Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I wouldn't be interested in a 7.85 inch iPad. The current size is about perfect for me.

kdarling

macrumors P6
That's a good point, but considering his statement against 7 inch slates I'd expect it wouldn't be that.

1) Jobs was famous for naysaying something Apple didn't sell (yet).
2) Apple has a huge hole in their product line.
3) Jobs is gone.

To be honest I'm against a 7 inch slate but regardless I see Apple sharing Steve Job's mentality about this. I considered a Kindle Fire for myself but I fear it's too small.

Depends on what you're doing, of course. That's why real life currently has so many different sizes of books.

Do we only carry around living room table books? Do we shun paperback books? Of course not. There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all.

My experience has been that once people have a 7" tablet, they tend to use it a lot for pick up and go reading, surfing and games, simply because it's lighter and more portable. You can actually hold one in your hand for hours at a time, unlike a bigger tablet that you have to rest somewhere. You can carry it in a purse or even in a jacket pocket, and throw it into a glove box.

I'll go further: I can even visualize a use for a lighter 5" device for my 2-5 year old grandkids in the backseat of the car.

My family has already found that we have uses for everything from phone size up to iPad (and probably beyond) size. It just doesn't make sense to try to take a single size and shoehorn it into every situation.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
3) Jobs is gone.

Depends on what you're doing, of course. That's why real life currently has so many different sizes of books.

Do we only carry around living room table books? Do we shun paperback books? Of course not. There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all.

My experience has been that once people have a 7" tablet, they tend to use it a lot for pick up and go reading, surfing and games, simply because it's lighter and more portable. You can actually hold one in your hand for hours at a time, unlike a bigger tablet that you have to rest somewhere. You can carry it in a purse or even in a jacket pocket, and throw it into a glove box.

I'll go further: I can even visualize a use for a lighter 5" device for my 2-5 year old grandkids in the backseat of the car.

My family has already found that we have uses for everything from phone size up to iPad (and probably beyond) size. It just doesn't make sense to try to take a single size and shoehorn it into every situation.
I understand that, I do agree a 7 inch device would fit the needs of many and even a 5 inch device as well. I just don't see much profit in it for Apple. Is there really a market large enough that wants a 7.85 inch iPad but not a 9.7 inch iPad?

The weight of the iPad Mini would be quite similar to the iPad due to the materials used, and the price won't drop that much. Will they really draw enough new customers to make it a worth while endeavour? Are there millions out there who aren't buying an iPad because it's two inches too big?

What I think would be good for Apple is to not shrink the iPad but enlarge the iPod touch and have both a 3.5 inch and 5 inch model.

littlemeg27

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
Its a good idea.

I think a smaller ipad would be great, i work at Best Buy and have a LOT of people shy away from the ipad because its just to big.

The Android Tablets are for crap, half of them just the demos keep crashing apps, not loading right etc. I think google hasn't taken enough time to pretest the systems. I also believe from the manufacture side they need to take more time on the hardware side of it i have seen a lot of complaints about it. Also if you walk into a Best Buy your gonna see like 12 different Android Tablets, which one do you pick? Usually its the one with the best offers that week that sells.

I cant wait to see what HP brings to the table either. But i do love the ipad and the endless amount of stuff you can do. Also how easy it is to use its why a lot of people buy it.

----------

Is sorta for crap, if you play with it and look at the email apps unless you have a yahoo or gmail or some other email you have to get an app that is $9.99 also its slow, crashes a lot and itsnt expandible

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
7.5-Inch iPad

I was flying home on a west to east coast flight and was amused at an older woman (I am 58) who seemed to be "futzing" and struggling with her KF. She seemed to had a need to press very hard against the screen for it to respond to anything (though that may have been what was causing it to not respond).

I had pre-ordered a KF, but then cancelled my order. I purchased a refurbed "ultimate" iPad 2 and absolutely love it!

Of course with the iCloud, it get reminder's on all 3 of my devices (iPhone, iPad and my Macbook "Pair"). Not sure how I feel about that.

