Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BimmerM3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Ive got a graphite iBook G3 that im considering selling because its not of much use to me. Its 366mhz with 193mb ram. How much do these things go for? I know the vintage macs in good condition are getting harder to find. Mines in pretty awesome condition for being 11 years old.

If i was to keep it are there any upgrades besides RAM? I really just want to be able to browse the internet without it crashing. And I, like many AirPort users, cannot connect to a protected network. Neither WEP or WPA. Were any solutions to this problem ever found?

Thanks

Nova77

May 12, 2011
Ive got a graphite iBook G3 that im considering selling because its not of much use to me. Its 366mhz with 193mb ram. How much do these things go for? I know the vintage macs in good condition are getting harder to find. Mines in pretty awesome condition for being 11 years old.

If i was to keep it are there any upgrades besides RAM? I really just want to be able to browse the internet without it crashing. And I, like many AirPort users, cannot connect to a protected network. Neither WEP or WPA. Were any solutions to this problem ever found?

Thanks

You can get more ram in it, but I don't remember the limit. All I can see in terms of upgrade would be to max ram and get an SSD drive with a PATA to SATA adapter. That way, apps would open faster, and virtual memory (use drive when not enough memory atm) would be speed up too, compensating for the lack of ram. Although I must say I don't know whats the IDE (ATA) bus speed on that computer, so idk what to expect... maybe not worth it... definitely worth googling it though!

Also, download Camino for web browsing.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
It's called MintPPC

Upgrade your RAM to its limit, which I believe should be around 576 mb. Then, swallow hard and head over to MintPPC.org. Register. Read instructions. Not once, but twice. Take notes. Connect to internets. Download Debian Squeeze, install Linux Mint LXDE ontop of as directed. Edit x.org config file on reboot.

Presto. Modern operating system and browser (Iceweasel 5, which is Firefox for Debian, 6 is coming thank the lords of kobol ) on a 11 year old compy. Sure won't break any speed limits, and no Flash but Flash is dog doo-doo anyway. Minitubes has been ported but it won't work on a old G3 anyways. When you realize you are sufficiently happy, donate the 29 dollars Apple wanted for Lion to the dude in das Nederlands who made this all possible.

Look! A video of a similar ibook to yours running MintPPC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VAPjN8Cn0A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.