Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rambilt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2024
Hello everyone,

I’m thinking of replacing my desktop PC with a basic Mac studio for Adobe Lightroom photo editing. My question is can I use my current monitor that I am currently using with my PC or do I need to replace it with apple specific product. I really like to minimize my expenses that’s why I’m asking.

v/r

Rick

Reactions: Andrey84

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
As chevyboy60013 indicated if you current monitor does not have a thunderbolt connection (USB-C) or HDMI you will need to get an adapter. I currently use two Dell 32" monitors with no issues.

Reactions: Andrey84

Rambilt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2024
Chevyboy6001 and mmkerc, Thank you very much for your reply. So I would need an HDMI to USB-C adapter to make my monitor work for Mac Mini?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Chevyboy6001 and mmkerc, Thank you very much for your reply. So I would need an HDMI to USB-C adapter to make my monitor work for Mac Mini?

No actually, both the Mac Studio and Mac Mini have a single HDMI port. So if you only have one monitor with HDMI, no adapter necessary. More monitors and you will need adapters or cables that terminate in USB-C (USB-C to DisplayPort for example)

Rambilt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2024
No actually, both the Mac Studio and Mac Mini have a single HDMI port. So if you only have one monitor with HDMI, no adapter necessary. More monitors and you will need adapters or cables that terminate in USB-C (USB-C to DisplayPort for example)
zakarhino, thank you very much for your reply this will help me a lot with my transition to an Apple computer. You are very kind thhanks again.

v/r

Rick

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
zakarhino, thank you very much for your reply this will help me a lot with my transition to an Apple computer. You are very kind thhanks again.

v/r

Rick

If you have any more questions @ me or reply to this message directly so it pops up in my notifications. Glad I could help. :)

Cheers

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
My mini is older, it is a late 2014 and I do not use hdmi, but got an adapter that connects the vga monitor cable to I think the thunderbolt port or maybe it is a dedicated video port, if I remember correctly it cost about $39.99 from the apple store in Chicago

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
HDMI is fine. And you could attach a cheap usb-c hub with hdmi and extra ports to get another hdmi. And use any tv or monitor that takes hdmi. I use two hdmis on my mini.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Mac mini ports on the top, Mac Studio ports on the bottom. Connections are pretty much the same as on your PC computers. If your monitor has HDMI or thunderbolt, or anything else they will work with a Mac, just might need an adapter if it is something older like VGA. Lots of adapters out there for everything as well.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 3.32.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 3.30.43 PM.png

Reactions: picpicmac

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What displays do you currently use?
- manufacturer
- model number
- inputs on back

If you want answers, we need information.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Rambilt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2024
Hi, thank you all for the responses. My monitor is an "HP M32f FHD Monitor" Its got 2 HDMI port and 1 VGA. The max resolution is 1920 X 1080.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
If you've used this monitor for photo work before, it's just plug and play. One HDMI cable, that's it. Most modern monitors will automatically install its own color profile the first time you use it, and you'll be able to select it in systemsettings/display/color. Or you can use a standard sRGB or any other profile.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
If you really want to minimize expenses, you should know that the mac minis with M1/M2 are plenty powerful for most folks. The Mac Studios have more cores, more ports etc., but they're the same basic processors, so the extra $$ is maybe not necessary. Depends on your needs. I used a M2 mini 16GB for a year with Lightroom Classic and Photoshop last year, and the performance was fantastic.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
The display I am using on my late 2014 mac mini definitely is not 4k, and it likely is only 1080, and it works and looks just fine, and I use it for weather radar anytime my storm team is activated due to severe weather in the Chicago area.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You will definitely want to move up to 4K on your display. 1080P just looks crappy on a Mac.
1080p looks like 1080p on a Mac. 4k is sharper. I would not qualify 1080p as “crappy” - it just depends on your needs.

If 1080 supports what you’re doing, go for it. 4k will look “better” - but if you already have the 1080p display, 4k comes with a cost & you need to weigh that against the display improvement.

Rambilt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2024
Hi, you all are very helpful thank you very much. I'll probably stick with my current monitor and probably follow Ben J's advise on Mac Mini M2 with 16GB. I've been retired for awhile and took on photograph as my hobby. My Windows Laptop just doesn't cut it when editing photos in Lightroom Classic. That is one of the reasons I'm switching to an Apple Mac computer.

Will my Logitech keyboard K520 and Logitech Mouse M310 work with Mac Mini?

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Nonsense. "on a mac"? 1080 is a resolution - number of pixels vertically. A good, well-calibrated monitor looks the same on a pc or mac, and if you can can fit what you're doing into that space, it's fine.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/raaw9e

This is not nonsense, I can go on and on but yes 1080P on a Windows machine looks crisp but as I said due to Apple and Mac OS 1080P looks a little blurry. The original OP may be disappointed in what he sees.

I tried this hack as well with the results being just a little better but not much, I bought a 27" Dell 4K UltraSharp on sale for $250.00 and its a huge difference......

Last edited:

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Will my Logitech keyboard K520 and Logitech Mouse M310 work with Mac Mini?
Yes. Most any bluetooth or usb keyboard/mouse will work on a mac. But a lot of keys will have slightly varying functions and many key symbols are different. But they will work. (There's a little app that you can have easily accessible in the menu bar, that can help show what key comes with what key combinations. I think it's called 'Keyboard display' in english.) And many of the special functions/symbols like loudness, brightness, play, mute, etc are different.

Hi, you all are very helpful thank you very much. I'll probably stick with my current monitor and probably follow Ben J's advise on Mac Mini M2 with 16GB. I've been retired for awhile and took on photograph as my hobby. My Windows Laptop just doesn't cut it when editing photos in Lightroom Classic. That is one of the reasons I'm switching to an Apple Mac computer.
Great. If you're very new to the mac experience, I think you'd better prepare for a transitional period. Maybe try and keep the old system running for a few weeks, while you get familiar with how the macOS and basic apps work. Take your time, watch some videos on moving from windows to mac, 'getting started' stuff etc. One of my favourite places for anything on mac explained is Macmost.com on Youtube.

I'm confident that you will find that the M2 Mini is super powerful, can race thru thousands of photos in Lightroom like a breeze, and will last you for many years. Oh, and it's cool and completely silent.

• Love
Reactions: Rambilt

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
There is a difference between the zoomed UI to look-like-1080, and a monitor whose native resolution is 1080p.

The link above, which you embedded, is about a 1440p monitor for which macOS has been set to zoom 133%.
I’m going off personal experience of running a M2 Pro Mini and a HP Z2 workstation into a 1080p monitor, the Mac text is not at all crisp as the HP is. Fact! It’s useable but not a great experience. Going to 4K or 5k makes a world of difference in regards to text.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah I would definitely recommend 4k on a monitor. I have just used basic LG ones that cost around $200 and they work fine. You do need the right cables...like usb-c to displayport....

Here is the one I am literally using with my m1 MBP 13":

Reactions: EdwardC

Rambilt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2024
Hello everyone, thank you all for all the help especially to "Ben J." whom I followed the advised and bought me a Mac mini Pro with 16gb ram and and 512gb hdd. So far I loved that it recognized my old monitor and keyboard and mouse. I immediately updated the software to Sonoma 14.4. So far I'm loving it. Haven't really done any photo editing yet. I just want to let you all know that I appreciate all your help. It made my transition from PC to Mac so much easier. Again thank you all.

v/r

Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.