don't want to tempt fate. My being able to scoot down low and to climb in jeans, because of being fit, will wind up putting intense stresses on the phone. If I've got on loose chinos, then I'll pocket it there. I've always carried a business case and can carry the phone there or I have breast pockets in jackets that work fine with the phone.

paapplefan

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2015
For what it's worth - I'll chime in here. I returned the 6 for the plus and then ended up going back to the 6 (thank goodness for Costco’s return policy!) I only had the plus for a short time, but I knew it wasn't going to work for me. I loved the screen and it had a solid feel, but I just couldn't get used to the ergonomics. Holding it to talk wasn’t an issue, but one hand operation of the screen was of course. Portability was also an issue (I walk, run and hike). The plus fit in my pocket, but I could feel it (the size and the weight). I could have gotten used to that, but I wanted to be able to use an otterbox so I didn’t have to worry about it while it was in my pocket. The plus otterbox was just too big. Turns out the 6 was the perfect size for me.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
For what it's worth - I'll chime in here. I returned the 6 for the plus and then ended up going back to the 6 (thank goodness for Costco’s return policy!) I only had the plus for a short time, but I knew it wasn't going to work for me. I loved the screen and it had a solid feel, but I just couldn't get used to the ergonomics. Holding it to talk wasn’t an issue, but one hand operation of the screen was of course. Portability was also an issue (I walk, run and hike). The plus fit in my pocket, but I could feel it (the size and the weight). I could have gotten used to that, but I wanted to be able to use an otterbox so I didn’t have to worry about it while it was in my pocket. The plus otterbox was just too big. Turns out the 6 was the perfect size for me.

Well it's good that u gave it a test drive, either way they are both great devices. Bought both on 9/19, the 6 for my wife, I have been using my 6+ for cycling and the gym since. And it's been great for me so far I love my 6+, just yesterday I was using my wife 6 just for the fun of it. And even though its a great device it felt so small compare to the 6+, watching vides and suffering the Webb with the 6 is good, but I feel like the doing these task on the 6+ is on another level. As soon as I went back to my 6+ it was like night and day between the two. But like most people the 6+ is not for everyone one, and the 6 is definitely a great device as well, my wife love hers and at the of the day it a win for every one.

I haven't use the Otterbox since the 4s, I think it's over kill unless u are going to war etc. I use UAG Maverick & Spigen tough Armor when out cycling & gym, I had a spill while out cycling and roll on the side where my phone was on. And I was very please to see that my phone was still in great shape not a scratch, was using my UAG case at the time. When not out cycling or gym I use my Apple leather case or Air jacket force. The UAG or the Spigen tough armor will give u the same protection as the OtterBox and they are way less bulky than the Otterbox at the same time.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I own the 6 plus, nice phone especially with the battery life. I owned the 6 previously (I switch phones like every 2 weeks ....literally) and I would say that if both phones had similar battery life then the 6 would be the best hands down.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Whoa that is really weird as the Apple Employee who did my return ALSO said that he purchased a 6+ first and then realized it was too big so he went down to a regular 6.

Maybe you two had the pleasure do deal with the same employee ... ;)

I own a 6+ and am torn if I made the right decision or not. The return window is closed so I try to convince myself that I did. And yes, the big screen and the bigger battery are great. I also have no problem at all to carry the 6+ in my pockets. However, as somebody else already perfectly pointed out with his airport story, it feels SO cumbersome and annoying to quickly grab the 6+ to write a message, take a photo, look something up while walking, let alone if your second hand carries a bag or whatever. At least with my normal hands, I'm definitely NOT able to control it one-handed, no matter how hard I try. (Also, I consider the one-hand software modus a joke – why does it automatically go back to full screen after every input??) In these situations I always regret my decision not going for the smaller 6. But everytime, I sit at home, in the bus etc. and are able to unhurriedly use the 6+ with both hands (one holding it, the other on the touchscreen) I prefer the 6+. With my next phone, I will definitely re-evalute my decision though and not buy that quickly.

By the way, the landscape keyboard is nothing less than a catastrophe. Probably the most terrible decision by Apple I have ever witnessed.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Both are good phones. I ended up sticking with the 6 because I feel like the 4.7 screen really is the sweet spot for every day use. The Plus would get frustrating to use at times because I constantly had to readjust my grip. Also the 6 had consider less lag than the Plus. I understand though that maybe I just got a bad Plus and that I can't really prove that the 6 is faster than the Plus. Just my personal experience.