Have been using the iPhone since it came out in 2007, upgraded to the 4S (3rd model upgrade), converted my laptop and purchased my iPad all in 2011, maybe I should buy stock instead, LOL!

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
There definitely is room for a smaller iPad, there's no point in denying that. I personally find the 7" too small and theiPad 2 too big, the size of the Galaxy Tab 8.9 seems perfect to me.

7" is like a netbook, iPad 2 is like a 13" notebook, 8-9" is like the MBA 11" :p

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Yes there is definitely a place for a smaller device and I'm all for it. The actual size is what the arguments are about. The Touch was that device for a long time and may be still. The fact that there was no new model for 2011 and that the new iPhone is strongly rumored to be a 5 inch device leads me to expect a 5 inch device to be the next incarnation of the Touch. It would be portable and pocketable. Some are saying the pocketbook size is perfect but I disagree. First just look at one - that seven inch length is in a widescreen format (actually 7x4) which is totally incompatible with the standard IOS screen formats. Convert to a 4x3 (7x5.25) screen and you see it won't fit at all now in a pocket. It's gonna have to be a 5inch iPhone/Touch format (3x2 aspect ratio) and will use the iPhone apps not the iPad apps. Enuff said.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
We won't see a 7" iPad. Jobs finally cracked the TV - it's a 50" iPad

I think Apple may have started the 7" iPad rumour to throw Samsung and the other plagerists off for awhile but they'll definitely be going the other route - 13, 15, 17, 27, 50" iPads and why wouldn't they, who wouldn't like a 15" in the bedroom or a 17" hanging in the kitchen, maybe a 20" for graphic designers, these things are the new TVS, a 50" iPad as your living room TV, Jobs finally cracked the TV - it's a 50" iPad, your iPhone with Siri as the remote/joystick controller for games.

Tablets are the new TVS, I think we'll see an iPad 3 but we won't see a 4, it'll be choose your iPad:

iPad 10, iPad 13, iPad 15, iPad 17, iPad 27, iPad 50.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I would agree that there won't be a 7 inch iPad. The reason that non apple manufacturers use that size is not because it is better but because Apple pretty well cornered the market on 10 inch screens so they had little choice but to go to 7 inches if they wanted to make a product.
Your statement about a 50 inch iPad TV is a bit bizarre though. I don't know what you are smoking but I hope you brought enough to share. An iPad TV makes no sense because who is going to want to get off the couch and walk up to the TV to touch it? That's why remotes were invented and if you have a remote then why do you need a touch screen on the TV? yes a touch screen remote is the solution and that could be an iPad or iPhone via BlueTooth but no one is going to run up to the TV to change channels or volume by using their fingers.
As for slightly larger iPads - well maybe but what's the difference from that and an all in one touch screen/computer which we already have. I personally don't like those as it is easier to just use a mouse on the table surface. Touching is great when you are mobile but a mouse gives you greater precision and speed when you are working at home or in the office..

Last edited:

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
what have I been smoking ? hmm really ?
You don't think Apple wouldn't like to get some fat coke drinking americans off the Sofa maybe to physically change / touch the TV channel rather than have you porkers just sit like droned out pigs switching endlesslessly with a remote, I reckon it's a great idea if you can touch too why the heck not, exercise time america.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
who the **** uses the term "slate" - do people actually call them that?

i thought that was balmer's idiotic thing to try to separate MSFT from the rest of the people creating tablets.

slate? so... you're equating something you are building to a heavy, lifeless, dull, boring piece of sediment?

3) Jobs is gone.

kdarling

macrumors P6
who the **** uses the term "slate" - do people actually call them that?

Yes, and they have done so since for at least a decade with respect to electronics.

i thought that was balmer's idiotic thing to try to separate MSFT from the rest of the people creating tablets.

Nope, he was using the original industry term for a tablet without a keyboard.

The iPad is a slate.

slate? so... you're equating something you are building to a heavy, lifeless, dull, boring piece of sediment?

