Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I'm just going to take the band off my watch and carry it in my pocket to keep it safe from the outside world.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
I dont see what all the complaining is about.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with putting one of these on a sport watch if you are going to go mountain biking or hiking or anything where you could fall or let the face graze a rock. The xion glass is not protected by any type of raised bezel as you see on many sport oriented watches. according to test videos, the x ion glass does scratch, not easily, but it does.

Sure these things make the watch look like a g-shock, but thats not a bad thing if you are out in nature, not at a party or on a date or something.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Haven't seen anything this ridiculous since the Swatch rubber band screen protectors in the '80s! The funny thing is that none of these cases provide any protection for the screen, which on the Sport models, seems to be the most vulnerable part!

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I dont see what all the complaining is about.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with putting one of these on a sport watch if you are going to go mountain biking or hiking or anything where you could fall or let the face graze a rock. The xion glass is not protected by any type of raised bezel as you see on many sport oriented watches. according to test videos, the x ion glass does scratch, not easily, but it does.

Sure these things make the watch look like a g-shock, but thats not a bad thing if you are out in nature, not at a party or on a date or something.

I couldn't agree more. Active lifestyles do support this invention. I just looked at my pebble, no more than 18 months old, scratched to hell because I use it for all things mobile. I don't wear my rolex when I'm working, moving equipment, etc. I always take it off and put it in my bag. My pebble however, I would do everything in. I think the same would apply to my Apple Watch, so the days I'm working, I wouldn't mind having some added protection. Not everyday of course.

jaarso

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
A protective case for a watch? It makes the watch look like ass. An absolute ridiculous product.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Why all the hate? If I had an Apple watch I'd like to use it when biking or snowboarding but wouldn't want to risk damage if I fall. This would protect it nicely, then pop it off when done.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I thought that action proof case looked pretty cool, especially with the watch face.

I wonder if any of the cases will add any kind of water resistance.

This being said, I haven't ordered an Apple Watch, and don't see a need for one in my life at the moment. But am open to the possibility.

tylerdw89

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I find these just horrid and destroys the beautiful time piece Apple created. I bet Ive dies a little every time he sees these.

But to each their own. If you've got the money to spend on this and want it, buy it.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
These are just ridiculous.

Yeah, it's so ridiculous some people want to protect their Apple watch from getting scratched and damaged. Everyone doesn't work in an office or go to college. Your useless comment really isn't necessary. Out of all the Apple sites I frequent, macrumors definitely has the most whiners.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
I find these just horrid and destroys the beautiful time piece Apple created. I bet Ive dies a little every time he sees these.

But to each their own. If you've got the money to spend on this and want it, buy it.

The same could be said about iphones, and yet i see no one complaining about it.

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Disagree with most commenters. Great idea. Love the elegant design of Watch for casual and normal activities. But I like to rock climb, mountain bike, do carpentry, and other activities that could scratch the watch. Would be nice to have a slip on protector for those occasions. Why wouldn't you protect a $350 or more investment but also make it useable?

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I just paid an extra $200 for the sapphire display and stainless steel model so I wouldn't have any scratches on the screen. I'm not covering up my beautifully designed watch with an ugly case. Scratches on the body of stainless steel don't bother me, and I think gives the watch character. Nope. My watch shall go naked. Now... If Apple can get around to getting me my Milanese loop, we'll be all set. :)

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
What about a thin cover?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I'm not saying you should buy a case but maybe this snap on model for the times you want to track your activity but otherwise know you should have removed the watch.

I bought this case in black, mainly because I'm hoping its thin enough that I'll want to wear my stainless as a black watch the majority of the time and take the case off when I need my shiny steel for dressy occasions.

The case wasn't expensive so it's worth a shot for me

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2014
Cases are a good thing.....and here is why!

A traditional watch only does one thing, but you can buy it in an unlimited number of shapes and styles.

The Watch is the ONLY choice that does what it does. Not counting bands, it really only comes in one style with slight color variation.

This is fine if you like sleek tech looking watches. Not everyone does!!

Even the 42mm is tiny by many watch standards.

So these and future cases can add some much needed bulk and individuality to an otherwise bland looking watch.

I personally love BIG mechanical military/diver/flight/racing inspired time pieces. I'm a big adventurous outdoorsy type of guy! The tiny sleek 42mm techy looking watch looks totally silly and out of place on me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.