Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
So I would like to get an external display. I started looking at used XDR displays, and I did find one, though it's still expensive. It is a bit overkill for me, but it is attractive because it has deeper blacks, promotion, and the size of the display, plus rotation. If there were a similar-sized, lower-priced option, I would probably buy that over the pro XDR. I feel like I might find the 27 incher too small.

I suppose what I'm curious about is a few things:

1. It's hard to believe, but this was released in 2019, which, by Apple standards, makes these ancient. There have been rumblings of a new one, but who knows if that will happen and when or what it will cost. So, should I wait it out?
2. Did anyone get one and think they should have gone the cheaper route? I could get 2 27 inches for less than one of these.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'd personally take a 32" 4k 240hz OLED, of which several just came out in the last few months, over an XDR

Not as many pixels, no, but high refresh rate and four to five THOUSAND dollars less
And OLED! (drop dead gorgeous)

I'm not totally unbiased here, as my Hack is now hooked up at 4k/120hz to my LG C3 OLED and I love it

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
So I would like to get an external display. I started looking at used XDR displays, and I did find one, though it's still expensive. It is a bit overkill for me, but it is attractive because it has deeper blacks, promotion, and the size of the display, plus rotation. If there were a similar-sized, lower-priced option, I would probably buy that over the pro XDR. I feel like I might find the 27 incher too small.

I suppose what I'm curious about is a few things:

1. It's hard to believe, but this was released in 2019, which, by Apple standards, makes these ancient. There have been rumblings of a new one, but who knows if that will happen and when or what it will cost. So, should I wait it out?
2. Did anyone get one and think they should have gone the cheaper route? I could get 2 27 inches for less than one of these.
I bought an XDR used on eBay. Unfortunately it came with a chip in the glass so I had to go through a lengthy and unpleasant dispute process which ultimately got resolved completely.

That meant that I had the display for about a month. I can say that it is everything you'd expect. It's gorgeous, works perfectly with Apple and is a terrific size. However once I got refunded, I decided to purchase two ASD instead. I'm not sure if that was the right move or not, but I wasn't comfortable buying another used XDR and the retail price is just too much for me.

Money not an object, I'd love to have fresh out of the box XDR. But I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on it at full price and now nearly five years old design.

thosmatthews

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
I desperately wanted an XDR, and pulled the trigger last year. But ended up with a lot of back and forth due to quality issues that have been fairly documented on here. Dirty screen effect. Vignetting. Dead pixels. Wonky glass (this one may have just been me, but for 6 grand I at least expect the glass to be put on straight!)

Settled with a studio display. Not without its own faults and limitations, but about a quarter of the price.

Anyway, there’s lots of people here who are very happy with their XDR and if I saw a local decent one on eBay, I’d still be tempted to take a look. But probably not brand new at retail now.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
Also, for what it’s worth, there are rumors that Apple will release a new XDR monitor at this year’s developers conference.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
Also, for what it’s worth, there are rumors that Apple will release a new XDR monitor at this year’s developers conference.

Yes I know, that's really part of my question. Should I wait it out? I'm sure there is one being worked on, when or if it will ever be released—or even what it will cost is the real question. I could be this year, it could be 3 years from now

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
Yes I know, that's really part of my question. Should I wait it out? I'm sure there is one being worked on, when or if it will ever be released—or even what it will cost is the real question. I could be this year, it could be 3 years from now

Well, the conference is only a couple of months away. Don’t know about you, but if I had the luxury of time, I would wait to see what Apple announces.

Reactions: theorist9

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I bought an XDR used on eBay. Unfortunately it came with a chip in the glass so I had to go through a lengthy and unpleasant dispute process which ultimately got resolved completely.

That meant that I had the display for about a month. I can say that it is everything you'd expect. It's gorgeous, works perfectly with Apple and is a terrific size. However once I got refunded, I decided to purchase two ASD instead. I'm not sure if that was the right move or not, but I wasn't comfortable buying another used XDR and the retail price is just too much for me.