Yes, when used as a writing material. For example, slate used to be used everywhere for blackboards.

More to the point here, school children used to carry slates.

Therefore the term slate came to mean any flat writing board. The iPad is an electronic slate.

Notice the iPad like shape of this 1950s school slate photo from Wikipedia:

Schiefertafelmitschwamm.jpg

Last edited:

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Yes, and they have done so since for at least a decade with respect to electronics.
a decade ago, sure (aside from balmer during his crazy rants). i have never in my life heard anyone refer to an ipad as a "slate" - its _always_ referred to as a tablet (or more specifically, people just say ipad, because apple has that market saturation)

Nope, he was using the original industry term for a tablet without a keyboard.

The iPad is a slate.
living in the past.

Yes, when used as a writing material. For example, slate used to be used everywhere for blackboards.

More to the point here, school children used to carry slates.

Therefore the term slate came to mean any flat writing board. The iPad is an electronic slate.

Notice the iPad like shape of this 1950s school slate photo from Wikipedia:

oh, okay- so likening it to a slate you'd draw on in the 1800s. i getcha.

you've not proven anything to me, you've just reiterated the same thing with a picture. i know the etymology. that's not the point.

slate is an outdated "industry term" that gets used by balmer and maybe some PC people. which i guess isn't surprising why jobs never referred to it as a "slate", much like he never referred to a portable as a "laptop" - old terms, old devices, and descriptive of things in a way people don't even use them.

kdarling

macrumors P6
a decade ago, sure (aside from balmer during his crazy rants). i have never in my life heard anyone refer to an ipad as a "slate" - its _always_ referred to as a tablet (or more specifically, people just say ipad, because apple has that market saturation)

There are lots of profession specific words that common folk don't know about, whether we're talking about the tablet industry, airlines, medical, whatever. That doesn't mean they throw away all the rest of the terms the moment someone outside the business learns just one or two buzzwords.

The fact that you hadn't heard "slate" used before (electronic or not) is irrelevant. The tablet universe (and the use of "slate" for school or diver or whatever boards) was around for a long time before you finally became aware of it.

The iPad is a slate, which is a subform of a tablet, so it's perfectly fine to call it a tablet. But if Balmer had not used the term "slate" onstage, I highly suspect that Apple would've used it themselves just to be different. There's no doubt that experienced people at Apple knew the term as well.

njr140

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's exactly what I want. A bigger iPad. Maybe even running on osx and call it something else. Image iMovie on a 21 inch touchpad. It would be amazing.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Job's opinion about 7 inchers should be taken with a grain of salt.

It comes from the same guy that basically destroyed the 11" subnotebooks of sony at his keynote speech when he introduced the macbook air in 2008. Saying that the screen was too small, can't have a fullsized keyboard. Yet in 2011 he actually launched a 11" version of the mba himself.

In fact his keynote is still on youtube here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF80Fu1t6U8

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
It comes from the same guy that basically destroyed the 11" subnotebooks of sony at his keynote speech when he introduced the macbook air in 2008. Saying that the screen was too small, can't have a fullsized keyboard. Yet in 2011 he actually launched a 11" version of the mba himself.

To Jobs' credit, the 11.6" version of MBA was surprisingly uncompromising in trackpad and keyboard and definitely heck of a lot better than the older Sony subnotebooks in those regardss. So Apple actually fixed some of the shortcomings they had identified before following that path. The same could well be true for the "inbetween" tablet sizes. I don't know how they'll address that segment though.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
What the iPad Look and Feels Like?

" Get this, Apple filed accusing Samsung of copying “the look and feel” of its iPad tablet and iPhone smartphone."

"All I can say is;
Thank God Apple has not yet developed a scratch and sniff app that allows blindfolded users to experience the “smell, taste, and fuzziness” of the world’s most famous tablet."

applespygirl.jpg

http://www.pamil-visions.net/does-apple-need-an-investigations-bureau/236049/

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.