----------

Maybe you two had the pleasure do deal with the same employee ... ;)

I own a 6+ and am torn if I made the right decision or not. The return window is closed so I try to convince myself that I did. And yes, the big screen and the bigger battery are great. I also have no problem at all to carry the 6+ in my pockets. However, as somebody else already perfectly pointed out with his airport story, it feels SO cumbersome and annoying to quickly grab the 6+ to write a message, take a photo, look something up while walking, let alone if your second hand carries a bag or whatever. At least with my normal hands, I'm definitely NOT able to control it one-handed, no matter how hard I try. (Also, I consider the one-hand software modus a joke – why does it automatically go back to full screen after every input??) In these situations I always regret my decision not going for the smaller 6. But everytime, I sit at home, in the bus etc. and are able to unhurriedly use the 6+ with both hands (one holding it, the other on the touchscreen) I prefer the 6+. With my next phone, I will definitely re-evalute my decision though and not buy that quickly.

By the way, the landscape keyboard is nothing less than a catastrophe. Probably the most terrible decision by Apple I have ever witnessed.

You sound like me a few months ago and I made the switch and am really happy. I'm sure if I put both phones side by side, I'd notice the difference in camera and battery but both are just fine for me.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
My 6 plus was just so gratifying at lunch just now. Noisy cafe, but I donned IEMs and played Breaking Bad episode "Say My Name." Whoa. So cinemascopic with rich colors and clarity; gorgeous defocused parts. My plus is my iPad micro and is my only tablet that also makes calls.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I just did the opposite. I've had a 6 since launch day but I noticed that after getting used to the size of the 6, the 6 plus didn't seem so crazy anymore. So I went and picked one up yesterday from AT&T. I figure I've got two weeks to decide to keep it and if I do I'll sell the 6. The big attraction for me is the battery (I have to charge my 6 throughout the day to get by) and the fact that I use my phone in zoom mode due to my crappy vision. I felt like on the 6 in zoom mode there was very little screen left when the keyboard was up etc. using the 6 plus one handed is more challenging for sure so that will be where I have to see if I can adapt. Using a candyshell grip case helps out on that front too.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I just did the opposite. I've had a 6 since launch day but I noticed that after getting used to the size of the 6, the 6 plus didn't seem so crazy anymore. So I went and picked one up yesterday from AT&T. I figure I've got two weeks to decide to keep it and if I do I'll sell the 6. The big attraction for me is the battery (I have to charge my 6 throughout the day to get by) and the fact that I use my phone in zoom mode due to my crappy vision. I felt like on the 6 in zoom mode there was very little screen left when the keyboard was up etc. using the 6 plus one handed is more challenging for sure so that will be where I have to see if I can adapt. Using a candyshell grip case helps out on that front too.

Good luck. I have a couple of friends that returned the plus for a 6. The plus is nice but in the real world it's too big for day to day activities. Great couch phone though.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Well, I'm back here to eat some crow and admit it: I was wrong about the 6 Plus.

I posted a few weeks back about buying a 6 Plus to try during the 14-day return period. After using it for two days, I decided it wasn't for me and resolved to return the phone and stick with my 6. But, the next morning I decided to try it for one more day. After all, the bigger screen and better battery life were quite nice. And then that day became one more, and then one more, and then two more after that. Somewhere along the way, I realized I had gotten used to the large size of the phone and had subconsciously adjusted my grip to make reaching the buttons easier. I grew to love the bigger screen, and have developed more of an appreciation for the camera on the 6 Plus after using it more. In short, I grew to love this phone after giving it more time.

I still stand by my criticism of the landscape keyboard. It is just not comfortable to use as it is right now. But, my 14-day return period on the 6 Plus ends today and I have decided to keep it. I will definitely miss how perfectly the 6 fits in the hand and how light it is. In the end, the big screen and better battery life of the Plus just won out for me.

Also, for anyone else who is still on the fence, one-handed usage on the Plus has been improved quite a bit by jailbreaking and installing HandyKey and Auxo3. If you are willing to consider jailbreaking your phone, these two tweaks greatly improve the user experience.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
When i first got the phone it was freaking huge. It was more apparent with the defender case on it. I have been rocking it with an apple silicone case and it now feels like the perfect size. I couldnt imagine having anything smaller for a screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.