Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
IMO, the Ipad needs to lose the massive bezel around the edges and adopt the Mini design. I wish they would also lose the bezel on the top and bottom and eliminate the home button. Removing the top bezel might not be possible since the camera is there but Im sure they could at least make it a lot smaller. Id love to see tablets and phones that have a screen that goes all the way to the edge, on all 4 edges.

The bezel has a purpose. Do you realize the reason for the bezel is to have somewhere for your fingers so they don't cover any of the screen at the same time? Then you can grip it and use one hand to navigate without interference from the other hand. As well as see everything and not have to lift a finger out of the way.

Last edited:

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Clearly, Apple is speeding up the refresh cycle because they are starting to get some tablet competition, which is great for consumers. It means they are being pushed to innovate and continue to add features that people want. I am not saying Apple always gets it right, but their track record has been pretty darn good in the rapidly changing consumer electronics industry.

For me, most of the iPad's value is driven by the apps and the ecosystem. As long as I can get a couple+ years of smooth operation from my iPad, I don't care how often Apple refreshes the devices. It's great to see the products continue to improve.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
smaller sizer doesn't seem enough of an upgrade.
I wonder if screen will move up to 326dpi and make standard iOS resolution across the range.

That would be quite unnecessary, not to mention impossible. PPI is not a function of resolution alone. It's the combination of resolution and physical area of the screen, so the only way you're going to standardize PPI and resoloution is if everything has the same size screen.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Japanese blog Macotakara is reporting that a redesigned fifth-generation iPad could arrive in March 2013.
Apple just released the fourth-generation iPad about two months ago, which could make this fifth-generation iPad, if the report is true, the second in five months. The design is said to have taken inspiration from the iPad mini and will be thinner and more lightweight. According to the site, the new iPad will 4mm, 17mm and 2mm smaller in height, width, and depth than the current models.

Wow! if its true..bring it on. Current specifications

iPad 2: 241.2mm (height), 185.7mm (width), 8.8mm ( depth)
iPad 3/4: 241.2mm (height), 185.7mm (width), 9.4mm (depth)
Proposed iPad 5
237.2mm (height), 168.7mm (width), 7.4mm (depth)

The depth is really close to that of the mini. and what's interesting is that.. according Macotakara, it looks like its getting iPad 5 is getting thinner bezels ( with that smart recognition).. hopefully, it doesn't mess up the current experience.

And I think they really focused on reducing the weight, wherever possible.

Specifications change will be minute: Mostly a slightly modified A6X, maybe an upgraded 8mp iSight camera and a jump to 1080p Facetime camera.

I am really praying it properly utilises IGZO, unlike in ipad 3 where it was used as with normal LCD specifications, only because it will help reduce the heat dissipation drastically. I really don't care about increasing the screen quality (increased pixels), because current retina is more than sufficient. Maybe that 1 LED story might be true after all, as well as a thinner battery.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Cue the complaints about frequent updates. Meanwhile, every PC maker but Apple updates their models very frequently, and they should! Just buy what is out when you want it, and update when you feel that you need to. It's pretty simple.

And this way, it's less likely that you'll buy a brand new iPad that's actually been out for a long time (like how the 2011 iMac was in late 2012). This is a good sign of increased effort by Apple to keep their stuff updated.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
new ipad = yay

Another one ? I haven't even gotten over the excitement of the iPad Retina yet (even those its the same as the iPad 3) with a different connector.

In order to make it lighter, you cannot made it bigger.. Knowing this, I'll keep my 3rd gen, or maybe get the 4th (just for the sake of me complaining about i need to get all new cables later on ).

Seems, there's a slight issue between this and the first article ...... the middle is "June" 6 month either way.... Not July...

Why would Apple ramp up production, when are in diet straits with trying to do the iPhone 5 and mini ? Prepare to be doomed, all over again, if they do.

But then again.....

It COULD just be a rumor :) that's my guess.

FYI. if this did go through, Apple would technically throw me off-balance. :(

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
iPad 5, with an all-new Retina Plus display. Take that competition!

Is that like Apples HD "+" movies ?

"Now with even more pixels"...

Oh.... I will feel the headache on this one.

I don't wanna be carrying a bookcase round with me.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
I now have the iPhone 5 and the iPad 4. These two devices have reached, to me, an operational plateau. Both respond extremely fast to touch and networking. They seem to be limited not to their own processing power at this point, but the network they are on. Extremely efficient processing.

I imagine the next iPad and iPhone will be more about design than substance.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
iPad Mini
-Retina display
-A6X chip
-1GB RAM

Everything else remains the same.

Oh my...yes!

Yes, that's what I'm waiting for. Well, maybe Apple could give the iPad mini an A7 so from a performance perspective it wouldn't be inferior to its bigger brother & the iPhone.

As for the iPad 5 coming in March, I'm sure Apple can't wait to release a regular iPad that fits in with the iPad mini and iPhone 5 from a styling perspective (also making it lighter and more comfortable to use). The iPad 4 feels obese compared to the mini. I think once the lighter, differently styled iPad 5 comes out, a lot of people with the first 4 generations will feel somewhat inferior with their bulky 3-year-old design iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.