Money not an object, I'd love to have fresh out of the box XDR. But I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on it at full price and now nearly five years old design.
Do you mind me asking what it went for? I have a Pro Display XDR I am considering selling but shipping worries me.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Thanks! More than I expected to get when I sell mine. Appreciate the reply.
Two years ago. Maybe prices have drifted down. Don't know. I went with the Dell 6K as opposed to trying to find a good used XDR.

babylon55

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
I'd personally take a 32" 4k 240hz OLED, of which several just came out in the last few months, over an XDR

Not as many pixels, no, but high refresh rate and four to five THOUSAND dollars less
And OLED! (drop dead gorgeous)

I'm not totally unbiased here, as my Hack is now hooked up at 4k/120hz to my LG C3 OLED and I love it
I had one, I sent it back. For office use its terrible, the subpixle layout creates unsharp text on the screen. Its so much worser than I thought. I got the Dell 6k monitor now, its miles better for office use and sharp text. Just as sharp as the macbook screen.
For movies and games though the 4k OLED 240hz was amazing.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I had one, I sent it back. For office use its terrible, the subpixle layout creates unsharp text on the screen. Its so much worser than I thought. I got the Dell 6k monitor now, its miles better for office use and sharp text. Just as sharp as the macbook screen.
For movies and games though the 4k OLED 240hz was amazing.

Surprised to hear that!
Which model did you have?

I’ve been using an OLED TV for everything and I’m in love.
I probably have a different sub pixel layout it sounds like

Text looks sensational on mine, at all scaling resolutions I’ve tried

babylon55

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Surprised to hear that!
Which model did you have?

I’ve been using an OLED TV for everything and I’m in love.
I probably have a different sub pixel layout it sounds like

Text looks sensational on mine, at all scaling resolutions I’ve tried
I had Alienware AW3225QF, text in general was just fuzzy, because the subpixel layout is not made for officework.
I also have a good eye sight and I just cant unsee the green und purple frining on the top and bottom of letters.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I had Alienware AW3225QF, text in general was just fuzzy, because the subpixel layout is not made for officework.
I also have a good eye sight and I just cant unsee the green und purple frining on the top and bottom of letters.

Interesting - sorry to hear that

Man I LOVE my OLED TV, for everything
And trust me, I'm very picky and would not tolerate text issues

That's a bummer to hear about..

babylon55

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Interesting - sorry to hear that

Man I LOVE my OLED TV, for everything
And trust me, I'm very picky and would not tolerate text issues

That's a bummer to hear about..
what model do you have?
I think 8k oled is needed to have sharp text with this kind of subpixel layout.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
what model do you have?

LG C3

I've set my wallpaper to rotate every minute and pull from a folder I keep adding to of high resolution shots I've taken and procured over the years

It's my favorite change in years -- ALL day long I'm hitting the desktop view to see another stunning photo at 65" on OLED

This is SO great..

And 120hz!!
I really don't like going back - 60hz feels just sort of "muddy" to me now (I use it on my 2015 15" MBP still)

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
LG C3

I've set my wallpaper to rotate every minute and pull from a folder I keep adding to of high resolution shots I've taken and procured over the years

It's my favorite change in years -- ALL day long I'm hitting the desktop view to see another stunning photo at 65" on OLED

This is SO great..

And 120hz!!
I really don't like going back - 60hz feels just sort of "muddy" to me now (I use it on my 2015 15" MBP still)
Isn't your desktop at 4K on a 65" screen way too big to be usable?

I personally love my XDR in every sense but just wish it had 120Hz refresh rate.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Isn't your desktop at 4K on a 65" screen way too big to be usable?

I personally love my XDR in every sense but just wish it had 120Hz refresh rate.

I use scaling for effective 2304 x 1296 and am 4-6' feet away

It's amazing -- It's so easy on my eyes to be at a more natural day to day, real life, viewing distance

I'm not sure I'm ever going back to being "up close" to much smaller screens

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Two years ago. Maybe prices have drifted down. Don't know. I went with the Dell 6K as opposed to trying to find a good used XDR.

what’s your thoughts about the Dell 6k compared to the XDR? Not taking into account the cost difference…

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
what’s your thoughts about the Dell 6k compared to the XDR? Not taking into account the cost difference…
The only thing the Dell has going for it over the XDR is the camera/speakers - neither of which I use. Text clarity is equal. But in all other ways the XDR is superior. Money aside, I'd 100% rather have the XDR. That's not to say the Dell is a bad option. But it's like comparing a Toyota to a Porsche.

Reactions: MikeDr206
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.